2017 Volleyball

Why are the playing Penn State and Wisconsin on home football Saturdays? I was planning on having both season tickets, but guess I won't bother picking up to volleyball now. I will just get tickets to several game I can go to. Bummer

There's been a football/volleyball double header each of the last two years. The Wisconsin match on homecoming with football starting at 2:30 or 3:00 will be tight for an 8:00 PM start. I find them convenient although dressing for football on the 25th of November and then shedding items for the heat of the PAV is a consideration. And the schedule promises some early September heat and humidity (especially in the upper deck) with matches on Sept. 1st and 2nd.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/0...putting-minnesota-on-the-map-internationally/

Pioneer Press article on Gibbemeyer and other Gophers on the preliminary Team USA roster:

Lauren Gibbemeyer treasures the memory of her athletic idol growing up, even if few outside of volleyball remember the name.

“I feel like anyone that grew up playing volleyball in the state had players on the Gophers volleyball team that they looked up to,” she said. “Mine was Meredith Nelson. I wanted to be like her.”

Nelson was a 6-foot-3 middle blocker from St. Croix Falls, Wis., who starred for the Gophers from 2003-06.

It wasn’t long before Gibbemeyer, a former Cretin-Derham Hall star from St. Paul, transformed into one of those idols herself during an illustrious four-year career with the Gophers. Like Nelson, Gibbemeyer, 28, was an accomplished middle blocker at the U, from 2007-10.

While that Minnesota volleyball pipeline certainly predates Gibbemeyer, she paved the way for players like Tori Dixon, who in turn paved the way for players like Hannah Tapp, Paige Tapp and Sarah Wilhite.

Those five former Gophers were scattered throughout LAX earlier this week gathering last-second items before the U.S. Women’s National Volleyball Team boarded a plane for the preliminary round of the World Grand Prix, which starts Friday in Kunshan, China.

Three packs go on sale July 25 for Gopher point holders and on July 26 to the general public.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/080917aaa.html

More practice pix:

The University of Minnesota volleyball program opened its 2017 campaign on Tuesday, August 8. With the team gathering at 2:30 p.m., the Gophers worked on technique in the first day. Prior to the first official practice, the Gophers had report day, which included meetings with various University of Minnesota personnel, received new gear, took their team photo and finished off the day with dinner at the McCutcheon house. Take a look at the first two days of the season through photos and social media.

The first AVCA Division I poll of the year is out and the ladies are ranked #4, which leads the Big 10.

Nebraska is ranked #5, Penn State is #6, Wisconsin is #7, Michigan is #16, Michigan State is #17, Ohio State is #21 and Purdue is #25.

As usual, the conference is stacked. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Link: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/avca-coaches

Which means we start the season against #11 North Carolina in Madison.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/081017aad.html

Open scrimmage on Aug. 19.

Minnesota Volleyball fans, get to know your 2017 Golden Gophers as the team is set to host an open intrasquad scrimmage, Saturday, August 19 at Maturi Pavilion.

Fans can start entering the pavilion at 1:30 p.m., as warmups begin at 2:30, followed by the open scrimmage approximately at 3 p.m. The scrimmage is free and open to the public.

The Golden Gophers return 11 letter winners from last year's Final Four team. Get a chance to see some of the Gopher newcomers in freshmen Lauren Barnes, Sydney Kleinman, Jasmyn Martin, Sara Nielsen, Stephanie Samedy and Alice Zeimann.

Media day: Molly, Samantha and Alexis.

The public inter squad scrimmage is Saturday.

It was a nice summer, Saturday afternoon so naturally I went inside the PAV to watch some of the Gopher scrimmage. They actually had a small portable air conditioning unit set up and which benefited the fans and maybe the players.

Quick notes:

I caught three sets. Nielsen and of course SSS were the setters for away and home teams. Pittman moved between the teams and made a difference on either side of the net. She also unleashed a wicked overhead, jump serve with serious top spin. Hopefully she'll be able to use that in matches.

Hart got her share of hard swings. However, her serve still seemed inconsistent. Samedy looked good at the net and, I think, consistently played all the rotations for the away side. Jasmyn Martin has some quick hops. My favorite, probably one off, front line was Pittman, Lohman and Seliger-Swenson. Pittman played the right side. Goehner played some libero for the home team starting the match. Anyway, the season begins next Friday in Madison.

http://goheels.com/news/2017/8/19/v...se-of-2017-heels-at-blue-white-scrimmage.aspx

UNC, Minnesota's first opponent, has some notes on the Carolina's open scrimmage. They have a freshman 6'7" setter.

Carolina's most consistent position is in the middle, where the Tar Heels return all three starters from a 2016 season where the Heels ranked sixth in the nation in blocks per set. Fricano, Beth Nordhorn and Sydnye Fields all saw significant action last season, while Katherine Esterley (redshirt freshman) and junior Keimaya Hunter have both made notable progress and true freshman Raleigh Clark rounds out the six-player core..

...Despite the consistency on the attack, Carolina will have brand new faces at setter and on defense. Redshirt freshman Holly Carlton, a 6-foot-7 setter and opposite hitter who spent the summer playing for the U.S. Women's Junior National Team, has grown immensely since her arrival on campus last fall, as expectations are extremely high for the Sterling, Virginia, native.

"She played great in the spring," said Sagula. "By the third and the fourth tournaments, she took huge jumps forwards, and my feeling was that she now felt like she belonged. And now I feel like this is a lot of her team. She's established her presence and her determination with this team. Even though she was a redshirt, she has connected well with the veteran leaders of this team, so people very much look up to her—literally (at 6-foot-7) and figuratively," he added with a laugh. "But they do look up to her, because they know her heart is very invested in this program. To see her out there tonight was very rewarding. You're going to see a lot of her this year; she's an essential figure to the program."

