Brian Murphy of Pioneer Press: No way Claeys/staff coach Gophers beyond Holiday Bowl

This is why I think TC gets fired. He was essentially in charge of a 17-year old that weekend and look where said 17-year old ended up. I was never on the "fire TC" side, but this changes my thoughts. To me, this is a HUGE issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the hard part for a coach. On my recruiting trips i always spent the day with 1 or 2 players and the coach, and then at night stay with a group of players in their dorms/apartments. Sadly this is what every recruit in the nation does, and a coach isn't there to monitor them the entire visit. The whole purpose for a recruit going on a visit is to be with the players. The only thing TC possibly did wrong was picking one of these kids to have the recruit stay with.

If Claeys is fired, any way we keep Sawvel?
I love Sawvel....

Supporting the players in a rather vanilla tweet is not cause to fire Claeys. Losing control of his team is reason to fire Claeys. That he lost 100% in terms of supporting the EOAA and the policies of the University of Minnesota.

If Claeys is fired, any way we keep Sawvel?
I love Sawvel....

Unfortunately Sawvel took the, us against the world mentality in comments this week as well. They may all get run.

Probably better to wait til mid to end of next year to can Claeys. Much better timing. Of course, unless you can get Fleck, which is extremely doubtful. Not many coaches are going to want to come to this media market, or a market with so many other things to do, including the Vikings. Of course we all know this.

This isn't really true. There were good coaches interested when they made the mistake with Brewster. There is a lot of talent, and a good coach knows he can keep the good players from leaving. A good coach also sees the upgrades in facilities, and a grace period because of the crap that just went on, and knows he would be a hero almost immediately.

I have been all for keeping Claeys, but with the past few days think they may need to restart things a little to win some people back.

"Your fired" is an easy and often lazy management style. It can be expensive as well.

Mistakes, when understood and corrected, can be opportunities for meaningful development.

Claeys AND staff did not prepare a large number of players for behaving in an appropriate manner. I personally think the failure to discipline after the event is an even larger fireable offense.

If Tracy does not believe that a distinctly strong and immediate disciplinary action is appropriate in this case, then he cannot be our coach. He failed this time. Will he commit to not failing the next time?

I think he needs to be very clear with his bosses what he has learned and how he will not repeat past failings.

Claeys just needs to follow Pitino's example. Pitino took much blame on himself and talked about getting better as men. Claeys needs to do the same. Claeys needs to be the one that boots anyone off the team. That's owning it and showing leadership. He can still do this.

Claeys was in the meeting that the players decided to go down this ridiculous boycott path and did not have the leadership ability to talk them down from the ledge and deal with what was a mutiny. He also sent out a completely tone deaf tweet after that. He was basically on the sidelines while the fate of his team's bowl game was decided. That's poor leadership and he should be shown the door.

Claeys was in the meeting that the players decided to go down this ridiculous boycott path and did not have the leadership ability to talk them down from the ledge and deal with what was a mutiny. He also sent out a completely tone deaf tweet after that. He was basically on the sidelines while the fate of his team's bowl game was decided. That's poor leadership and he should be shown the door.

Your opinion of Claeys depends on your point of view of the entire debacle. The players' boycott was completely justified.

I was for moving on from Claeys for performance reasons, and his Tweet this week did not inspire any confidence from me. I don't mind him supporting his players, but the Tweet was so poorly constructed that it makes him look bad. The "never been prouder" was such a dumb statement to make from a coach who A. Rarely tweets so you know he gave it some consideration before putting it out there and B. Knew at least the nature of the accusations against the players who had been suspended. If he simply stated something like I respect my players decision to not participate in football activities until they receive they answers they are looking for...we wouldn't be in this position of considering his job status. I am not saying that Coach Claeys ever condoned poor behavior (much less was proud of it) just that his Tweet left things open to interpretation from the majority of the people who are not deep thinkers.

Wrong. Coach Sherels was the only coach invited to that meeting. He might even have been in San Diego. Other than that, great point.

I can certainly see wanting him gone for the same reasons as 2 weeks ago, but I don't see how this week changes anything. The players were upset by how Kaler/Coyle communicated this to them, and justifiably so. He supported them publicly in a poorly worded tweet. That is hardly a fire-able offense, IMO. Our President-elect fires off multiple per day.

