Sports Huddle Recap Help Needed

DL65

Reaction score
Sunday we will be enjoying a family Christmas gathering. As a result, I will not be covering the Sports Huddle on New Years Day. I'll be back the following Sunday.

Hopefully short ornery Norwegian (SON) can fill in. If he's unable to cover the Tracy Claeys segment, I would appreciate it if someone would step up.

Thanks in advance!

DL65

Go Gophers!!

Sunday we will be enjoying a family Christmas gathering. As a result, I will not be covering the Sports Huddle on New Years Day. I'll be back the following Sunday.

Hopefully short ornery Norwegian (SON) can fill in. If he's unable to cover the Tracy Claeys segment, I would appreciate it if someone would step up.

Thanks in advance!

DL65

Go Gophers!!
I didn't listen, but Joe Christensen did, here's his recap: http://www.startribune.com/tracy-claeys-stumps-for-his-future-as-gophers-football-coach/409160445/

Thanks! This is almost as good as DL65 but not quite!

Shoot - haven't checked Gopher Hole before now. (3:15pm Sunday) Sorry.

I listened to the Claeys segment, but didn't take notes. Here's what I remember.

as far as the incident - as Joe C said in his Strib article, Claeys did not want to speculate about what might happen. Said he wasn't sure about the details, but expected to meet with Coyle this week. He also stressed the positives with the program - relatively small number of off-field incidents - higher GPA, higher APR, higher graduation rates among players. Again reiterated that no one on the team is condoning or supporting sexual assault or harassment. But admitted that coaches are dealing with 17 to 22-year old young men, and off-field incidents will happen.

As far as football-related stuff.

Talked about the game plan for bowl game. Said they didn't do that much that was different - but tried to show WSU different looks on defense (that they hadn't seen on film from previous games). Said the fact that WSU does not present a run threat made it easier for the D to focus on the passing game - and because they're a spread team, that allows the Gophers to use more LB's in pass-rush situations. Mentioned how that scheme allows them to use Cashman in more situations (as opposed to a physical run-oriented team). Praised Cashman's ability to make plays. Talked a little bit about mechanics for giving a scholarship to a walk-on. Said the walk-on needs to be in the program for 2 years, and then you can award a scholly without it counting against the next year's scholly limit.

Claeys also talked about relative youth of team - a lot of FR and SO making contributions. Made sure to praise the SR's for their leadership and contributions, but noted it's a fairly small senior class, and said the future is bright.

Dave Mona asked how the coaches prepare for next year with the uncertainty about whether the "Gopher 10" will be available - noted the QB situation. Claeys said at this point, the staff is basically going out and trying to recruit players at every position every year - "recruit a full team" as he put it. Said they do not have to focus on any specific position area in recruiting - more of a focus on building overall depth. I don't think he addressed the QB depth chart directly.

Claeys said they're currently in a no-contact period for recruiting, but can make phone calls. Later in January, they can go out on the road. Said the coaches have been calling all the players who have made commitments to keep in touch and let them know what's happening. Said last year was a good recruiting class, and they expect the new class to be comparable. Feels recruiting is going well.

Subject of Matt Leidner came up. Claeys said the coaches did not know for sure until the day before the game that Moore would not be available. Had Matt L and Pirsig practicing at center - but Pirsig really did not want to have to play Center in a game, so he was rooting for Leidner to do well. Claeys also talked about how the extra bowl-game practices allow the coaches to give more reps to back-ups like Matt Leidner.

Mike Max gave his take on the situation - Max said he thinks Claeys will be back. Said there is a lot of support for Claeys among parents and boosters that he (Max) has spoken too. Max also said that he believes the players respect Claeys and want to play for him. Thinks people are making way too much of a big deal over one tweet. Max and Dave Mona also talked about all the good kids on the team.

Claeys also mentioned that he visited Sid in the hospital before the bowl game, and hopes Sid will make a speedy recovery.

That's the best I can do from memory. If anyone else remembers something, feel free to chime in.

Nice job! I for one hope that Claeys is coach for 20 years. If so that means the Gophers went on a hell of a run! Happy New Year to all the Gopherholers!

Wow! I like this report better yet! Give us the "human" side of things.

Thanks SON!

Claeys does make some good points in the Christensen article:

"We feel like we continue to get better," Claeys said. "We feel like this has been the best year since we've been here. The kids — our team's GPA is above a 3.0 and has been six of the last seven semesters.

