Comprehensive Alcohol, Drug, and Sexual Harassment/Assualt training for Athletes?

Taji34

Reaction score
Does the Athletic Department have any comprehensive Alcohol, Drug, and Sexual Harassment/Assault training for all the student Athletes? If not I really think they should because it seems that many of these situations could be avoided if the Athletes were more prepared to handle these situations and act smartly. I think annual, mandatory, and comprehensive Alcohol, Drug, and Sexual Harassment/Assault is in order for all student athletes, Coaches, and the entire athletic department.

We should be equipping these students to make good decisions and to be informed about these things. Not only can they stop themselves from making a bad decision, but they can be equipped with the tools to help their fellow teammates avoid these situations as well.

I'd be shocked if they didn't.... I gotta think most programs do.

The issue is the folks who are going to do that stuff, I suspect aren't paying attention to that stuff anyway. I think the idea that telling folks "hey stop raping people" will help is kinda bonkers.

Is there any evidence that shows that these talks or presentations or straight up full blown classes actually have an impact?

I'm sure they give administrators some cover, but do they accomplish anything?

"A2" said the "some lady" came and talked to everyone before the season. There should probably be an updated, relevant video that is put together and distributed to every athletic department. Hell, it should be shown to every college student. An artificial environment like a college campus where the "elders" are 22 years old is ripe for stupid decisions.

It starts with recruiting folks, sorry, and it continues with regular, serious conversations by influential people throughout a player's career. Videos don't change beliefs and don't trump prior experiences or role models. Players come to school with a view of what is an acceptable way to interact with women. Everybody doesn't follow that at all times once they get to school but it provides a baseline. You can sit them in front of a guest speaker but, as with anything else, what you have experienced is more powerful than what you have only heard.

"A2" said the "some lady" came and talked to everyone before the season. There should probably be an updated, relevant video that is put together and distributed to every athletic department. Hell, it should be shown to every college student. An artificial environment like a college campus where the "elders" are 22 years old is ripe for stupid decisions.

More like this. If this isn't feasible, than at least all Fraternity and Sorority members should be getting this type of training.

Thanks for that.

From the 9/8/16 edition of the Minnesota Daily

All University of Minnesota students are now required to complete sexual assault awareness training as part of a new state law aimed at reducing sexual misconduct on college campuses.

Under the law, which took effect Aug. 1, colleges must offer online sexual assault reporting options for students and require them to complete training sessions within the first 10 days of their first semester. Law enforcement agencies and schools must also cooperate when investigating sexual misconduct. The law also mandates that institutions must report sexual assault statistics.

At the University — where 23.5 percent of females and about 5 percent of males report being sexual assaulted while enrolled — all incoming freshman were required to complete the two-part, 10 section training called Haven Plus.

All other students, including graduate and professional students, will have to finish any incomplete or unstated training sessions from previous years, said Aurora Center for Advocacy & Education Director Katie Eichele.

“It is one step to simply have one online training module but research says that won’t solve the problem,” Eichele said.

The Aurora Center paired with greek life, University Athletics, Housing and Residential Life and International Student Scholar Services to administer the online training.

During her work welcoming new freshmen, Minnesota Student Association President Abeer Syedah said she was overwhelmed by first year students’ knowledge of sexual assault resources on campus.

“The University of Minnesota has a lot of students transfer into the school from other colleges in the state, and if you had a lot of resources transferring in here, it’s important to have consistency,” Syedah said...

Does the Athletic Department have any comprehensive Alcohol, Drug, and Sexual Harassment/Assault training for all the student Athletes? If not I really think they should because it seems that many of these situations could be avoided if the Athletes were more prepared to handle these situations and act smartly. I think annual, mandatory, and comprehensive Alcohol, Drug, and Sexual Harassment/Assault is in order for all student athletes, Coaches, and the entire athletic department.

We should be equipping these students to make good decisions and to be informed about these things. Not only can they stop themselves from making a bad decision, but they can be equipped with the tools to help their fellow teammates avoid these situations as well.

Good grief. Some folks understand how to behave while others do not. It comes from your upbringing.

Thanks for that.

From the 9/8/16 edition of the Minnesota Daily

All University of Minnesota students are now required to complete sexual assault awareness training as part of a new state law aimed at reducing sexual misconduct on college campuses.

Under the law, which took effect Aug. 1, colleges must offer online sexual assault reporting options for students and require them to complete training sessions within the first 10 days of their first semester. Law enforcement agencies and schools must also cooperate when investigating sexual misconduct. The law also mandates that institutions must report sexual assault statistics.

At the University — where 23.5 percent of females and about 5 percent of males report being sexual assaulted while enrolled — all incoming freshman were required to complete the two-part, 10 section training called Haven Plus.

All other students, including graduate and professional students, will have to finish any incomplete or unstated training sessions from previous years, said Aurora Center for Advocacy & Education Director Katie Eichele.

