Brian Murphy of Pioneer Press: No way Claeys/staff coach Gophers beyond Holiday Bowl

how big is the basketball program nationally. There has been very little success in 80 years. Look at any measurable metric. Conference won-loss record. Winning percentage, conference titles, NCAA appearances , NCAA bids. I am from California and for a really long time Gopher Hoops is seen out here as the definition of mediocre.

This has been resolved. If Kaler and Coyle express any contentment with the resolution it is impossible to accuse Clayeys of insubordination.

I forgot to add.. Not that the concept of "insubordination" on its own is relevant to any discussion in 2016 anyway. Society has wandered far far away from the military model of hierarchical decision-making in the age of information on demand.

I think there is an argument to be made as well that Claeys -- having had to deal with this incident and having to have suffered publicly for it -- might be the one coach in the country who can now take a firm stance to sexual incidents like the one occurred, thereby making this program more aware and even more vocal in terms of sexual harassment and violence

how big is the basketball program nationally. There has been very little success in 80 years. Look at any measurable metric. Conference won-loss record. Winning percentage, conference titles, NCAA appearances , NCAA bids. I am from California and for a really long time Gopher Hoops is seen out here as the definition of mediocre.

If you asked anyone nationally what sport is the Gophers best at (beside hockey) they would say basketball...

Gopher football has been subpar for over a decade. Gophers basketball has been relevant in that time frame.

Plus, Big 10 basketball has a better pedigree nationally then Big 10 football... Big 10 basketball is seen as the best or second best conference.

If you are in California, people out there think Big 10 football is third of fourth best

How about for publicly putting out players names based on a committee's recommendation before they have had their hearings to decide what, if any actions will actually be taken. Thus ruining the reputations of especially the five players that had not previously been mentioned, some of who apparently had no direct involvement in the situation. And for the apparent lie that Claeys was involved with and on board with the suspensions.

How could you suspend the players without putting out their names?

Maybe you expedite the hearings and not do anything until after the decisions have actually been made. What if the decision is that some of the players will not receive any punishment ? What kind of future do they have here ?

If you asked anyone nationally what sport is the Gophers best at (beside hockey) they would say basketball...

Gopher football has been subpar for over a decade. Gophers basketball has been relevant in that time frame.

Plus, Big 10 basketball has a better pedigree nationally then Big 10 football... Big 10 basketball is seen as the best or second best conference.

If you are in California, people out there think Big 10 football is third of fourth best

Fans of both, but I don't think this is right. Gopher football will be going to a bowl game for the fifth straight year and have finished at or above .500 in the conference for three of the past four years.

Kahler and Coyle were lying about Claeys decision to suspend the Players. Public support for the Players was the only way Tracy could set the record straight without flatly calling his bosses liars. Claeys is not going anywhere.

Kahler and Coyle were lying about Claeys decision to suspend the Players. Public support for the Players was the only way Tracy could set the record straight without flatly calling his bosses liars. Claeys is not going anywhere.

Agree

On a related note, Brian Murphy's timeline is hilarious. He went on a minor tyraid and just jumped off the deep end.

The only reason that Claeys would be in trouble, would be if the underage recruit being involved with the sexual incident leads to problems.

The only reason that Claeys would be in trouble, would be if the underage recruit being involved with the sexual incident leads to problems.

This is why I think TC gets fired. He was essentially in charge of a 17-year old that weekend and look where said 17-year old ended up. I was never on the "fire TC" side, but this changes my thoughts. To me, this is a HUGE issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I think TC gets fired. He was essentially in charge of a 17-year old that weekend and look where said 17-year old ended up. I was never on the "fire TC" side, but this changes my thoughts. To me, this is a HUGE issue.

I agree.

I'm guessing everyone at the U has known for months that a recruit was involved in this. Even so, we're only 2 weeks removed from Coyle saying Claeys has his full support.

I'm not saying he SHOULDN'T get fired for this incident, but I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as, "A recruit was there...he'll get fired."

One thing I know for sure: I've already been surprised numerous times in the past 72 hours. So I guess we'll wait and see...

The recruit issue smells the worst for TC. But otherwise and as I said in another thread I don't think he should be fired. In the absence of evidence he covered things up or really pushed against his bosses behind the scenes (a generic tweet doesn't count as that), we would be doubling down on instability and chaos. We've already lost a bunch of guys from this incident. A few more are likely to head for the exits after the bowl ends. You fire Claeys now and you get a whole separate exodus that you get when a coach is fired, plus gets seen as a martyr by his players.

I for one would like to see TC and his experienced staff with tons of continuity sort this out, not whomever we can get to inherit this mess in January.

I'm guessing everyone at the U has known for months that a recruit was involved in this. Even so, we're only 2 weeks removed from Coyle saying Claeys has his full support.

I'm not saying he SHOULDN'T get fired for this incident, but I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as, "A recruit was there...he'll get fired."

One thing I know for sure: I've already been surprised numerous times in the past 72 hours. So I guess we'll wait and see...

This is logical and I totally get the "if you didn't fire him for this before, why now" thought. It is probably right. What I will say is that the environment on this has changed a lot since then and that will factor in.

What if it leads to his signing:confused:

If Claeys is fired, Coyle better have a strong, specific and transparent reason why directly tied to this issue. This puts the U in a potential legal bind, but just a week or two ago, Coyle said he stood by Claeys. Obviously this boycott and the suspensions hadn't happened yet, but the incident itself obviously had and it was known the investigation was ongoing. But Coyle endorsed Claeys with all the incident already part of his "resume" and the investigation ongoing. So Coyle looks really bad as well if he makes a move unless something specific happened in the last few days.

Go Gophers!!
This is not true at all.

It would be true if they tried not to pay him, but if they buy him out they can literally have no reason to do it other than they wanted to.

I think he's back. The retention level of current players is likely highest that way since the coaches were supportive of the team. There is probably some friction wih the AD, but I'd bet he gets another year to prove to Coyle that he's the long term solution.

There is one aspect to this program that constantly gets overlooked.
The Gopher football program is one of the top programs in the country for academic performance.
That has to carry a lot a weight with this university.
This Coaching staff is going nowhere.

You tell them they are suspended but don't put out a press release. Literally happens thousands of times per day at public schools who suspend kids.

I'm not so sure that Claeys tweet about supporting his players was surprising to Coyle. How do we know that they didn't meet behind closed doors and come to this as their safest path to navigate?

The current buyout for Claeys and the assistant coaches is over 3 million. Next year it'll be 250k. He'll be back, then let go after next season.
This. He'll be back baring any further developments of insubordination by Claeys or further revelations. Coyle will have ample cause to fire jabba after a disappointing 2017 season. I don't see how we have a bowl eligible team next season. Then, maybe, just maybe we shell out some $ for a legit coaching staff.

Did TC facilitate the recruit meeting this girl? Are recruits typically confined to quarters on visits? Do we know any details at all of how this recruit came to be in Apartment B and not with his minder? I think it's a large jump to fire a coach over an isolated (as far as we know) incident of a team member not supervising the recruit on the visit. Obviously this is not good but let's be real, this type of hooking up is not rare in college. Poor judgement all around. Did we ever decide if this was statutory rape? How old was this woman?

"He's our coach, we'll move on" - K's comments to KSTP this morning. No way is he fired.

Hey let's not forget the objective of this columnist dude either, stirring the pot and getting clicks for his failing newspaper is a strong incentive. Don't play into it.

Did TC facilitate the recruit meeting this girl? Are recruits typically confined to quarters on visits? Do we know any details at all of how this recruit came to be in Apartment B and not with his minder? I think it's a large jump to fire a coach over an isolated (as far as we know) incident of a team member not supervising the recruit on the visit. Obviously this is not good but let's be real, this type of hooking up is not rare in college. Poor judgement all around. Did we ever decide if this was statutory rape? How old was this woman?

When the women's identify undoubtedly becomes public at some point, this will occupy another 2-4 media cycles

When the women's identify undoubtedly becomes public at some point, this will occupy another 2-4 media cycles

It's already well known by students at the school. That's the tragedy in all of this.

Absolutely agree with this. Thus far Coyle and his "leadership in the background" mentality has not demonstrated he is the guy to take this program to the next level. Everything that has occurred recently, basketball, wrestling, and now football has come under Kaler's watch. Coyle needed to come in boldly....he did not...which means he has aligned to a weak administration, which has been the problem for years. Claeys may end up being a scapegoat, but leadership starts at the top (or not).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably better to wait til mid to end of next year to can Claeys. Much better timing. Of course, unless you can get Fleck, which is extremely doubtful. Not many coaches are going to want to come to this media market, or a market with so many other things to do, including the Vikings. Of course we all know this.

If Richard Pitino could survive the basketball team's scandal, I think Clayes can too.

Sure, the football team might have been involved in a bigger scandal, amplified by the boycott, but the Gophers basketball program is a bigger name nationally than the football team...

ESPN and everyone else will soon forget about this

In the meantime, I hope the program can grow from it too

This is bigger than the basketball scandal and Pitino has shown a lot more promise than Clayes in terms of building a program

Top Bottom