Soucheray: U of M player of character would have cleared the building helped woman

I'm not buying racism here. I think the agenda of the EOAA is obvious and we shouldn't take the focus off of the CF it is by looking for other reasons. It waters down the rightful outrage many have for the EOAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this isn't a race issue. The EoAA is a ethnically diverse group. The cases that I witnessed dealing with these offices involved mostly white males and the investigation and recommendations were identical.

This is agenda driven, but not from a racial standpoint.

I'm actually glad we have nuts like Upnorth and Dean and the like posting here to illustrate just how mentally screwed up the human race is. I see it every day and it is often difficult to explain to people that don't deal with a wide swath of the general public on a daily basis. Up is down, left is right, obliteration of civil rights = "due process" (it's a process dontcha' know?! It's a process!). Yes, asking for a fair hearing and legal process and protections (for all individuals) with purpose to determine if a crime occurred certainly sounds like 1932 Germany.

I'll assume you wrote this because you aren't aware of the U's processes. As you know, the suspensions/expulsions from the U have been stayed, pending the hearings, because the players appealed. Since they've paid tuition -- or had it paid for them -- they have some contractual rights to due process regarding those suspensions/expulsions. But representing the U on the football team is not such a right; it's a privilege, and therefore has fewer, if any, due process rights. In fact, the Student-Athlete Conduct Code spells out exactly what can be appealed. http://www.gophersports.com/sports/student-affairs/spec-rel/code-of-conduct.html And I know you know better than to believe that student or student-athlete conduct codes should only include criminal activity. That's not what was or will be determined here.

Yes, the U of MN has guidelines and a process to follow for these situations. What I'm saying (and what others are saying) is that the process should have been allowed to play out BEFORE any of this was made public. The suspensions were announced; the EOAA report was made public; the players' names were made public, and their pictures were splashed all over the media - BEFORE the process was completed.

Let me say this - when all is said and done, I believe several of the players acted badly and deserve some type of discipline/punishment. But, I also believe at least a few of the players were involved to a much lesser degree, and deserve a much milder type of discipline. It is those players I am most concerned with. In the eyes of the public, they have been branded as rapists or criminals. I do not believe they deserve to have their reputations destroyed BEFORE the disciplinary process has been completed.

That's all I'm saying - let the ENTIRE process play out before passing judgement. We are about 45 minutes into a 2-hour movie. Anyone who says they are 100% certain they know how the movie will end has apparently never seen a movie with a surprise ending.

The U did not publicly link these suspensions/expulsions to the September 2nd incident. That was done by the players' lawyer, Lee HUtton. To the extent the team was protesting damaged reputations, they should have been protesting at his office.

I'll assume you wrote this because you aren't aware of the U's processes. As you know, the suspensions/expulsions from the U have been stayed, pending the hearings, because the players appealed. Since they've paid tuition -- or had it paid for them -- they have some contractual rights to due process regarding those suspensions/expulsions. But representing the U on the football team is not such a right; it's a privilege, and therefore has fewer, if any, due process rights. In fact, the Student-Athlete Conduct Code spells out exactly what can be appealed. http://www.gophersports.com/sports/student-affairs/spec-rel/code-of-conduct.html And I know you know better than to believe that student or student-athlete conduct codes should only include criminal activity. That's not what was or will be determined here.

I'm well aware of the process. What you are failing to understand is that the EEOA is not equipped to undertake investigations of this nature, the process forces the accused to prove their innocence, and the process was changed in 2011 to further tilt the deck and load the dice. The OCR holds a pretty big stick here via the federal funding issue but that does not mean the process is in any way fair, unbiased, transparent, or thorough.

Top Bottom