Pound the rock against Washington State, or get into a scoring fest?

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
So what would give the Gophers the best chance to beat Washington State on Tuesday 12/27/16?

Pounding the rock? As another poster is fond of saying or sling the rock around and trying to stay one score ahead of Washington State. I'm thinking the Gophers best chance is to feed Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks the football, keep churning out yards and the first downs and controlling the clock. Keep the score close like they did against Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. I think the Gophers can run on the Washington state front, the backs are just going to have to be patient and let the holes develop long enough to break something. Keep the ball, and play keep away ball control and don't let them light it up with explosive plays. Seems kind of silly to talk about after the events of the last two weeks, but you need something else to talk about.

If the Washington State offense lacks time of possession and doesn't have the ball much on offense maybe this will the give the Gophers a chance to stay two scores ahead. I'm thinking they the Gophers need to keep the score as a two score lead no matter what time of the game it is. As long as they can maintain a 10 point lead, and keep it that way by controlling the clock this will give them the team the best chance to win. I know most of us have not wanted to talk much or think much about the game but at some point they have to turn the page a little bit and play the football game. I'm just hoping WSU doesn't blow out the Gophers so that people can pile on even more. Keep in mind that the 95 or so guy's on the team in San Diego and all of the support staff and groups, get to participate in the bowl even if it is meaningless.

It should probably be pretty obvious the Gophers will play the villain or bad guy role to most spectators even on TV. Best hope is the team plays hard for themselves, and for the teammates they are stepping out they're on the field with, even if it is going to be tough to fight back emotions, and not to be flat. They may to not even want to play the game, after the events of last week, they should still want to win the game for each other and for standing with their teammates and coaches. This game isn't for us it is for them and chance to kind of let it all out on the field. Take out your frustration on the other team, let the opponent make their comments(you know the trash talk is on it's way), smile back and then beat them.
I can see a few protests and statements of individuality happening, but whatever they choose to do as players or a team, I hope they keep it respectful and a positive message of support that represents themselves well.

Pretty talked out on and about all of the other stuff would like the football game to be a little distraction after the Holidays anyways. Hopefully those that are going really enjoy San Diego, it's a pretty cool town and a nice place to visit. Win or lose doesn't really matter I just hope they play for themselves.

Ball control. Long drives by our offense. Keep their offense off the field. That is our best recipe for a win.

RUTM like we have never RUTMed before.
1st and 10: RUTM.
2nd and 8: RUTM.
3rd and 5: RUTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious to see our defensive game plan. I expect Claeys to come out firing with an aggressive blitzing scheme designed to limit coverage time for our secondary. Hopefully it can yield a few turnovers, as I expect it to yield several big plays.

I'm hopeful that Mitch plays loose and when called upon makes good decisions and really slings it. No pressure, right? No Big Ten West race, no pressure to get bowl eligible, no need to slide, etc. Hopefully we see Leidner of last year vs. Michigan/OSU/Iowa. Obviously our line and our RB's take on epic importance.

I'm curious to see our defensive game plan. I expect Claeys to come out firing with an aggressive blitzing scheme designed to limit coverage time for our secondary. Hopefully it can yield a few turnovers, as I expect it to yield several big plays.

I'm not sure I have seen WSU play this year, so honest question. I've read many places that their QB gets rid of the ball fast on most plays. If true, might be tough to get to him even on blitzes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUTM, LOL. Wonder if someone will make a T-shirt that, say's RUTM what else would you expect?

Thanks Gopher Dude deuce for bringing a new conversation in to play. I started to get excited for the game today again and i am really curious how the team will come out.
I think talent wise the Gophers can play with these Cougs, but if they are pouting or are not prepared it will be more salt in the wounds for the program.
I would love to see the Oline play an inspired game, for Mitch to play the read option like he did in the first half vs Wisconsin.
I think Wolitarsky will have a good game and maybe Carter too. Who else will catch some balls.
If the offense is sustaining drives, I think the defense will be all right. Cashman, Myrick, and Travis are my picks to click.

And you don't think people will be watching? I bet it is one of the highest watched bowl games.
I expect boos from the self righteous WSU fans when the Gophers come out onto the playing field, but I also expect a good majority of the non-Gopher fans watching on the tele rooting for the Gophers. Will be interesting....

All for talking about the game but not sure any thread based on the premise of should we try to beat them by doing the thing we are good at or the thing we suck at really has a lot of merit.

We have zero shot if we get into a shootout with these guys, we don't have the kind of offense that is built for that. We need ball control, long drives, and TD's not Field Goals everytime we get close to the endzone. The D is going to have to come up with some turnovers as well because with all the missing pieces in the secondary we just don't have the personnel to match up with this kind of offense for an entire game.

Our best shot is if Falk sprains his groin getting off the plane.

And you don't think people will be watching? I bet it is one of the highest watched bowl games.
I expect boos from the self righteous WSU fans when the Gophers come out onto the playing field, but I also expect a good majority of the non-Gopher fans watching on the tele rooting for the Gophers. Will be interesting....

It's obviously pound the rock. With the secondary in shambles and a terrible passing game to boot, if this game turns into a shootout Minnesota loses by 20+

Depends how the game flow rolls.

All for talking about the game but not sure any thread based on the premise of should we try to beat them by doing the thing we are good at or the thing we suck at really has a lot of merit.

We have zero shot if we get into a shootout with these guys, we don't have the kind of offense that is built for that. We need ball control, long drives, and TD's not Field Goals everytime we get close to the endzone. The D is going to have to come up with some turnovers as well because with all the missing pieces in the secondary we just don't have the personnel to match up with this kind of offense for an entire game.