Claeys just needs to follow Pitino's example. Pitino took much blame on himself and talked about getting better as men. Claeys needs to do the same. Claeys needs to be the one that boots anyone off the team. That's owning it and showing leadership. He can still do this.

Yeah I thought Pitino did a good job handling the situation. Especially this Summer. He brought in a bunch of different speakers including Tony Dungy, to speak to the guys.

Wrong. Coach Sherels was the only coach invited to that meeting. He might even have been in San Diego. Other than that, great point.

You'll have to take that up with the Star Tribune.

With that unified voice, the players then invited Claeys to join their meeting. Sources told the Star Tribune that the head coach expressed reservations about the boycott at first but relented by meeting’s end.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/

Depends how you look at it. Sherels was the only coach at the players only meeting. They invited TC in after they had decided. You are right that TC didn't talk them out of it tho.

It's not a players only meeting if a coach is there. So one of Claeys coaches was there for the whole meeting and Claeys was there for part of it. That's a failure of leadership and they should have brokered any compromise with their bosses instead of letting the players do it.

It's not a players only meeting if a coach is there. So one of Claeys coaches was there for the whole meeting and Claeys was there for part of it. That's a failure of leadership and they should have brokered any compromise with their bosses instead of letting the players do it.

I'm not debating, just telling you what I heard. I can't confirm Sherels was there, but it was reported the players invited him to the "players only" meeting so I assume he attended. As reported, the decision was made before TC was allowed to join.

I'm not debating, just telling you what I heard. I can't confirm Sherels was there, but it was reported the players invited him to the "players only" meeting so I assume he attended. As reported, the decision was made before TC was allowed to join.

The article I linked said Sherels was there so you're not really breaking news with that. They also didn't classify it as a "players only" meeting because it clearly was not one. It's a failure of leadership by the coaching staff and Claeys is the leader of them They had a chance to take control and they didn't. The rest is history.

The article I linked said Sherels was there so you're not really breaking news with that. They also didn't classify it as a "players only" meeting because it clearly was not one. It's a failure of leadership by the coaching staff and Claeys is the leader of them They had a chance to take control and they didn't. The rest is history.

Damn. I was really trying to break news. Just pointing out you initial statement that TC was there was not correct - Sherels was - TC only was after the decision was made. I'm really hoping something in there was breaking news now?

Not going to have a lot of choices if you can Claeys after bowl game. My gut is they don't can Claeys. Season is over and they hope things go quieter and media moves on to other stories. Coyle seems to be patient. Chances of Claeys fired next year, about 90%. Of course if Keach puts up a 56-7 beating that may factor in.

I would at least interview Bob Nielson if that's the case. They will be looking for someone who is going to be a professional and compliment the culture they want.

Brian Murphy has been pushing the Clayes being fired narrative pretty hard.
Murphy is writting for a paper on life support (Pioneer Press). He somehow needs to get attention and clicks.

Firing Claeys would be going overboard (and kill recruiting) just as things are settling down and the bowl game is back on the rails. What's with all these journalism ghouls going after Claeys? The guy is in his first full season, weathered the police investigation of a nightmare situation following the first game and was the least offensive of the three major administration figures in the fallout from the Title IX committee report.

No one got this situation right. Not the players. Not the girl. Not Sherels. Not Claeys, Not the EOAA. Not Coyle. Not Kaler. And certainly not the media. Fire them all?

The DA may be the only one who got it right. May be.

Why would any coach work for Coyle and Kaler? This a very bad job! Also, players will be leaving and there will be no recruits.

Kaler and Coyle failed!

Why would any coach work for Coyle and Kaler? This a very bad job! Also, players will be leaving and there will be no recruits.

Kaler and Coyle failed!

Agree totally. TC was looking for D1 or HC experience and I am sure he felt loyalty to the kids and the program that Kill had started. This administration has been THE problem and Coyle has not shown any leadership, probably because of Kaler under whose leadership we have had scandals in Wrestling, Basketball, and now Football. This will set the program back for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiring Fleck was a great move by Kaler and Coyle. For most Gopher fans it made all this stuff go away.

Top Bottom