STrib: Gophers' Rodney Smith ready for bigger role, on and off field

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Rodney Smith still had 16 shopping days until Christmas, when he hopped into his red Dodge Avenger earlier this month and headed to the Mall of America.

This was four days before the Gophers football team became embroiled in controversy, with 10 players suspended in connection with an alleged September sexual assault, and a two-day player boycott.

Smith had just been named the Gophers team MVP and a co-captain for 2017. The third-year sophomore already was looking forward to Tuesday’s Holiday Bowl in San Diego and happy to be back at the mall, a favorite hangout since his recruiting visit from Atlanta in 2013.

“I’ve got to buy presents for my parents, of course, and my girlfriend,” the 1,000-yard rusher said, smiling. “She’s been on me about it.”

“I know my role is a bit bigger now,” Smith said, between bites of Chinese food. “Not just on the field but off the field as well, helping out the younger guys with questions, keeping them out of trouble and bad situations.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-rodney-smith-ready-for-bigger-role-on-and-off-field/408275436/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom