Hutton to the Minnesota Daily: There are plans to sue ‘everyone.’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Hutton to the Minnesota Daily: There are plans to sue ‘everyone.’

All 10 players suspended from football activities plan to file lawsuits against “everyone,” including potential suits against the alleged victim-survivor, Lee Hutton — the attorney representing all 10 players — told the Minnesota Daily. He wouldn’t disclose other possible recipients of a suit, but added they would come “pretty soon.”

“We have certain individuals that we believe have infringed on my clients’ constitutional and civil rights, and possibly have provided collusion in other civil conspiracy claims that damaged my clients’ image,” Hutton said.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2016/12/boycott-aftermath-lawsuits-hearings

Go Gophers!!

And they will get rather large settlements.

Any undergraduate education major knows enough to not say and confirm the things Kaler said about private data to the media

No recruits have de-committed

So far, no player for the Gophers’ 2017 recruiting class has publicly announced they are no longer committed to the program.

Whether the boycott affects recruiting in the future remains to be seen. Blaise Andries, the Gophers’ top recruit for 2017, reaffirmed his commitment to the program after the boycott was announced, but hasn’t commented since it was lifted.

Goal Line Club president on Kaler, Coyle decision: ‘I have no problems with it at all.’

Bob Hughes — the seven-year president of the football boosters Goal Line Club — reaffirmed his organization’s mission Saturday night to “do everything in our power to get fans excited about Golden Gopher football” and said the recent events have not changed his perception of the program.

Hughes said the organization will continue to support Claeys and his staff. He also said he thinks Coyle and University President Eric Kaler “did a good job” handling the situation.

Winfield Jr. expected to transfer

Antoine Winfield Sr., the father of one of the suspended players, said Thursday night that if the president and athletic director keep their jobs, his son would not attend the University of Minnesota.

On Saturday evening, Winfield’s decision still held, Hutton said. He also said he expects “quite a few” more transfers.

Around 250 people rallied for support of sexual assault survivors Saturday afternoon

Hundreds of demonstrators rallied in support of sexual assault victim-survivors in 4-degree Fahrenheit weather outside of TCF Bank Stadium Saturday afternoon.

The Saturday demonstration was planned Tuesday, after the University said the 10 players were suspended from all football activities because of their connection to an alleged Sept 2. sexual assault.

Players unite on Twitter by using #NLMB, or ‘Never Leave My Brothers’

Shortly after the decision to lift the boycott was announced, multiple Gophers football players took to Twitter and tweeted out their support for the team with the hashtag “#NLMB,” which stands for “Never Leave My Brothers”.

Other people on Twitter used the same hashtag to criticize the football team, accusing them of not understanding consent and offering their support for sexual assault victim-survivors.

Hearing process likely to begin in January

Kaler said at a Saturday news conference that the players will likely enter the University’s hearing process in January. All 10 have filed an appeal to the University’s decision, Hutton said.

The University's decision is based on the school's Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) report, which investigates Title IX cases related to sexual assault.

Five players are facing expulsion, four of them are facing a one-year suspension and one is facing probation as recommended by the University’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.

Hopefully the players that end up transferring elsewhere didn't use the never leave my brothers hashtag

A lawsuit may be risky, especially against the alleged victim. If they sue her for defamation, she undoubtedly files a counter suit for battery, assault, etc. and we're right back to the he-said, she-said debate, again with the preponderance of evidence standard.

I continue to wonder what role, if any, the alleged victim and her attorney played in the EEOA investigation after the restraining order case settled. That settlement was supposed to end this, and if I were the alleged victim, I would absolutely not have wanted the EEOA to drop this nuke that reopened everything.

Hutton appears to be a bit of a joke. Imagine he wanted to be AD.

If she was truly raped and assaulted why would she have been fine with the results the 1st time? I believe she said she was happy with it and ready to move on? just find that very interesting.

hutton is the gloria allred of the local legal scene.

Hutton appears to be a bit of a joke. Imagine he wanted to be AD.

I don't agree with this, Hutton is doing what any good attorney would do that is doing the best they can in defending his clients. What more could he be asked to do, he is their advocate and seems to be one of the few that is defending these individuals. Even if you do not like it they have a right to due process and an appeal. I am glad someone is willing to fight on their behalf, not everything these players are being painted to be and are accused of is entirely true. They have the right to have their side heard, defend themselves, even under the University's code of conduct.

If she was truly raped and assaulted why would she have been fine with the results the 1st time? I believe she said she was happy with it and ready to move on? just find that very interesting.

I thought the same thing. It's weird. But the whole World is weird too. Who knows.

This also raises a question for me.... And I truly hope this girl didn't get raped..

http://m.startribune.com/attorney-lee-hutton-joins-barnes-thornburg/386521071/

Local attorney Lee Hutton III has joined the Minneapolis office of Barnes & Thornburg LLP as a partner in the firm’s litigation department and the entertainment, media and sports practice group.

Hutton, who previously served as the chair of the entertainment practice group at Zelle LLP, is known for his litigation work representing celebrities, athletes and other entertainers including professional basketball player Kris Humphries during his divorce from media personality Kim Kardashian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that we needed it but this is more proof that none of this will be going away anytime soon. Lawsuits don't ever move quickly so this will be dragging on for months and months depending on how wide of a net they cast and who they choose to go after.

According to attorney on BTN, the players will have their day in court.

Title IX does not mean the students do not have a right to due process in court.

You don't plead the 5th on the stand and or settle if you're 100% innocent of any wrong doing and truely a victim. She knows her words and or actions that night could come back to haunt her somehow, and thus the reason they settled. I'm sure she suffered a lot, but I'm also sure she isn't as accurate as she claims to be.