"And our graduation rate is as high as it's been since they started keeping it, and the same with the APR [Academic Progress Rate] — to be the highest public school in the country with the APR. So not only are we getting better on the football field, the kids are going to class, they're graduating."

"I think our instances have been very minimal," Claeys said in his weekly WCCO appearance. "And obviously, on some things, one is too many and we're trying to avoid them all the time. But we need to deal with 17- to 22-year-old kids. Every now and then you're going to have something that you have to deal with.

"But we feel like those are very minimal instances, if you look over the last five or six years, so we feel very good about where we're going."

Anyone hear anything about the injuries to Durr and Richardson? Particularly Durr?

Biggest thing to come out of sports huddle was some twins rep saying they're thinking about expanding to a 26 man roster so teams can carry a 3rd catcher.

Shoot - haven't checked Gopher Hole before now. (3:15pm Sunday) Sorry.

I listened to the Claeys segment, but didn't take notes. Here's what I remember.

as far as the incident - as Joe C said in his Strib article, Claeys did not want to speculate about what might happen. Said he wasn't sure about the details, but expected to meet with Coyle this week. He also stressed the positives with the program - relatively small number of off-field incidents - higher GPA, higher APR, higher graduation rates among players. Again reiterated that no one on the team is condoning or supporting sexual assault or harassment. But admitted that coaches are dealing with 17 to 22-year old young men, and off-field incidents will happen.

As far as football-related stuff.

Talked about the game plan for bowl game. Said they didn't do that much that was different - but tried to show WSU different looks on defense (that they hadn't seen on film from previous games). Said the fact that WSU does not present a run threat made it easier for the D to focus on the passing game - and because they're a spread team, that allows the Gophers to use more LB's in pass-rush situations. Mentioned how that scheme allows them to use Cashman in more situations (as opposed to a physical run-oriented team). Praised Cashman's ability to make plays. Talked a little bit about mechanics for giving a scholarship to a walk-on. Said the walk-on needs to be in the program for 2 years, and then you can award a scholly without it counting against the next year's scholly limit.

Claeys also talked about relative youth of team - a lot of FR and SO making contributions. Made sure to praise the SR's for their leadership and contributions, but noted it's a fairly small senior class, and said the future is bright.

Dave Mona asked how the coaches prepare for next year with the uncertainty about whether the "Gopher 10" will be available - noted the QB situation. Claeys said at this point, the staff is basically going out and trying to recruit players at every position every year - "recruit a full team" as he put it. Said they do not have to focus on any specific position area in recruiting - more of a focus on building overall depth. I don't think he addressed the QB depth chart directly.

Claeys said they're currently in a no-contact period for recruiting, but can make phone calls. Later in January, they can go out on the road. Said the coaches have been calling all the players who have made commitments to keep in touch and let them know what's happening. Said last year was a good recruiting class, and they expect the new class to be comparable. Feels recruiting is going well.

Subject of Matt Leidner came up. Claeys said the coaches did not know for sure until the day before the game that Moore would not be available. Had Matt L and Pirsig practicing at center - but Pirsig really did not want to have to play Center in a game, so he was rooting for Leidner to do well. Claeys also talked about how the extra bowl-game practices allow the coaches to give more reps to back-ups like Matt Leidner.

Mike Max gave his take on the situation - Max said he thinks Claeys will be back. Said there is a lot of support for Claeys among parents and boosters that he (Max) has spoken too. Max also said that he believes the players respect Claeys and want to play for him. Thinks people are making way too much of a big deal over one tweet. Max and Dave Mona also talked about all the good kids on the team.

Claeys also mentioned that he visited Sid in the hospital before the bowl game, and hopes Sid will make a speedy recovery.

That's the best I can do from memory. If anyone else remembers something, feel free to chime in.

Thanks for doing the recap. I have to reiterate my Claey's being tone deaf. If you quoted him correctly in describing last year's class as a "good recruiting class" with Green, Winfield, Williams, T. Johnson, McCrary, and Djam...6 of the suspended members. He lost his job because of his unwavering support of these guys...he was great at coaching football. I think it is sad he is horrible at mentoring young men.

Thanks for doing the recap. I have to reiterate my Claey's being tone deaf. If you quoted him correctly in describing last year's class as a "good recruiting class" with Green, Winfield, Williams, T. Johnson, McCrary, and Djam...6 of the suspended members. He lost his job because of his unwavering support of these guys...he was great at coaching football. I think it is sad he is horrible at mentoring young men.

I'm guessing your parents tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom