Brian Murphy of Pioneer Press: No way Claeys/staff coach Gophers beyond Holiday Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I tend to agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think Claeys is fried at this point.

I don't think a coach with any common sense would want to lead this program at this time. I could be wrong, maybe they'll be able to throw some real money around to try to clean this up.

I honestly think it is going to be Caruso or someone like that. . .

Agreed. Time for the U to pony up the big bucks for an upper tier coach.

Agreed.
I had my doubts about whether Claeys was "big league" before this week. Now I am 100% convinced that he does not have the management or leadership skills to be the Gophers' head coach.

If Claeys is fired, Coyle better have a strong, specific and transparent reason why directly tied to this issue. This puts the U in a potential legal bind, but just a week or two ago, Coyle said he stood by Claeys. Obviously this boycott and the suspensions hadn't happened yet, but the incident itself obviously had and it was known the investigation was ongoing. But Coyle endorsed Claeys with all the incident already part of his "resume" and the investigation ongoing. So Coyle looks really bad as well if he makes a move unless something specific happened in the last few days.

Go Gophers!!

If Richard Pitino could survive the basketball team's scandal, I think Clayes can too.

Sure, the football team might have been involved in a bigger scandal, amplified by the boycott, but the Gophers basketball program is a bigger name nationally than the football team...

ESPN and everyone else will soon forget about this

In the meantime, I hope the program can grow from it too

If Richard Pitino could survive the basketball team's scandal, I think Clayes can too.

Sure, the football team might have been involved in a bigger scandal, amplified by the boycott, but the Gophers basketball program is a bigger name nationally than the football team...

Pitino had a $7MM buyout, Claeys has a $500K buyout.

Go Gophers!!

Richard Pitino had a huge buyout. Tracy Claeys does not.

If Claeys is fired, Coyle better have a strong, specific and transparent reason why directly tied to this issue. This puts the U in a potential legal bind, but just a week or two ago, Coyle said he stood by Claeys. Obviously this boycott and the suspensions hadn't happened yet, but the incident itself obviously had and it was known the investigation was ongoing. But Coyle endorsed Claeys with all the incident already part of his "resume" and the investigation ongoing. So Coyle looks really bad as well if he makes a move unless something specific happened in the last few days.

Go Gophers!!

True and if Claeys, like some of his players, was mainly defending the players not directly involved, it's not a form of "insubordination". Kaler himself just stated that all 10 players would be granted hearings and "due process".

Firing him though would make a lot of people happy, and scapegoats are a time honored system. As are paying off lawsuits..

This take is totally mid-informed.

- Tracy's tweet echoed the sentiments of the alumni and major donors.
- He took the only position a HC can in a situation such as this. Support the players as they wish to have their voices heard, rather than to tell them to STFU.

Kaler and Coyle will appear to be throwing him under the bus if they fire him over this. People will forgive it if they hire a all-star coach and staff. But that probably isn't going to happen. So the firing would solidify their own demise. Anything less than a big -time hire and the important supporters of this program will freak out.

As for Tracy, he could probably make nearly as much money as a coordinator or positions coach somewhere else. And at this point he may be thinking that he'd rather be doing that anyway. If he hadn't supported his players as he did, his personal brand with players would have been damaged (and that IS his brand; he's a players' coach; he certainly isn't a stunning public figure).

Would be a huge mistake. Do that and it will be Brew 2 or worse. Insubordination? How is that? They all know he had to do what he did, not a reason to fire. You fire based on winning and losing. Do you want to see what a Hewitt/Kaler led football program would be? With Coyle all tangled up in his puppet strings?

And we must remember that the basketball players didn't break any laws, and perhaps any rules. All sex was consensual. Only reason the video was released is because the phone was stolen, which was proven by store cameras. They were suspended because of the embarrassment it caused. So violation of team rules, not criminal law or University policy.

Pitino also made it a point this past summer to bring in the right people to speak with these players and provide the correct message. While also getting rid of the one player that was known to be a consistent problem. Not sure how Pitino could be at fault, as he has done all the right things. The only reason to fire Pitino would have been last year's record, which anyone with a clue on the basketball program, knew last year was necessary to move forward.

As for Tracy, he could probably make nearly as much money as a coordinator or positions coach somewhere else. And at this point he may be thinking that he'd rather be doing that anyway. If he hadn't supported his players as he did, his personal brand with players would have been damaged (and that IS his brand; he's a players' coach; he certainly isn't a stunning public figure).

I don't see any team lining up to give Claeys $1.5MM a year after this mess, in large part because of the hits to his personal brand.

Go Gophers!!

So you get fired for expressing your belief's? Coyle is the one who lied and who virtually sat on his hands since September 2. Maybe he should have spent more time communicating with the players versus partying in the Viking suite.

This take is totally mid-informed.

- Tracy's tweet echoed the sentiments of the alumni and major donors.
- He took the only position a HC can in a situation such as this. Support the players as they wish to have their voices heard, rather than to tell them to STFU.

Kaler and Coyle will appear to be throwing him under the bus if they fire him over this. People will forgive it if they hire a all-star coach and staff. But that probably isn't going to happen. So the firing would solidify their own demise. Anything less than a big -time hire and the important supporters of this program will freak out.

100%

Maybe he should have spent more time communicating with the players versus partying in the Viking suite.

The players have medical treatment, meetings and practice on Sundays while the Vikings games are going on. I don't think the Gopher coaches would appreciate the AD interrupting all that.

LOL
Cleays stays I think. At least 1 more year because coaching search right now would be a nightmare. See how next year goes and take it from there.
Gophers football won't be able to recruit as high because of the terrible way admin handled this, I have a feeling EOAA has members who are happy about that.

So you get fired for expressing your belief's? Coyle is the one who lied and who virtually sat on his hands since September 2. Maybe he should have spent more time communicating with the players versus partying in the Viking suite.

I don't understand your beef with Coyle. From my understanding neither he nor any other university official was allow to comment on this investigation other than to say it was happening. He can still say very little.

The only thing I could think of was ask that the investigation be completed sooner, but I really doubt that was an option

Yeah, I think Claeys is fried at this point.

I don't think a coach with any common sense would want to lead this program at this time. I could be wrong, maybe they'll be able to throw some real money around to try to clean this up.

I honestly think it is going to be Caruso or someone like that. . .

Completely agree. There is not way that can keep him after what has taken place (the recruit involved) and I can't see who of any substance, would come here.

The current buyout for Claeys and the assistant coaches is over 3 million. Next year it'll be 250k. He'll be back, then let go after next season.

Pitino and Claeys can't be properly compared in this instance because Pitino never behaved in a publicly insubordinate manner toward the U of M and its administration. I'm willing to accept that Claeys wanted to back his protesting, as opposed to punished, players and see the benefit of doing so. However the guy either lacks the sophistication to understand that his tweet had a tone and words most employers would find unacceptable in such a situation or, worse, he understood and still thought it was a good idea to send that tweet out. Even if he isn't axed, Tracy Claeys could end up paying some sort of price for this.

I don't think he is fired, I don't really think he should be either. If anything, the team may just rally around him after this situation. One advantage they'd have though if they did want to make a change is that there are at least 2 really big name coaches out there that could probably be had if they want to pony up the dollars (Les Miles & P.J. Fleck).

Pitino and Claeys can't be properly compared in this instance because Pitino never behaved in a publicly insubordinate manner toward the U of M and its administration.

This has been resolved. If Kaler and Coyle express any contentment with the resolution it is impossible to accuse Clayeys of insubordination.

I don't understand your beef with Coyle. From my understanding neither he nor any other university official was allow to comment on this investigation other than to say it was happening. He can still say very little.

The only thing I could think of was ask that the investigation be completed sooner, but I really doubt that was an option

How about for publicly putting out players names based on a committee's recommendation before they have had their hearings to decide what, if any actions will actually be taken. Thus ruining the reputations of especially the five players that had not previously been mentioned, some of who apparently had no direct involvement in the situation. And for the apparent lie that Claeys was involved with and on board with the suspensions.

The issue is that the donors and alums for the most part support Claeys. Problem is that some of them were campaigning for the AD job and that's a bit of a conflict of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom