Washington Post: Minnesota football players have chosen the wrong issue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Washington Post:

All sexual assault claims are difficult, and those involving alcohol and athletes can be especially charged and fraught with dispute. The Gophers’ statements offer no recognition of this terrible complexity , and that is what makes their boycott disappointing, and even objectionable. They don’t recognize that women on campuses face an epidemic of sexual crime, and that both law enforcement and well-intentioned administrators are grappling for balance and answers in dealing with both false and true accusations. No recognition that there might be an argument for campuses to adjudicate student sexual conduct outside of the criminal justice system. No recognition that a misunderstanding could well have occurred between accuser and accused. No recognition, in fact, that women even exist on their campus. It’s a strange silence. And not one that inclines you to take their side and congratulate them for taking such a strong stand.

There are a million good social justice causes over which a major college football team could boycott. This isn’t one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...054287507db_story.html?utm_term=.f209f4b8c290

Go Gophers!!

I think the problem is that folks think they're supporting an issue.

They're supporting their teammates, and to understand / evaluate that, you have to know what happened.

The Washington Post thinks everyone is always supporting a cause. The football players are merely seeking justice, they are not being ideologues.

It continues to amaze me how supposed liberals can defend a fundamentally unjust system in a blind quest for supposed justice. Nobody is saying rape or actual assault is ok. But requiring no evidence other than testimony, requiring the accused to prove their innocence, using standards and definitions that are far outside the mainstream, and not following accepted standards for allowing legal defense, cross examination, etc is a terrible system

then perhaps it’s best if you don’t engage in sex with an inebriated woman whose recall and consent may be compromised.

This continues to be my biggest problem in all this. There's a good chance not all 10 were involved in the sexual act. Yet people keep acting like they were.

The Washington Post thinks everyone is always supporting a cause. The football players are merely seeking justice, they are not being ideologues.
+1

The injustice is coming from the EOAA. There is so many better ways to address this issue.
Yes, the football team is standing against an injustice, whether perceived or real.

It continues to amaze me how supposed liberals can defend a fundamentally unjust system in a blind quest for supposed justice. Nobody is saying rape or actual assault is ok. But requiring no evidence other than testimony, requiring the accused to prove their innocence, using standards and definitions that are far outside the mainstream, and not following accepted standards for allowing legal defense, cross examination, etc is a terrible system

This! Exactly this!

This continues to be my biggest problem in all this. There's a good chance not all 10 were involved in the sexual act. Yet people keep acting like they were.

Wrong. Most people people in GopherHole are acting like none of the players did anything wrong. They want us to believe all 10 of the players are victims and the girl willing subjected herself to 90 minutes of sex with all comers. You need to start reading the threads from beginning to end.

per the Washington Post:

All sexual assault claims are difficult, and those involving alcohol and athletes can be especially charged and fraught with dispute. The Gophers’ statements offer no recognition of this terrible complexity , and that is what makes their boycott disappointing, and even objectionable. They don’t recognize that women on campuses face an epidemic of sexual crime, and that both law enforcement and well-intentioned administrators are grappling for balance and answers in dealing with both false and true accusations. No recognition that there might be an argument for campuses to adjudicate student sexual conduct outside of the criminal justice system. No recognition that a misunderstanding could well have occurred between accuser and accused. No recognition, in fact, that women even exist on their campus. It’s a strange silence. And not one that inclines you to take their side and congratulate them for taking such a strong stand.

There are a million good social justice causes over which a major college football team could boycott. This isn’t one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...054287507db_story.html?utm_term=.f209f4b8c290

Go Gophers!!

These players are doing what society does all too often these days. When you don't like something (regardless of the facts or lack thereof) you organize a boycott or protest.

Wait a minute, which side are liberals supposed to choose here? The Women's Liberation movement or the Black Lives Matter crowd. It's a conundrum.

Wait a minute, which side are liberals supposed to choose here? The Women's Liberation movement or the Black Lives Matter crowd. It's a conundrum.

I think they'll do what most rational people will and not support rapists.

I just went to Target and they were straight up out of good causes to support..... it's the holidays, you take what you can get.

Upnorth......methinks that you are overstating your position by a wee bit! I have indeed read the volumes of comments. "Most", at least to my interpretation, do not believe that "none of the players did anything wrong". The main dissension regards the process, the handling by the administration, the "weak" responses by the Prez and AD. You are entitled to your bias, but let's not overstate the argument.

Upnorth......methinks that you are overstating your position by a wee bit! I have indeed read the volumes of comments. "Most", at least to my interpretation, do not believe that "none of the players did anything wrong". The main dissension regards the process, the handling by the administration, the "weak" responses by the Prez and AD. You are entitled to your bias, but let's not overstate the argument.

Apparently, you weren't on the board yesterday.

per the Washington Post:

Go Gophers!!

280.gif

Wrong. Most people people in GopherHole are acting like none of the players did anything wrong. They want us to believe all 10 of the players are victims and the girl willing subjected herself to 90 minutes of sex with all comers. You need to start reading the threads from beginning to end.

Talking about public perception across the country. Many comments on social media and comments to stories refer to 10 players that raped a girl. I'm not lying, check it out.

You're such a drama queen. You take comments and twist or exaggerate them to fit your agenda.

I think they'll do what most rational people will and not support rapists.

I would hope not, but the things people protest these days sometimes defies logic. And half the time the protests begin before facts on the situation even clear.

Top Bottom