Gophers Journey to the Tourney: Updated Through Michigan

A notch in the "must win" belt

Gophers won in Piscataway, all that matters at this point win games.

If the Gophers simply win their home games the #4 seed in the B1G Tournament is very much in play. All it would take is Nothwestern to finish 10-8 and Michigan State to finish 9-9, both possible.

Moving forward Murph was far & away most encouraging thing about last night. But I want to see it 2 games in a row. Then 3 games in a row. He needs to be engaged like that from here on out, not just sporadically.
We're up to two in a row.

This is how the Gophers RPI projects out based on finishing with the following record(Not including any B1GT scenarios)

24-7(12-6) - RPI of 17
23-8(11-7) - RPI of 20
22-9(10-8) - RPI of 24
21-10(9-9) - RPI of 28
20-11(8-10) - RPI of 35
19-12(7-11) - RPI of 45
18-13(6-12) - RPI of 58

I think based off of these numbers getting to 9-9 would pretty much get the Gophers a bid.

Gophers won in Piscataway, all that matters at this point win games.

If the Gophers simply win their home games the #4 seed in the B1G Tournament is very much in play. All it would take is Nothwestern to finish 10-8 and Michigan State to finish 9-9, both possible.

MSU needs to lose to OSU on Tuesday or I think they get to 10 wins.

SS -

From your experience, do teams get 'credit' for beating low RPI automatic-qualifiers? For example, say Mount St. Mary's goes on to win the conference tourney and get the auto-bid, is that a positive for the Gophers or is it negligible?

MSU needs to lose to OSU on Tuesday or I think they get to 10 wins.

For MSU: Purdue, Wisconsin, @Maryland, and then one of Ohio State, Nebraska, @Illinois. Definitely possible even with a win against Ohio State. I think @Illinois is the one to watch.

For Northwestern: @Wisconsin, Maryland, Purdue, and one of Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan. This is more likely than MSU, I think.

If either of these happens and we win 4 of 6, then we likely get the 5 seed. If both, then we get the double bye.

SS -

From your experience, do teams get 'credit' for beating low RPI automatic-qualifiers? For example, say Mount St. Mary's goes on to win the conference tourney and get the auto-bid, is that a positive for the Gophers or is it negligible?

I think the committee looks at record vs other tournament teams.
Just like they look at record vs top 50 and top 100.

But this is likely only in tie-breaker cases.

The Gophers with a 0.500 conference record should be adequate.
If the Gophers would happen to win 5 of 6 somehow, they could be as high as a 4-5 seed.

If we end up 8-10, saying we beat Penn State and Nebraska, would they still have to put us in the tournament? A mid 30s rpi would seem impossible to leave out of tournament, as crazy as it sounds. Even seemily worst case scenario I'm not sure how they get left out. Thinking out loud.

This is how the Gophers RPI projects out based on finishing with the following record(Not including any B1GT scenarios)

24-7(12-6) - RPI of 17
23-8(11-7) - RPI of 20
22-9(10-8) - RPI of 24
21-10(9-9) - RPI of 28
20-11(8-10) - RPI of 35
19-12(7-11) - RPI of 45
18-13(6-12) - RPI of 58

I think based off of these numbers getting to 9-9 would pretty much get the Gophers a bid.

I'm assuming these calculations are using "today's record" (e.g. constants) carried through for the rest of the year for the other two pieces of RPI (opponents and opponent's opponents.)?

If we end up 8-10, saying we beat Penn State and Nebraska, would they still have to put us in the tournament? A mid 30s rpi would seem impossible to leave out of tournament, as crazy as it sounds. Even seemily worst case scenario I'm not sure how they get left out. Thinking out loud.

Been looking through the field for the past couple of days and talking with fans from several other conferences and discussing how many teams we think will get in from each conference, and the thing we are all noticing is how there are not a lot of high quality teams out there coming from the small and mid-major conferences. I tried figuring out who my field of 68 would be on Saturday, before the games were played that day, and I was struggling to find 68 worthy teams, and I included a few that I later came to think differently about, such as Wichita St and Illinois St I think it is, their only Top 100 wins are against each other. Ill St has an RPI of around 33, but has just 2 Top 100 wins and 3 bad losses. Wichita St has an RPI of around 50, but has just 1 Top 100 win, but no bad losses. One of those 2 teams probably won't get into the tourney. A couple Major Conf bubble teams lost on Saturday, too.