I'll say this calmly and with restraint: Stephanie Samedy looked FREAKING AWESOME! today against North Carolina in Madison.

Minnesota swept 16, 7, 20 and Samedy posted14 kills, 12 digs and an ace (if the game stat tracker is right). The Btn2go broadcast only had the arena announcer sound so things were a little difficult to follow.

The Gophers ran a lot of their offense through the right side with Samedy and sometimes Pittman. It was pretty much the expected lineup with Jasmyn Martin and Lauren Barnes getting time along with Hart, Pittman, Samedy, Selinger-Swenson, Lohman, and Goehner.

The Gophers dominated the first two sets, making North Carolina look slow. In the third set, UNC was much better. Minnesota made up a deficit late to closed it out. Pretty much what you'd want in the season's first match.

The ladies really dominated North Carolina today.

Samedy is a freakish-level athlete. She did a little bit of everything, especially in the first two sets. Watching her play for four years is going to be a joy.

With that said, there is really no lack of talent anywhere. First match of the season with a bunch of newcomers in different spots and they took down the ACC favorite quite handily.

I know it's only the season-opener, but hard not to be excited about how they performed today.

Hopefully we'll see more of the same tomorrow against Louisville.

Tomorrow night's Gopher opponent, Louisville, was swept by the #7 Badgers 25-18, 25-19 and 26-24.

In other scores of note: #5 Nebraska lost in Eugene to #18 Oregon 20-25, 21-25, 26-24 and 23-25.

Minnesota took a hard fought four set match from Louisville; 20-25, 25-18, 25-18, 25-20. Louisville started the first set with 8 straight points and the Gophers could only get within two before the Cardinals closed it out. Goehner started at libero in the first set. Rosado switch back to libero for the remainder of the match.

Louisville really scrambled and they, at times, took advantage of some gaps in the Gopher back row. Minnesota controlled the second and third set; but Louisville battled hard during the middle of the final set. There was a run of about 20 points where the teams were either tied or separated by a point.

Samedy posted 17 kills and 15 digs.

Minnesota took a hard fought four set match from Louisville; 20-25, 25-18, 25-18, 25-20. Louisville started the first set with 8 straight points and the Gophers could only get within two before the Cardinals closed it out. Goehner started at libero in the first set. Rosado switch back to libero for the remainder of the match.

Louisville really scrambled and they, at times, took advantage of some gaps in the Gopher back row. Minnesota controlled the second and third set; but Louisville battled hard during the middle of the final set. There was a run of about 20 points where the teams were either tied or separated by a point.

Samedy posted 17 kills and 15 digs.
Some weird happenings in set one. First was starting Goehner at libero. Then, later in the set with the ladies trailing by one, Nielsen came in to serve for Seliger-Swenson, which was also strange.

Played much better once they moved Rosado back to her normal spot and let Goehner play beside her.

Thought Barnes was very good today. Made some really good defensive plays, especially in the second and third sets. Pittman is a load in the middle and Samedy has superstar written all over her.

Hart was either ice cold or red hot. Hopefully, she can find some consistency in the coming weeks.

Still, I'll take 2-0 to start the year. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

In other scores of note:

The #7 Badgers took out #11 North Carolina in straight sets. For Wisconsin, setter, Sidney Hilley, had an excellent start to her college career as did middle blocker Dana Rettke.

In Gainesville, #5 Nebraska suffered their second loss of the weekend losing a five setter to #12 Florida. I mentioned the Huskers loss to Oregon last night-despite what I wrote it was in the Gainesville tournament.

In other scores of note:

The #7 Badgers took out #11 North Carolina in straight sets. For Wisconsin, setter, Sidney Hilley, had an excellent start to her college career as did middle blocker Dana Rettke.

In Gainesville, #5 Nebraska suffered their second loss of the weekend losing a five setter to #12 Florida. I mentioned the Huskers loss to Oregon last night-despite what I wrote it was in the Gainesville tournament.

Huskers played all weekend without their starting setter.

Huskers played all weekend without their starting setter.

Hunter was out? Yikes.

Understandable that they lost those two matches. Really tough to win against top-notch competition when you have to change setters on the fly.

Minnesota's Friday night opponent in the Diet Coke Classic, West Virginia, lost to Penn State in Morgantown last weekend (-16, -15, -5). In the third set Penn State ran off 18 straight points to lead 21-2.

Sophomore Erin Slinde from Rosemount shared setting responsibilities for the Mountaineers. West Virginia is 2-1 having also defeated Delaware (3-1) and UT Martin (3-0).

Minnesota's Friday night opponent in the Diet Coke Classic, West Virginia, lost to Penn State in Morgantown last weekend (-16, -15, -5). In the third set Penn State ran off 18 straight points to lead 21-2.

Sophomore Erin Slinde from Rosemount shared setting responsibilities for the Mountaineers. West Virginia is 2-1 having also defeated Delaware (3-1) and UT Martin (3-0).

Thanks, Do you have any scouting report on saturdays opponents UTSA and Tenn?

Thanks, Do you have any scouting report on saturdays opponents UTSA and Tenn?

I've only glanced at Tennessee and UTSA's records. With luck, I'll get there early enough to catch their Friday match. West Virginia was notable because they played Penn State and have a setter from Rosemount.

Top Bottom