Sticking With The U?

At this time players involved could be eligible but leadership suspended them after hearing one side of the story only. Their names are now broadcast all over as guilty. That has not been determined yet. They have not had hearings. If they are not guilty there would have been hardly a days news, had leadership waited. If they are guilty, the main offenders are gone from school and people get that and move on...again a much shorter quieter discussion with consequences.

By suspending them with no due process before a bowl game there is just no way that decision is going to put the University in the best light and it obviously (to me) is not how I'd handle it regarding their rights. It's wrong. And there are no punishments in place yet to give people closure if they are guilty. Plus the girl has to see this in the news and broadcast on television for months without a conclusion. Just wait until it's over to make it public and it is better for each and every person and group involved.

The team and coach stood up for the rights of their teammates story to be heard by impartial people before they were branded guilty. Nobody is condoning sexual assault. The police investigation determined it consensual.

The chairman of the U of M regents said the process is flawed. Kaler and Coyle handled it poorly. Nobody needs to know anything until there is an outcome.

Well, if they had waited until the conclusion of the upcoming formal hearing the University and the team would have been accused of promoting rape culture. Glad we dodged that bullet!

Oh Hell, no clue which of the 25 threads to mention this in, but read yesterday a Michigan WR was suspended this week after being charged with sexual harassment. The event took place in Oct and MI didn't suspend him until he was charged 2 months later. Criminally charged, not some BS group saying they felt the kid "likely" did something wrong. Sounds like they support a rape culture in Ann Arbor, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a life long supporter, I'm not going anywhere. There are still lots of good kids in the program to pull for. Hopefully it was a learning experience for college kids and they grow from it.

Over 90% of the team was not involved in the alleged incident. It's unfortunately that less than 10% of the team has caused so many issues, but they will likely not be part of the team for much longer. I still believe the vast majority of the team is comprised of good people and I still support the 90% who were not involved in this incident. I will continue to use my "M" address labels, I am flying to California in 3 days to attend the Holiday Bowl, and I am renewing my season tickets next year. End of story.

Ditto

I haven't given up. It's not like the U tried to cover it up. It was investigated by the police, investigated internally and the U took action. We did what we were supposed to do. If this were like Baylor where they were systematically trying to cover it up then I would probably stop supporting the team.

I can't give up my season tickets because Saturday gameday is part of my DNA. But I find it difficult to wear maroon and gold lately.

I'm a lifer. I get tired of the embarrassing incidents, but the University is bigger, and better, than any one athlete, team, coach, AD, professor or President.

Lifer here as well. I'm loyal to a fault. However, I have recently changed my screen saver at work from Gopher football to my other alma mater; Ohio State. I will always root for the Gophs over Ohio State, but I don't want patients starting a conversation with me about our Gophs right now. Nothing good can come from it.

Watching the Bowl game, but agreed with others here; with less intensity and hope.

I will always stick with them. Just wish they didn't make it such a bumpy ride.

I'm a life long supporter, I'm not going anywhere. There are still lots of good kids in the program to pull for. Hopefully it was a learning experience for college kids and they grow from it.

Ditto! A few bad apples mess things up for all of the students that are giving their heart and soul to the U. Those students and the University needs our support, not to be thrown out with the dirty dishwasher. When the going gets tough the tough get going! I proudly wear my Gopher stuff all the time. The U is bigger than this and it will pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this time players involved could be eligible but leadership suspended them after hearing one side of the story only. Their names are now broadcast all over as guilty. That has not been determined yet. They have not had hearings. If they are not guilty there would have been hardly a days news, had leadership waited. If they are guilty, the main offenders are gone from school and people get that and move on...again a much shorter quieter discussion with consequences.

By suspending them with no due process before a bowl game there is just no way that decision is going to put the University in the best light and it obviously (to me) is not how I'd handle it regarding their rights. It's wrong. And there are no punishments in place yet to give people closure if they are guilty. Plus the girl has to see this in the news and broadcast on television for months without a conclusion. Just wait until it's over to make it public and it is better for each and every person and group involved.

The team and coach stood up for the rights of their teammates story to be heard by impartial people before they were branded guilty. Nobody is condoning sexual assault. The police investigation determined it consensual.

The chairman of the U of M regents said the process is flawed. Kaler and Coyle handled it poorly. Nobody needs to know anything until there is an outcome.

I agree with you that Kaler & Coyle handled it poorly, but there is one major error in your post that you should retract. You said, "The police investigation determined it consensual." It absolutely did not do that. The police decided there wasn't enough evidence that would convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime had occurred. They absolutely did not determine this incident was consensual.

What happened was bad, very bad. We could argue over whether it was criminal, but there will never be enough evidence to prove it one way or another. Regardless, I think the best thing you could say for us, is to argue - as other posters on this thread have - that we are no Baylor or Penn St. There was no AD/University cover up of the crime here.

This thread will be a good reference later on, to see who the bandwagon fans are. Gophers forever! Bwahhhhh! ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lifer here as well. I'm loyal to a fault. However, I have recently changed my screen saver at work from Gopher football to my other alma mater; Ohio State. I will always root for the Gophs over Ohio State, but I don't want patients starting a conversation with me about our Gophs right now. Nothing good can come from it.

Watching the Bowl game, but agreed with others here; with less intensity and hope.

There are other sports at the U. Hockey team has some screen savers...

I worked my way through the U and have an engineering degree to show for it that I am DAMN proud of. Wearing the maroon and gold is a privilege. You and I represent the U, not the damn football team. To the bitter end.

This^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in India. My father did a degree at the U. The reason for me coming for my undergrad (as did my sister) to the U.

I am going to Mysore (approximately 55 m away), with two tabs, to watch an illegal stream on 29th morning, 5 am, of my teams playing. This is because on my farm the wifi signal is not good.

Yes, yeah I am still a fan. Plan to send my kids there ( unless they get in to Harvard or Oxford ).

Cheers all.

My Wife just found some return address labels that don't have the University's "M" or Goldy on them. This year we're gonna use those. Just tired of answering all the questions.

We sent those cards out with the generic return labels. Have received about 5 more phone calls/emails asking about the boycott since then. We also have 16 people coming over to watch the game Tuesday night, a "school night" in Minnesota. Have told them we're gonna have the Gopher/MSU Basketball game on in the porch and the Holiday Bowl on two other TVs. Also told people we don't want to talk about the "troubles" during the game.

They all think those are fine ideas.

Merry Christmas everybody and here's to a couple of big Gopher wins on Tuesday.

:drink:

It's sad that Claeys changed the culture that this type of behavior happens.

Top Bottom