So basically, there is so much parity out there, that even as weak as the B1G seems to be this year, several bracket projections out there have 7 and even 8 B1G teams among their fields of 68. Granted that was before Indiana lost to Michigan, that probably knocked Indy out for now. And Minnesota is a consensus #7 seed right now, although NW's win over UW probably bumped UMn down to an #8 seed. So if our RPI drops down about 10 spots to the mid-30s, that would probably only drop them down to a 10 or 11 seed, so they would be considered in, but also on the bubble, so an opening round loss in the B1G conf tourney could drop them out. If they finish 8-10 and lose their opening round conf tourney game, I'd say they might still get in, on the strength of their 4-5 Top 50 wins, their 10-11 Top 100 wins, their 4 true road wins, and their lack of bad losses. The win over Mt St Mary's could also come into consideration if they were being compared to another team for consideration as the one of the last teams in.

But an opening round win in the BTT, might be enough to ensure they get in if they go 8-10. I mean, there just are not a lot of teams out there this year that are doing much to impress the selection committee. Wisconsin not making their initial Top 16 wasn't a mark against the B1G, it was a mark against Wisconsin, as their best win on the season is their win over our Gophers, and well, that realistically doesn't impress anyone out there in the cbb world, including among Gopher fans, as we know how close we were to beating Wisconsin and we know it was our giving them the game as much as it was their beating us.

Been looking through the field for the past couple of days and talking with fans from several other conferences and discussing how many teams we think will get in from each conference, and the thing we are all noticing is how there are not a lot of high quality teams out there coming from the small and mid-major conferences. I tried figuring out who my field of 68 would be on Saturday, before the games were played that day, and I was struggling to find 68 worthy teams, and I included a few that I later came to think differently about, such as Wichita St and Illinois St I think it is, their only Top 100 wins are against each other. Ill St has an RPI of around 33, but has just 2 Top 100 wins and 3 bad losses. Wichita St has an RPI of around 50, but has just 1 Top 100 win, but no bad losses. One of those 2 teams probably won't get into the tourney. A couple Major Conf bubble teams lost on Saturday, too.

So basically, there is so much parity out there, that even as weak as the B1G seems to be this year, several bracket projections out there have 7 and even 8 B1G teams among their fields of 68. Granted that was before Indiana lost to Michigan, that probably knocked Indy out for now. And Minnesota is a consensus #7 seed right now, although NW's win over UW probably bumped UMn down to an #8 seed. So if our RPI drops down about 10 spots to the mid-30s, that would probably only drop them down to a 10 or 11 seed, so they would be considered in, but also on the bubble, so an opening round loss in the B1G conf tourney could drop them out. If they finish 8-10 and lose their opening round conf tourney game, I'd say they might still get in, on the strength of their 4-5 Top 50 wins, their 10-11 Top 100 wins, their 4 true road wins, and their lack of bad losses. The win over Mt St Mary's could also come into consideration if they were being compared to another team for consideration as the one of the last teams in.

But an opening round win in the BTT, might be enough to ensure they get in if they go 8-10. I mean, there just are not a lot of teams out there this year that are doing much to impress the selection committee. Wisconsin not making their initial Top 16 wasn't a mark against the B1G, it was a mark against Wisconsin, as their best win on the season is their win over our Gophers, and well, that realistically doesn't impress anyone out there in the cbb world, including among Gopher fans, as we know how close we were to beating Wisconsin and we know it was our giving them the game as much as it was their beating us.

Excellent breakdown. Really weak bubble. Having to reach to find teams to fill the bracket. There are going to be an unusually large amount of at-large teams with 11-13 losses. That bodes well for the Gophers as long as they simply don't implode down the stretch.

So we are currently 18-7 (6-6) with home games against Indiana and Michigan.

Do we move off the bubble if we sweep at home this week?

Indiana is totally different than they were at the beginning of the season and their coach is close to punching out. If the Gophers get on them early there is an excellent chance the Hoosiers implode and we win big.

Michigan has only won one B1G road game all season and it was over the good old Hoosiers. I'm thinking we go into this game as 7 point favorites. Giving us a 65-70% chance of being 20-7 (8-6) by next Monday. This in my opinion would move us from work left to do to should be in status.

So we are currently 18-7 (6-6) with home games against Indiana and Michigan. Do we move off the bubble if we sweep at home this week?

The Gophers are being referred to as a bubble team, but I don't think that's accurate. They're safely in as of today, If they lose two this week, then I think we can call them a bubble team. A split moves them a tad bit closer toward the cutline, but still in pretty good shape. Win both, as you said, and they're about as close to a lock as they can be with 4 games to play.

Michigan and Indiana can absolutely torch you offensively. These games really worry me if they get hot and we aren't able to keep pace. My gut says we split these games.

Michigan and Indiana can absolutely torch you offensively. These games really worry me if they get hot and we aren't able to keep pace. My gut says we split these games.

I was way beyond confident for 2 conference home games, Michigan State and Maryland. We lost both.