You don't plead the 5th on the stand and or settle if you're 100% innocent of any wrong doing and truely a victim. She knows her words and or actions that night could come back to haunt her somehow, and thus the reason they settled. I'm sure she suffered a lot, but I'm also sure she isn't as accurate as she claims to be.
This is spot on, not saying Still's tweets were the right thing to do, but I believe they know a lot more information then the public knows and it will come out in time.

Maybe she just wanted it to go away, but most people would fight if they truly were sexual assaulted.

Most women never report their rape. In fact, less than 34% report. And, of that, because many do not seek a same day rape test at a hospital or clinic, there is a lack of evidence. So, prosecutors do not press charges. The reason most women don't file and seek rape tests is due to the lack of prosecutions. This woman did something unusual. She told people about what happened and her mom got her to a hospital same morning.

As for due process, my goodness, a different set of laws with different set of standards, with different legal outcomes (suspensions or expulsions and not a criminal record). Sounds like this is a more fair deal for the men versus a criminal record and a prison term. But, if you would ask Lee Hutton, attorney at law, he might say that the men are already destroyed and they deserve compensation for not going to prison and not having a criminal record. You can't make this **** up. The guy is suggesting that these men have been harmed by committing a societal sin, being brought before a private meeting within a university, and potentially being expelled and having nothing on their transcript as to why they stopped attending. Instead, a father and son duo get all indignant about due process that they damage themselves in public by releasing the internal, private investigation details of the EOAA. Brilliant move to preserve the integrity of the son's image. Absolutely, brilliant piece of public relations by that single family. You just can't make up a story like this for Hollywood and make it look believable. Who would do such a stupid thing. And, who describes a Title IX investigation and report a problem with "due process" problems when due process is still available to the accused?

This is spot on, not saying Still's tweets were the right thing to do, but I believe they know a lot more information then the public knows and it will come out in time.

I know, and agree, but what are they supposed to do when it seems everyone takes Kaler's words as truth and final, and all the players, especially the ones that probably did nothing more than be inaccurate with their statements are labeled as rapists? It's like, if I tell my whole story, I'll get in trouble... if I don't tell my side of it, I'll continue to be labeled wrong. Tough situation for everyone. And these are young adults, where image is everything at this point.

Maybe she just wanted it to go away, but most people would fight if they truly were sexual assaulted.

Sometimes victims of sexual assault decide not to press charges because of the consequences of pressing charges.

I posted this elsewhere, but please read the attached about a particular case at the University: http://www.startribune.com/after-au...e-her-rapist-u-student-fought-back/398051931/

And for anyone who believes the justice system is severely stacked against the accused, please read the following from that article: "What she didn’t know was that there had been more than 1,000 sex assaults reported since 2010 to the Aurora Center, the school’s rape prevention and victim advocacy department, according to a Star Tribune review of the center’s reports. Yet, according to the Aurora Center’s director, Katie Eichele, the total number of rapists who had been prosecuted was zero."

As a man, I have never, ever been in situation in which I felt at risk of sexual assault. But I can try to sympathize with a victim, who in order to seek justice must bear an intrusive physical examination, the high likelihood of ugly character attacks and frankly having some people believe, no matter what the outcome, that she contributed it. Under those circumstances I do not feel qualified to judge any decision the victim makes about what to do next.

This is not a comment on the guilt or innocence of the players in this case. But I think we should all be hesitant to say what a victim of sexual assault should or would do. Just as we should expect due process for anyone who is accused.

One thing I am absolutely certain of...all the money and lawsuits and punishment wont change the fact that 10 student athletes and one young woman will never have the life they wanted or intended. This stuff in this day and age doesn't go away...the internet is written in permanent marker for all to see at a moments notice.

I would spend every penny I had and do all in my power to clear my name if I thought I was innocent and if I felt she lied about me or the University branded me a rapist unfairly, I would sue for the legal maximum and fight to the bitter end...when you have nothing left to lose you fight to the death.

I don't think thee lawsuits go well for Hutton. At least not all of them.

and

She also said she never wanted anyone to be punished...she just wanted to feel safe. Those are not the words of someone sexually assaulted. If you are violated, it doesn't go away. Her words are more inline with the 5th amendment, the police report, Still's comments etc. She changed her mind and she had regrets is how we got here imo. Then it all just got bigger than life and everybody is looking around corners. It's all this because of how poorly it was handled by the university.

Kaler and Coyle make it worse each time they speak and Coyle hasn't said much except Tracy did it.

One thing I am absolutely certain of...all the money and lawsuits and punishment wont change the fact that 10 student athletes and one young woman will never have the life they wanted or intended. This stuff in this day and age doesn't go away...the internet is written in permanent marker for all to see at a moments notice.

I would spend every penny I had and do all in my power to clear my name if I thought I was innocent and if I felt she lied about me or the University branded me a rapist unfairly, I would sue for the legal maximum and fight to the bitter end...when you have nothing left to lose you fight to the death.

Refresh my feeble memory, did the EOAA report leaked ever say the athletes were 'rapists'. And, since when did a private report that was not leaked by the U be unfair to the athletes when it was never going to be released by the U? Shouldn't the blame go to the father-son duo that apparently post the document cause the reputations to completely disintegrate? So, it was an athlete on athlete character assassination. The U isn't responsible for that stunt. Nope.

Kaler and Coyle have caused most of the problems

Were they honest with the people at the Holiday Bowl? Could the Holiday Bowl sue them?

Kaler and Coyle have caused most of the problems

Were they honest with the people at the Holiday Bowl? Could the Holiday Bowl sue them?
Maybe if they would have skipped the bowl, if they have a game contract which i assume each bowl does.

Top Bottom