Depends on how the game starts as to how it will play out. If they get behind they have no choice but to sling the rock and try to outscore them. I would like to see some creativity with the read option and some mis-direction off of the two back sets. IF the running backs pick their spots and show a little more patience up front I see our O-line having a chance to lean of the WSU front 4 and linebackers. What I have seen of the Cougars is they are small and quick up front. If you can seal them off and give it a little time for some mis-direction there could be some real opportunity to have some explosive plays. Think the Gophers can catch them off guard a little bit with some inside zones and counters. Middle screens to the backs will be in play to as those guys front four really like to get up the football field. They blitz a lot up front.

Had we pounded the rock in the second half of our losses we would have been 12 and 0 and playing Ohio St in the championship. Run the ball!!

If the Gophers come out and start doing more RUTM, I will be swearing so much it will sound like outtakes from "Scarface."

Please, Jay Johnson, I beg you - show some freakin' creativity. Change up the tendencies and give WSU some looks and formations they're not expecting. Run the toss sweep - the inside counter - throw some 10-yard curls to the TE and some quick crossing routes to the WR's. Put Smith and Brooks in the backfield at the same time. Run the Jet Sweep at least 5 times - and run it with different people.

Throw the wheel route to both Smith and Brooks. Get Tyler Johnson involved in the offense early - hey, here's an idea - run Tyler Johnson on the Jet Sweep!

Pull out all the stops and show me something creative. Please. Pretty Please. Pretty Please with a natural sweetner on it. (gotta stick to the diet)

If the Gophers come out and start doing more RUTM, I will be swearing so much it will sound like outtakes from "Scarface."

Please, Jay Johnson, I beg you - show some freakin' creativity. Change up the tendencies and give WSU some looks and formations they're not expecting. Run the toss sweep - the inside counter - throw some 10-yard curls to the TE and some quick crossing routes to the WR's. Put Smith and Brooks in the backfield at the same time. Run the Jet Sweep at least 5 times - and run it with different people.

Throw the wheel route to both Smith and Brooks. Get Tyler Johnson involved in the offense early - hey, here's an idea - run Tyler Johnson on the Jet Sweep!

Pull out all the stops and show me something creative. Please. Pretty Please. Pretty Please with a natural sweetner on it. (gotta stick to the diet)
I like it!

This game is really going to test this Coaching staff.
Will the Players be ready to play? As noted, the Gophers are going have to think outside the box.
Post season Mitch has been very effective.

I'd take that bet. Last year the Holiday Bowl was the 15th most-watched game, and that game unquestionably featured teams with larger followings. I don't think national interest will change much as a result of the boycott/suspension. The game did start later last year, though. I'm guessing it's again around 15th most watched this year.

There was a thread last year talking about how the Quick Lane bowl had a great time slot and so 3 million people would watch. Ruppert even predicted it would get more than last year's Holiday Bowl. Turned out only 1.49 million people watched, making it the 33rd ranked bowl, and putting it 2.76 million people behind the Holiday Bowl.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/

I was with your right up until you floated the crazy idea of using a fast receiver on the Jet Sweep. Not sure why people float that idea around here....it is simply crazy talk. Jet Sweeps must be run with the slowest receiver on the roster to the short side of the field.

I'd take that bet. Last year the Holiday Bowl was the 15th most-watched game, and that game unquestionably featured teams with larger followings. I don't think national interest will change much as a result of the boycott/suspension. The game did start later last year, though. I'm guessing it's again around 15th most watched this year.

There was a thread last year talking about how the Quick Lane bowl had a great time slot and so 3 million people would watch. Ruppert even predicted it would get more than last year's Holiday Bowl. Turned out only 1.49 million people watched, making it the 33rd ranked bowl, and putting it 2.76 million people behind the Holiday Bowl.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/

I don't remember saying that about the Quick Lane Bowl. Show me, and I'll stand corrected.

+1,000,000....If I see the read option with Rodney on the first play I may pull my fingernails out
With my wife's eyebrow tweezers.

I am with SON.

Unless you are paying in the BCS championship, bowl games should be about style and excitement. I have no desire to watch a boring game in the hopes the gophers eke out a 10-7 win.

I am with SON.

Unless you are paying in the BCS championship, bowl games should be about style and excitement. I have no desire to watch a boring game in the hopes the gophers eke out a 10-7 win.

Going to go out on a limb and say you don't need to worry about a lack of style with Mike Leech coaching on the other sideline. Considering they only went under 20 one time this year and that was against Washington I think it is a safe bet that some points are going to be scored on the 27th.

We can start with what they did to that running back in the movie M*A*S*H and go from there.

I was with your right up until you floated the crazy idea of using a fast receiver on the Jet Sweep. Not sure why people float that idea around here....it is simply crazy talk. Jet Sweeps must be run with the slowest receiver on the roster to the short side of the field.

I get your point and joke, but wondering do we have a fast receiver that plays?
I wouldn't mind seeing Myrick line up for a few plays on offense, but he will probably be gassed with playing defense in this game.

Run the ball. Blitz like crazy on D. Hope the # of 50 yard + TD's you surrender is less than the # of turnovers you generate.

Definitely run, run, run. Maybe not so much UTM. I know it wasn't his plan, but looking for JJ to do something similar to the Nebraska game in 2013. Jet sweeps, reverses, throw in a halfback option. Banking on bowl game Mitch showing up.

Top Bottom