Am equally confident Gophers will beat Indiana. Hoosiers are a trainwreck in progress, and IU is one school that has had trouble winning at Williams Arena. Gophers have won 5 of last 7 here. Hope my confidence isn't a bad omen.

Michigan scares the crap out of me. Starting to hit their stride, well coached, and Pitino is 0-5 vs. Beilein.

Good analysis. No automatics the rest of the way, but trends give us a much better shot at Indiana than Michigan. Belein's spread offense can wreak havoc on our big men. I just don't see our big guys effectively defending Moe Wagner on the perimeter. Let's just do it tomorrow night and ease the pressure.

I was way beyond confident for 2 conference home games, Michigan State and Maryland. We lost both.

Am equally confident Gophers will beat Indiana. Hoosiers are a trainwreck in progress, and IU is one school that has had trouble winning at Williams Arena. Gophers have won 5 of last 7 here. Hope my confidence isn't a bad omen.

Michigan scares the crap out of me. Starting to hit their stride, well coached, and Pitino is 0-5 vs. Beilein.

Gophers have lost 9 in a row to Michigan and 13 of the last 14. Most recent win for the home team at the Barn was 2/21/2008.

Reminds me of the Brown Jug.

Indiana has been bad lately which scares me even more. They are due for something good to happen.

Gophers are starting a run, I don't think they will crush both of these teams, and they may even lose a game, but I think its just as likely that they win them both.

Gophers have lost 9 in a row to Michigan and 13 of the last 14. Most recent win for the home team at the Barn was 2/21/2008.

Another demon to be exorcised, then. Had no idea it was that bad.

Update: Demon exorcised!

Sigh. Boehlein is the 2nd best coach in the B1G in my opinion. But we have more talent this time. Get it done, Richard.

Good analysis. No automatics the rest of the way, but trends give us a much better shot at Indiana than Michigan. Belein's spread offense can wreak havoc on our big men. I just don't see our big guys effectively defending Moe Wagner on the perimeter. Let's just do it tomorrow night and ease the pressure.

After Reggie fouls out, the only limited big man to defend the perimeter is Murphy in a line-up without Konate. We may be better off going small against Michigan to take away the 3.

I remember Tubby having trouble with Michigan. Even when Michigan was only winning like 7 conference games a year, they'd consistently beat us. There was also that Big Ten tournament game where we led for like 95% of it and then Smotrycz (spelling?) hit the go ahead 3 in the closing minutes as his first field goal make of the game. Then the 2013-14 B1G opener where Zak Irvin drained five 3's in his (and Pitino's) first ever Big Ten game, which we lost by 3. Apparently Irvin is currently averaging 3 points in 34 minutes a game over the last 4. People point to the Northwestern and Illinois games that year as being what kept us out of the tournament, but that was another great shot at a big win. @Michigan was also part of that long skid to open Big Ten play in Pitino's second year. I think we blew a double digit second half lead in that game.

There was also that Big Ten tournament game where we led for like 95% of it and then Smotrycz (spelling?) hit the go ahead 3 in the closing minutes as his first field goal make of the game.

Pretty sure that Smotrycz hit the three to tie it, then we lost in OT.

pg mason on Walton
sg springs on Rahkman
sf coffey on Irvin
pf curry on Wagner
c lynch on Wilson

Wagner and Wilson hitting 3's is a tough matchup for both Lynch and Murphy, have a feeling Curry with his better length might be a really good option. Problem is Michigan is susceptible on the boards and Murphy is a beast as of late!

Through Michigan game (18-7, 6-6 B1G)
This scenario done in mind that the Gophers lose their first B1G Tournament game. To feel completely safe on Selection Sunday, no questions asked, Gophers need to go 9-9 in the B1G, making them 21-10 heading to D.C. The bubble is extraordinarily weak, and at present the Gophers are nowhere near the cutline.

Gophers Journey to the Tourney (Do This, It's Lock City)
ABSOLUTE "MUST WINS" (4-1)
1 @ Penn State (L, 0-1)
2 Iowa (W, 1-1)
3 @ Rutgers (W, 2-1)
4 Penn State
5 Nebraska

SPLIT THE "EITHER WAYS" (4-4)
1 Michigan State (L, 0-1)
2 @ Northwestern (W, 1-1)
3 Ohio State (W, 2-1)
4 @ Ohio State (L, 2-2)
5 Maryland (L, 2-3)
6 @ Illinois (W, 3-3)
7 Indiana (W, 4-3)
8 Michigan (W, 5-3)

"STEAL ONE" (1-4)
1 @ Purdue (W, 1-0)
2 @ Michigan State (L, 1-1)
3 Wisconsin (L, 1-2)
4 @ Maryland
5 @ Wisconsin
Needs updating but the thread author needs to do it.

Top Bottom