The Three Easy "Must-Sees" of San Diego

San Diego Mike

Reaction score
Hi Golden Gophers -- and welcome back to America's Finest City! I was there when Minnesota was at what (I think) was then still "The Murph" against my Aztecs somewhere around two decades ago. I'm excited to get some new blood in the Holiday Bowl.

I was originally going to use this post to drum up some business for my little startup "Naturally San Diego" -- see our FB page for more info for your next vacation of game out here -- but the timing of this year's game is so close to Christmas it makes that impossible. So instead, I give you the free advice I was going to give you anyway if you are making the trek...

These are the three "Must-Sees" to claim you have been to San Diego in my opinion. These are great because all three are beautiful and absolutely free. You don't have to spend a dime if you don't want to, just walk around and enjoy, or you can shoot for the moon and drop a bundle. Most importantly, they'll give you a nice, basic feel for San Diego:

1) The Hotel Del Coronado. Coronado seemingly every other year is voted "America's Best Beach". But the hotel definitely adds another dimension to it, especially right now as it is decorated beautifully for the holidays. If you're homesick for Minnesota, strap on some ice skates and skate on the beach (Yep, the hotel puts an ice rink out right off the deck this time of year!) Two tips: Have your cameras out and ready as you cross Coronado Bridge, and 2) After you're done at "The Del", head back up Orange Avenue to the ferry landing -- You have a great view back across the bay towards downtown, plus you can take the ferry back across the bay to downtown.

2) Balboa Park. I didn't know this until a few weeks ago, but Balboa Park is actually bigger than NYC's Central Park -- and it's very beautiful. The whole park was originally built up to celebrate the opening of the Panama Canal (and drum up business for a then-tiny SD) -- and it was supposed to be torn down, until wiser heads prevailed. The museums are great -- and sometimes are free on Tuesdays. If you are bringing out younger kids, head for the puppet show near the aerospace museum. The park also is home to the SD Zoo, and The Prado restaurant is excellent. Pro Tip: Head across Cabrillo Bridge to 5th and Laurel and go to the top of the "Mister A's Building" for drinks and the best view in the city, esp at sunset.

3) La Jolla Cove. Think "Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive meets the cliffs of the Pacific". It's a spectacular natural setting, plus there are high end shops, restaurants, bars and boutique hotels to window shop or leave your mortgage payment at if the mood strikes you. Walk about a quarter mile south of the cove to Children's Pool to see the seals taking a break on the sand from the waves.

So there you have it. My "B-List" is Cabrillo National Monument and Torrey Pines State Reserve -- which I can tell you whatever you'd like to know about either of them, as those two are what my start-up deals in when it comes to the ins and outs of their geology, ecology and history. If you are in town right now, there have been first sightings of grey whales heading down the coast for their annual pilgrimage to Mexico!

If you need restaurant recs, or advice on other activities, let me know below and I'll answer as best I can. I saw some of you are headed to the Holiday Bowl Balloon Parade -- you'll have a great time. I'd suggest Ubering it over to Little Italy (India Street) and walking down from there the 3-4 blocks to the bayfront parade. If you are staying downtown, take the trolley to the stadium for the game. It lets out right there in the stadium parking lot!

Best of luck against Wazzu. I'd say beat 'em and all that, but I'm west coast born and raised and that would be a little disingenuous of me. So let's just say "May the best team win!"

An excellent summary. I live in San Diego and could not have done better.

A few years ago, I took training classes near the Miramar Naval Station (is it still there?).

My colleague and I decided to take an evening walking around downtown San Diego and we stopped to eat dinner at Anthony's Fish Grotto. That I thought was an excellent choice!

http://www.anthonysfishgrotto.com/menu/seafood/

If I remember, the restaurant was right at the harbor. It looks like it is on a floating barge. There were also harbor cruises available.

I was impressed with the USS Midway Museum because I was never on an aircraft carrier before.

The Coronado is a gem.

San Diego is one of my favorite places that I have visited. Back then, I could imagine living there. However, real estate prices must have gone over the roof today.

If you are going to San Diego for the Holiday Bowl, I highly recommend that you stay a little longer. There are many great eating places and the weather is so nice!

I would not want to just fly in and out.

One thing I would not recommend. Do not attempt to cross over to Mexico at the Tijuana border crossing in a rented vehicle. You will be 100 percent liable if it is stolen. It may be more of a hassle today with tightened security.

We honeymooned at The Del and I highly suggest spending a few hours out on Coronado "island". We've stayed a few other times with my wife's work. Miguel's Cocina is a good Mexican dive place across the street and go back to Moo Time at The Del for ice cream.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The base is still there (Mirimar Naval Air), but it is now a Marine base. A few blocks from the Oceanside Pier is the Blue house that Tom Cruise met Kelly for dinner. It is really run down and all fenced in, but it is there.

Let me add, Mission and Pacific Beaches are fun areas, although I suspect the water is a bit cool this time of year. For nightlife, try the Gaslamp area downtown.

Cabrillo national monument is a hidden gem. Offers great views looking across the harbor into the city.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Make sure you get out to Cornado Island Ruppert

Absolutely a great city.First time visit for my wife.

I think you and the wife will really enjoy walking around Cornado Island, nice and peacful and a lot of cool places to check out. The Ice cream shop over their is pretty good.
Usually stays sunny on that side of the bay, and Cornado beach
is the cleanest beach for walking around the ocean. If you time it right you can sneak over from the public beach to where the Del Cornado hotel is and take a peak at what they have going on for their private beach. You guy's might also enjoy visiting Point Loma National park. Nice views of the ocean a sunset.

Great list, I think Torrey Pines was a must for me, I agree with others on USS Midway, well worth it.

If you bike, rent bikes and do the Bayeshore trail on Coronado.

Even if you don't stay at the Del, get bagels and hang out on the patio for breakfast, better to stay there though, if you do one splurge in your life the Del is it. You could rent ice skates at the Del and skate on the beach but I would opt for the biking.

Pacific Beach is really nice, Torrey Pines for golf and the La Jolla area is awesome

I'm planning on lunch in Old Town. I hope that is nice.

Let me add, Mission and Pacific Beaches are fun areas, although I suspect the water is a bit cool this time of year. For nightlife, try the Gaslamp area downtown.

Speaking if the Gaslamp district, mosey over to Croce's. http://croces.com/

Yes, that is the same Jim Croce -"Time in a bottle", "Bad bad Leroy Brown".

Sad to report that Anthony's Fish Grotto and the charming Fishette next door are shortly scheduled for demolition. The Port Authority has grand plans for some kind of restaurant complex on the site. If you are making the trip, this will be your only opportunity to enjoy this San Diego landmark/institution.

My wife and I went out to San Diego for a long anniversary weekend in early November, so couldn't justify going back for the bowl game unfortunately. First time out there and couldn't agree more with the comments of others. We stayed at the Del and highly recommend it if you can. Clayton's coffee shop on Orange Ave. serves a great breakfast and biking the island is well worth the time. If you go to Old Towne San Diego I would recommend Cafe Coyote. Golfing and/or hiking Torrey Pines if you can is worth the short drive. Wish we were out there this week, but will definitely make it back to San Diego again in the future.

GO GOPHERS!

Really love San Diego, which - in addition to all the great tourist attractions - has an attractive, pedestrian-favored downtown, loaded with restaurants and shops. The marina is nearby.

I would also recommend the Midway Museum. While it's mostly indoors (on an aircraft carrier), I found every part of that to be very interesting. Of course for the families, the San Diego Zoo is a must.

Top Bottom