Tom Powers: Gophers should not be at Holiday Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Powers:

The Shame and Humiliation Tour moves to San Diego this week as your Golden Gophers take on the Washington State Cougars in the Holiday Bowl.

Most students and alumni should experience significant embarrassment when the depraved actions of team members are recounted on national television. Plus, there will be the rehash of the threatened boycott by players who didn’t even have the facts before issuing a set of demands. You know: Ready, fire, aim …

Then there is the coach who blindly backed the wrong horse by noting how proud he was of his student-athletes for standing up for their right to boycott and making the world better as a result. And later, when the sordid details came out, how he threw $50,000 at the problem — to victims of sexual assault — in an effort to “move forward.”

Ugh. Nothing good will come of this bowl appearance, regardless of the outcome on the field. Minnesota should not be at this game. The school is setting a terrible example with its business-as-usual approach.

I’ve heard more people — especially alumni — saying that they wouldn’t watch the game or that they would root against the Gophers. Personally, I never would cheer against my own alma mater. But that’s easy for me to say because my alma mater doesn’t field a football team. Instead of athletics, it was more concerned with making us all more smarterer.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/23/tom-powers-gophers-should-not-be-at-holiday-bowl/

Go Gophers!!

Mr Powers you are aware that these are alleged student conduct violations and the hearing has not occurred? No criminal behavior has been proven?

How about looking at the story from the team's perspective? Or, continue with the tar and feather mob.

per Powers:

The Shame and Humiliation Tour moves to San Diego this week as your Golden Gophers take on the Washington State Cougars in the Holiday Bowl.

Most students and alumni should experience significant embarrassment when the depraved actions of team members are recounted on national television. Plus, there will be the rehash of the threatened boycott by players who didn’t even have the facts before issuing a set of demands. You know: Ready, fire, aim …

Then there is the coach who blindly backed the wrong horse by noting how proud he was of his student-athletes for standing up for their right to boycott and making the world better as a result. And later, when the sordid details came out, how he threw $50,000 at the problem — to victims of sexual assault — in an effort to “move forward.”

Ugh. Nothing good will come of this bowl appearance, regardless of the outcome on the field. Minnesota should not be at this game. The school is setting a terrible example with its business-as-usual approach.

I’ve heard more people — especially alumni — saying that they wouldn’t watch the game or that they would root against the Gophers. Personally, I never would cheer against my own alma mater. But that’s easy for me to say because my alma mater doesn’t field a football team. Instead of athletics, it was more concerned with making us all more smarterer.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/23/tom-powers-gophers-should-not-be-at-holiday-bowl/

Go Gophers!!

How is suspending 10 players business as usual?

So you want to punish the rest of the kids that have nothing to do with the actions of the 10 who are on suspension?

The boycott should have been handle by the players with clarity of intentions by stating the right things up front. They should have first stated they do do not condone denigration and sexual violence against women. Then say they protesting against the lack of due process afterwards.

Same thing goes to Claeys. He should have done the same thing. He is in a tough spot sandwiched in between his bosses and his football team.

Talk about not having all the facts. Your article fits right in.

per Powers:

Go Gophers!!

Seriously? Smarterer?

Powers being Powers. .... He's a poor man's Souhan.. Sure, the self righteous and the holier than thou won't watch. I could give a rat's ass. Not my kind of people.

doesn't Leach have a history of playing players appealing suspensions and expulsions after being charged with felonies?

per Powers:

Go Gophers!!

I find it sad and shameful that the vast majority of journalists use their platforms to sensationalize, polarize and attract eyeballs with their message rather than stimulate fair and rational thought.

Oh, cool. I was waiting for the journalist 'C' team to chime in.

The Powers "Crusade" continues. If you've read him on more than one occasion, his college truly failed him.

"I’ve heard more people — especially alumni — saying that they wouldn’t watch the game or that they would root against the Gophers." He is full of sh@#. Im having a party with 50 Plus RSVP.

Oh, cool. I was waiting for the journalist 'C' team to chime in.

"C" team is generous.... More like C- / D.
He is he sports page equivalent of morning TV news's Rusty Gatenby.

Sorry Rusty.

What's with all these crepe-hanging journalists? Both newspapers are doing a rotten job of covering the game, but the columnists are all singing a dirge from the moral high ground they've assumed. Obnoxious.

Who's Tom Powers?
And is he referencing North Hennepin Comm College?
They don't have football....

What's with all these crepe-hanging journalists? Both newspapers are doing a rotten job of covering the game, but the columnists are all singing a dirge from the moral high ground they've assumed. Obnoxious.

No kidding. I don't think I've seen too many nationally that have even gotten it right. Quite a bit of cowardly journalists out there.

Holdup here, give the man his due process

I've decided to be a nicer person so all I will say is that I find your ignorance refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I never would cheer against my own alma mater. But that’s easy for me to say because my alma mater doesn’t field a football team. Instead of athletics, it was more concerned with making us all more smarterer.

Tom Powers has spoken. The U should just shut down the whole program.

Powers apparently attended Reed College in Portland. He longs for the U to be the Reed College of the midwest. Let us all grab a crystal and seek an aura of enlightenment. [emoji56]

I seriously have never heard of Tom Powers, then again I never read the paper "over there"

Tom Powers shouldn't have a job.

Can't believe the PioPress actually pays him. He either mails it in, parrots others, or when he really, really tries it turns out like this article.

Are there very many real sports journalists anymore?

Are there very many real sports journalists anymore?

The entire "profession" has become a joke. Yes, I'm talking about "real news" "journalists" as well. They are becoming irrelevant.

Top Bottom