Holiday Bowl starting secondary?

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
In an attempt to start a thread about actual football being played, lets just assume all 10 players will not play and that they all will transfer or sit out for a year.

Given that, who is our starting secondary against Washington St.? I assume Durr and McGhee will start, but who else are we prepping to cover Leach's offense?

Travis, McGhee, Myrick will all start I assume. After that, we will be shuffling through the following: Ayinde, Jacob Huff, Durr, Craighton, Amoako.

Just a guess but I would think some of the smaller/quicker LBs will be forced to spend a fair amount of time in coverage roles to help bolster the depleted secondary. WSU loves to spread the field so the lack of depth back there is going to be a major problem for the D in trying to make sure they cover up all the receivers.

I think this game sets up nicely for Cashman to produce.

He has done a great job blitzing and making plays at or near the line of scrimmage. This game will test his ability in coverage, not sure we have seen much of that to date. Have a feeling we will have a lot of guys on the defense being put in new situations in this game, will be interesting to see how they hold up.

He has done a great job blitzing and making plays at or near the line of scrimmage. This game will test his ability in coverage, not sure we have seen much of that to date. Have a feeling we will have a lot of guys on the defense being put in new situations in this game, will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Agreed. Nice to have conversations that don't stem around [REDACTED] as I am pretty much exhausted about talking about that.

Should be some good experience for some guys in coverage and hopefully the coaching staff can get them to play to the best of their abilities. That is really all we can ask. That and have Ayinde actually tackle. :cool:

Did any of our receivers or running backs play in the secondary in High School - is a position change or two possible?

Did any of our receivers or running backs play in the secondary in High School - is a position change or two possible?

Tyler Johnson was recruited at safety for a number of schools. I can't imagine any scenario where we move him or any other WR. We are already thin at WR.

Won't matter as we will be playing a run-controlled, clock-consuming, ball-control, 8-mintue drive offense (capped off by TDs), every time we touch the ball. Their O will barely see the field!

Our best chance may be to blitz a lot and concede that we will give up some big plays and 300-400 passing yards but hope that we get 2-3 turnovers.

I think we'll be just fine in the first half, and may even have the lead. My concern is the adjustments the "Pirate" makes at halftime. As Mason said after he showed up at the ringing of the bell to kickoff the day at NASDAQ dressed in jeans and cowboy boats. " That guy is a strange cat" Well and true, but he can coach. We had no second half answer for him in the Texas Tech debacle. I feel better with Sawvel to counter any adjustments the Pirate makes.

Yeah, obviously that 2nd CB spot is the biggest worry. Craighton and Amoako. Ouch.
Safety, I'm worried but not as worried. Both Huff and Ayinde have played plenty -- albeit not well at times -- and won't be deer in headlights.

As others said, guys like Coughlin and Cashman will need to step up and do a great job in coverage getting out into flats and such. Our interior DL should get decent push as they usually do and force the short throws. At that point it's about making tackles. WSU is a good team, but it's not like they're the freaking Greatest Show on Turf. Their QB will miss some throws, their WR's will drop some balls, we'll make some good plays. I expect them to score 30+, but it's not as if our team will be running around haplessly...at least I hope not.

I think our D -line will need to put alot of pressure on the qb. We can't let him have time to disect our secondary.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Yeah, obviously that 2nd CB spot is the biggest worry. Craighton and Amoako. Ouch.
Safety, I'm worried but not as worried. Both Huff and Ayinde have played plenty

You have to get pressure on Falk to beat him. He is just so methodical in the way he runs Leach's offense(he is really fun to watch, does not make many mistakes). If you can make him move around in the pocket and stop the run(now that WSU has decent a run game) that is how your slow this team down. In conference the only team that did that was UW, their front 7 is scary legit.

Honest to god they will come out the 1st 2 series and just look like crap, look like they forgot to practice, would bet you 10 bucks they go 3 and out both times. Only games they did not were Arizona, Cal, and Oregon and those were over by Halftime.

In Cal game Falk was just insane, was 32-35 and the WR dropped 2 passes and he overthrew 1 in the end zone. Then the back up came in and he went 15-17, I will never see anything like that again live.

I will be interesting to see what happens.

The other part that is hard is they will play up to 11 receivers during the game and test the depth of your secondary.

Tyler Johnson can play a little DB too...dont forget that

Tyler Johnson was recruited at safety for a number of schools. I can't imagine any scenario where we move him or any other WR. We are already thin at WR.

Ah! missed your post.. well, great minds. I also think Philip Howard can play CB, if they chose to torch that redshirt

Safety, I'm worried but not as worried. Both Huff and Ayinde have played plenty -- albeit not well at times -- and won't be deer in headlights.

As others said, guys like Coughlin and Cashman will need to step up and do a great job in coverage getting out into flats and such. Our interior DL should get decent push as they usually do and force the short throws. At that point it's about making tackles. WSU is a good team, but it's not like they're the freaking Greatest Show on Turf. Their QB will miss some throws, their WR's will drop some balls, we'll make some good plays. I expect them to score 30+, but it's not as if our team will be running around haplessly...at least I hope not.

Sawvel has his hands full and the LBs are going to have to play really well in coverage, but hopefully we can show them enough different looks to throw them off-balance from time-to-time.

I think our D -line will need to put alot of pressure on the qb. We can't let him have time to disect our secondary.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

He has to be running his life and the WRs need to be knocked on their ass at the LOS.

will we get a depth chart before the game? curious to see the two deeps

He has to be running his life and the WRs need to be knocked on their ass at the LOS.

The pickle we are likely in is if we blitz, the remaining LBs are going to have to be in a position to cover the underneath routes. I don't find Leach's schemes to be all that revolutionary. It reminds me of pre-merger AFL football (yes, I'm that old). The thing is there is always a safety valve receiver, so even if you get pressure, the QB always has a checkdown (or two) guy waiting. The goal is to limit the yardage on the checkdown routes.

I think the major factor is how our team responds to all that has happened this past week. They could come out down and out, or all be pumped up.
The team captains and/or coaches will determine this.

If they all come out of the tunnel grinning I like our chances...
"I like a man who grins when he fights".......Winston Churchill

If they all come out of the tunnel grinning I like our chances...
"I like a man who grins when he fights".......Winston Churchill

It's easy to grin
When your ship comes in
And you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile,
Is the man who can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Judge Elihu Smails

Won't matter as we will be playing a run-controlled, clock-consuming, ball-control, 8-mintue drive offense (capped off by TDs), every time we touch the ball. Their O will barely see the field!

Gob Bless you Sir!

Top Bottom