PiPress: Big Ten coordinator: Gophers’ targeting calls correct

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Bill Carollo, the Big Ten’s coordinator of officials, said all seven of the targeting calls against the Gophers during the 2016 season were valid, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The Gophers’ seven infractions accounted for 41 percent of the 17 targeting calls in all Big Ten games this season, and Carollo told the Tribune last week he hopes to meet with Gophers coaches to talk about ways to reduce targeting penalties.

Gophers coaches disputed three of the seven flags for helmet-to-helmet hits on offensive players. They took issue with linebacker Nick Rallis’ hard hit on Purdue receiver Gregory Phillips after he caught a pass over the middle in the Gophers’ 44-31 win on Nov. 5.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/22/big-ten-coordinator-gophers-targeting-calls-correct/

Go Gophers!!

Even the one where it was shoulder to shoulder contact?

How about we "reduce targeting penalties" by eliminating them from the rulebook? We play aggressively so it looks bad when we hit people hard. It's not like we're going headhunting or anything. If you want to be fair, put sensors on all players' helmets and call targeting any time an offensive player and a defensive player's helmets hit. I've seen Mitch get in the head by someone else's helmet quite a few times in the past few years and never seen it called targeting. If the refs can't call it objectively get rid of it and deal with incidents on a case by case basis after the game.

Well, an authority has ruled so we need to accept it, rather than look at the reasons why Carollo would possibly say such a thing. Why oh why would Carollo say that if it weren't true?

Baghdad Bob has nothing on what I've seen the last couple weeks.

The can be such an echo chamber here. Give it a rest, they targeted like mad. Fix it next season.

The can be such an echo chamber here. Give it a rest, they targeted like mad. Fix it next season.

You're officially on my stupid list. Do you watch football? Even Mike Perriera disagrees with Carollo (and you).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5JI6pHrJfyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You're officially on my stupid list. Do you watch football? Even Mike Perriera disagrees with Carollo (and you).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5JI6pHrJfyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a horrible call.

Those that can't do, administrate. Pretty simple explanation.

Only 44 posts to come up with this gem?
Can't wait for # 45.

As long as the rule is written as is...punishment will be doled out and teams will complain. Many of our hits weren't targeting in the sense that the term implies, they were simply incidental contact with the head. Penalty? Sure, for safety reason. Throw out of game? Idiotic.

Now when a player launches or lowers head to make contact with a defenseless player then absolutely, kick them out of the game.

One of the biggest problems with targeting is the fact that in many, if not most, situations (including several calls on the Gophers), the player begins to make his move in a direction other than at the "victim's" head, only to then hit helmet-to-helmet when the "victim" starts to fall/lower his head/tilt, etc....It seems to me (and I remember thinking this during the season) that the Gophers played with great discipline all season long with regard to personal fouls OTHER than targeting. I don't recall many, if any, late hits, hits out-of-bounds, fighting etc., which tells me we are anything BUT a dirty and undisciplined team (by the way, I also think they did a good job the second half of the season in cleaning up the false starts, illegal formations and other stupid penalties). While I don't believe there were conspiracies vs. the Gophers, I do believe they were unlucky in the targeting penalties AND there were very clear instances of targeting on Leidner that were ignored: not missed, but truly ignored, as referees were looking right at it.

Top Bottom