Tom Powers: Gophers should not be at Holiday Bowl

The entire "profession" has become a joke. Yes, I'm talking about "real news" "journalists" as well. They are becoming irrelevant.

Luckily the air quotes "industry" appears to be "working" "well"

Powers is full of it. Most Gopher fans even quite a few alumnus would have a hard time rooting against the team, even if they are not overjoyed with the football team or the University itself. Maybe Powers circle of family and friends feel that way and give him his consensus but I doubt he has even asked that many people. Opinion Sports writers like him tend to live in a bubble and under the premise that their own opinions carry more weight. This game is kind of the "US" versus everyone else finale to the season anyways. Time to show the public and everyone else that the Gophers have not hidden and don't hide from the controversy.

per Powers:

The Shame and Humiliation Tour moves to San Diego this week as your Golden Gophers take on the Washington State Cougars in the Holiday Bowl.

Most students and alumni should experience significant embarrassment when the depraved actions of team members are recounted on national television. Plus, there will be the rehash of the threatened boycott by players who didn’t even have the facts before issuing a set of demands. You know: Ready, fire, aim …

Then there is the coach who blindly backed the wrong horse by noting how proud he was of his student-athletes for standing up for their right to boycott and making the world better as a result. And later, when the sordid details came out, how he threw $50,000 at the problem — to victims of sexual assault — in an effort to “move forward.”

Ugh. Nothing good will come of this bowl appearance, regardless of the outcome on the field. Minnesota should not be at this game. The school is setting a terrible example with its business-as-usual approach.

I’ve heard more people — especially alumni — saying that they wouldn’t watch the game or that they would root against the Gophers. Personally, I never would cheer against my own alma mater. But that’s easy for me to say because my alma mater doesn’t field a football team. Instead of athletics, it was more concerned with making us all more smarterer.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/23/tom-powers-gophers-should-not-be-at-holiday-bowl/

Go Gophers!!
Still not as bad as the 1980s bowl drought.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Clearly it is time to shut down the Pioneer Press or at least suspend Powers for his weak effort at being journalist. In what world are you punished for the actions of someone else?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom