PiPress: NFL draft: Gophers look for streak of defensive backs picked to reach four

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The depth of high-quality defensive backs for the NFL draft in April could end the Gophers’ streak of having a cornerback or safety selected in three consecutive drafts.

Minnesota sits among the elite company of five college programs to have a defensive back selected in each draft since 2014. Top-tier programs Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State and Virginia Tech are the others.

But ESPN’s Mel Kiper and Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller consider defensive backs to be one of the deepest positions available for NFL teams in April, and Gophers candidates — safety Damarius Travis and cornerback Jalen Myrick — are not projected to go until the draft’s Day 3, when rounds four through seven are conducted.

“I think they have a chance on Day 3,” Kiper said during a conference call with reporters in mid-December. “It depends on how they test obviously. The combine is going to be important, as is the pro day, with the depth at that spot.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/2...reak-of-defensive-backs-picked-to-reach-four/

Go Gophers!!

Myrick's speed will probably stand out enough to get him drafted even though I have some major doubts on his ability to succeed at the next level. Travis strikes me as someone that will make a roster even if he doesn't get drafted. Hopefully though he will do enough to get picked by someone.

I would be shocked if Myrick wasn't drafted. The game against WSU is a good opportunity to boost his draft stock.

Top Bottom