“It is one step to simply have one online training module but research says that won’t solve the problem,” Eichele said.

The Aurora Center paired with greek life, University Athletics, Housing and Residential Life and International Student Scholar Services to administer the online training.

During her work welcoming new freshmen, Minnesota Student Association President Abeer Syedah said she was overwhelmed by first year students’ knowledge of sexual assault resources on campus.

“The University of Minnesota has a lot of students transfer into the school from other colleges in the state, and if you had a lot of resources transferring in here, it’s important to have consistency,” Syedah said...

I had to take that "training" a few years back. It's a complete joke. I don't think anyone would learn anything new from it. The problem isn't that people don't know what they should and shouldn't do, it's that they either don't care or they have lapses in judgement.

Thinking that sexual assault and harassment training will stop sexual assault and harassment is like thinking that telling Mitch Leidner to stop throwing the ball to the other team will make him stop throwing interceptions. Knowledge isn't the issue.

Really think a lot of this is getting overblown and some are trying to assign the actions of a small group of players to all athletes. The University does its best to educate students both athletes and non-athletes about all the things you listed but there is only so much you can do. Drinking, partying, casual sex, drug use....all that is going to take place on campus inside and outside of athletics and has been going on forever.

Obviously what may have happened on the 2nd goes well above and beyond normal college behavior but I don't know that any level of training from the athletic department beyond what they already do would have prevented it. Football in general has some definite issues as it relates to sexual assault across the country but we still need to be careful about blaming all players for the actions of small percentage of players.

I had to take that "training" a few years back. It's a complete joke. I don't think anyone would learn anything new from it. The problem isn't that people don't know what they should and shouldn't do, it's that they either don't care or they have lapses in judgement.

Thinking that sexual assault and harassment training will stop sexual assault and harassment is like thinking that telling Mitch Leidner to stop throwing the ball to the other team will make him stop throwing interceptions. Knowledge isn't the issue.

Spot on

LOL. Mitch never had interception awareness training. Staff really blew it. Such a simple fix.

Good grief. Some folks understand how to behave while others do not. It comes from your upbringing.

That explains why so many people who come from great, morally upstanding families are in jail and so many people who grew up in the projects with little or no parental supervision are contributing, law-abiding members of society.

Unfortunately, when sports get involved, there is also an element of "competitive balance" involved. If school A decided to really crack down on poor behavior, and suspended and/or expelled a bunch of athletes, the performance of the team would suffer, and the Coach could wind up losing his or her job.

Also, if School A adopted these stricter standards, but School B - the neighbor and rival - did not, then School B could wind up with the competitive advantage.

I suspect that, for really strict standards to be adopted - it would have to be done on at least a conference-wide basis, or preferably a total NCAA basis for all similar schools.

If you want good behavior, you have to find a way to make good behavior as important - or more important - than winning. Maybe if Coaches got rewarded more for a high APR than for the # of wins - or Coaches lost their job based on off-field incidents - not on-field losses. Until then, some people will choose to look the other way as long as the team is winning.

First of all, you would be surprised. Upbringing can only provide the foundation and guide posts...remember this is the first time many have complete freedom to make choices on their own.

Second, the point is comprehensive, not cursory to meet a mandated requirement. I would say it should be for all students, not just limited to athletics.

Finally, it would also clearly "snap a line" so to speak for the university, and demonstrate it wants to be a leader in this area.

The players would probably relate to a man a lot more than a woman when it comes to this topic. Having a former athlete, maybe even someone who's been in a sexual assault situation before might help. I'm sure there are speakers out there related to this.

The players would probably relate to a man a lot more than a woman when it comes to this topic. Having a former athlete, maybe even someone who's been in a sexual assault situation before might help. I'm sure there are speakers out there related to this.

Maybe Chris Carter could give them some tips about keeping a non football guy around just in case...

That explains why so many people who come from great, morally upstanding families are in jail and so many people who grew up in the projects with little or no parental supervision are contributing, law-abiding members of society.

Miss the part about knowing how to behave dolly?

We should be equipping these students to make good decisions and to be informed about these things. Not only can they stop themselves from making a bad decision, but they can be equipped with the tools to help their fellow teammates avoid these situations as well.[/QU

They are told 5000 times a year and after every game and during their whole time at the U to make good decisions and watch for trouble and run when you see it. They do not need training, they need some brains.

If you spent some time in the business world the question becomes what social "training" isn't "a complete joke"? The hope is that it gets through to at least some people. Reading your post it sounds like you're advocating that there should be no discussion of the subject at all.

Yeah, now that attitude has worked well through the years hasn't it?:rolleyes:

Miss the part about knowing how to behave dolly?

ZTA, you said "it comes from your upbringing." I can give you countless examples of people who behave exactly the opposite of what they learned from their upbringing. Stop trying to blame their "upbringing" and hold the individual accountable for the decisions they make.

Tyrone Carter seems to understand this issue. Name and shame.

I remember Chris Carter being involved with rookie orientation with the Vikes or the NFL as a whole. Real world stuff from guys who have been there gets my vote.
Films where guys have to watch ends up being a forum for the class clown.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you spent some time in the business world the question becomes what social "training" isn't "a complete joke"? The hope is that it gets through to at least some people. Reading your post it sounds like you're advocating that there should be no discussion of the subject at all.

Yeah, now that attitude has worked well through the years hasn't it?:rolleyes:

Do you really think there's anyone who thought rape was any less acceptable after they went through that training?

If they really wanted to stop it, this type of training isn't the answer. The answer would be tougher team rules that would punish players for being around bad situations. That's part of the reason this blew up. If the team had stricter rules and punished anyone who was even in the room at the time regardless of if they touched the woman, as well as anyone who knew that it was happening (such as the text group), the EOAA would have gone easier on them and it would have sent a message to the team that for as long as they're on the team, they need to be really clear that they have consent if they're going to have sex. As mentioned before though, they probably don't want to do that because it would hurt the team.

And even if the training works well in theory, it doesn't really work when you tell a recent high school graduate he needs to spend a few hours doing online courses online about things he already knows about and doesn't really care about. Everyone I know clicked through it as fast as possible. In fact, considering that they don't have to have it done until the start of school, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it after they were with the team and if someone told them how to get through it quickly.

Do you really think there's anyone who thought rape was any less acceptable after they went through that training?

If they really wanted to stop it, this type of training isn't the answer. The answer would be tougher team rules that would punish players for being around bad situations. That's part of the reason this blew up. If the team had stricter rules and punished anyone who was even in the room at the time regardless of if they touched the woman, as well as anyone who knew that it was happening (such as the text group), the EOAA would have gone easier on them and it would have sent a message to the team that for as long as they're on the team, they need to be really clear that they have consent if they're going to have sex. As mentioned before though, they probably don't want to do that because it would hurt the team.

And even if the training works well in theory, it doesn't really work when you tell a recent high school graduate he needs to spend a few hours doing online courses online about things he already knows about and doesn't really care about. Everyone I know clicked through it as fast as possible. In fact, considering that they don't have to have it done until the start of school, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it after they were with the team and if someone told them how to get through it quickly.

It's a combination of things. The type of training needs to be changed. Online courses isn't going to accomplish much. At the same time, I don't think tougher rules and punishments alone will do the trick either. I believe there are situations where the man doesn't even think he is doing anything wrong. Maybe he is drunk himself and he doesn't realize how drunk the woman is, or that it even matters that she is drunk. It probably doesn't enter his mind that this could be considered sexual assault. Just because the woman appears to be okay with what is going on or isn't resisting, doesn't mean it is okay.

If they really wanted to stop it, this type of training isn't the answer. The answer would be tougher Fraternity rules that would punish Frat Boys for being around bad situations. That's part of the reason this blew up. If the fraternity had stricter rules and punished anyone who was even in the room at the time regardless of if they touched the woman, as well as anyone who knew that it was happening (such as the text group), the EOAA would have gone easier on them and it would have sent a message to the fraternity that for as long as they're in the frat, they need to be really clear that they have consent if they're going to have sex. As mentioned before though, they probably don't want to do that because it would hurt the fraternity

And even if the training works well in theory, it doesn't really work when you tell a recent high school graduate he needs to spend a few hours doing online courses online about things he already knows about and doesn't really care about. Everyone I know clicked through it as fast as possible. In fact, considering that they don't have to have it done until the start of school, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it after they were with their fraternity brothers and if someone told them how to get through it quickly.

You have bad friends. Otherwise you may be on to something.

I think it's interesting that some of you feel that awareness training can alter the criminal mind. Poor impulse control, lack of empathy, sociopathy are by and large baked in the cake. What is the recidivism rate of felons? How many chances was Jeff Jones given? I'm not saying everyone is irredeemable because many issues with these young men involve alcohol, drugs, and testosterone. The problem is alcohol, hormones, lack of impulse control, lack of empathy are likely to trump a seminar. Humans by and large continue to do stupid, destructive, and self-destructive things despite being told how to avoid them, throughout life.

The best bet to reduce crime is avoid criminals and bad situations. That includes avoiding bringing bad characters on campus and trying to reform them.

Thanks for the link. Hopefully, those that read the article about the Minnesota law also clicked on the link below it that explained the UofM procedures in these matters. Very important information there for those that are thinking the players are getting railroaded. Here's that link:

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2016/12/gophers-football-boycott-due-process

Another article mistaking a process for due process. The process is designed to find the accused guilty. One-sided, lack of protections for the accused, biased panel with incentive to find for the accuser and no downside for the university to cast off the accused. In fact they look heroic to the naval gazers.

You can keep pounding this "process" drum and I will continue to point out reality.

Top Bottom