2017 Volleyball

Got my tickets for the weekend. Expecting a great Pav crowd!

Nothing short of the regional final, likely against Florida, should be acceptable for this team. They may not beat Florida, but it should be a great game.

Kentucky will not beat the BYU/Oregon winner. Absolutely terrible over-seeding ... makes me think SEC political clout forced the over-seed on the committee. The SEC is a terrible volleyball conference, save for Florida.

The NCAA owns the TV rights to tournament games, rather than the home/host team (like it would be for a regular season tournament).

And with a, generally speaking, low viewership sport like volleyball, they aren't going to allow these matches on TV until the end, because they don't want to give anyone any reason to stay home rather than buy a ticket to matches. It's just the business of it, not much you can do, other than watch the NCAA stream from a web browser.

If anyone knows if the stream can be accessed by some app on Roku, that would be great. But guessing the best you can do is cast to your TV from some other device.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A little something to help fire up for the 1st round; this was probably the rally of the year.

The NCAA owns the TV rights to tournament games, rather than the home/host team (like it would be for a regular season tournament).

And with a, generally speaking, low viewership sport like volleyball, they aren't going to allow these matches on TV until the end, because they don't want to give anyone any reason to stay home rather than buy a ticket to matches. It's just the business of it, not much you can do, other than watch the NCAA stream from a web browser.

If anyone knows if the stream can be accessed by some app on Roku, that would be great. But guessing the best you can do is cast to your TV from some other device.

I remember that last year’s matches were all streamed on ESPN3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember that last year’s matches were all streamed on ESPN3.

That is great! Then it actually is something close to regular TV ... you can't tune it in with cable/sat, but you can stream it with a Roku/AppleTV/etc using the ESPN app.

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/volleyball-women/d1/broadcast-info

They are beginning to list some network broadcast info (ESPN3, SEC, Pac12, Longhorn networks, etc). Nothing yet for the B1G hosts.

There is some B1G info: the Huskers.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_91cbc58f-b4ad-5113-9494-ea859cd2bfa7.html

NET and the Nebraska athletic department announced Wednesday that the Huskers' NCAA volleyball tournament first-round match on Friday at 7 p.m. against Stony Brook will be televised statewide on NET. If the Huskers advance to Saturday's 7 p.m. second-round match against Washington State or Florida State, that match will also be televised live on NET.

The NET broadcasts will also be streamed online at BTN2GO.com if your cable provider includes the Big Ten Network. All matches this weekend will have a free live video stream at Huskers.com, as well.

http://www.startribune.com/after-co...lly-digs-what-she-does-for-gophers/460905033/

Reusse: Dalianliz Rosado and her family:

What happened last week was the entire family was able to assemble for the first time to watch Dalianliz play volleyball for the Gophers. The family had been here in smaller groups previously during her four-year career...

...Rosado first came to Minnesota as a 15-year-old for a summer camp. The obvious connection is that Daly Santana, from Corozal, Puerto Rico, and not far from Morovis, was two years ahead of Dalianliz. Santana became a Gopher in 2012 and was an All-America hitter as a senior in 2015.

"I didn't know Daly was interested in Minnesota when I came here for camp,'' Rosado said. "When we were young, Daly and I played against each other. I didn't like her then.''

That changed when they were united with the Gophers.

"I was very happy to have Daly here when I was a freshman,'' she said. "My English was terrible. She saved me.'

Saturday's game changed to 8PM. If the Gophers are in it, it's live on BTN.

Saturday's game changed to 8PM. If the Gophers are in it, it's live on BTN.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/112917aaa.html

Because of Wisconsin/Minnesota hockey I was much happier with volleyball at 6:00 PM.

FOLLOW THE GOPHERS
First Round matches in the Minneapolis First will be streamed on BTN Plus, free of charge. The matches will also feature a game day live page on gophersports.com, for in-game updates and stats.

TIME CHANGE FOR SECOND ROUND
The NCAA has changed the start time of Saturday's match to 8:00 p.m. Depending on the results from Friday, the Big Ten Network has the option to televise the match (first serve will be 8:05 if on BTN)

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/112917aaa.html

Because of Wisconsin/Minnesota hockey I was much happier with volleyball at 6:00 PM.

FOLLOW THE GOPHERS
First Round matches in the Minneapolis First will be streamed on BTN Plus, free of charge. The matches will also feature a game day live page on gophersports.com, for in-game updates and stats.

TIME CHANGE FOR SECOND ROUND
The NCAA has changed the start time of Saturday's match to 8:00 p.m. Depending on the results from Friday, the Big Ten Network has the option to televise the match (first serve will be 8:05 if on BTN)

Have my doubts that Friday's game on the Roku BTN app is going to work for free. For thall the BTN Plus bull___, you usually have to sign in with a separate account, since you have to pay extra on top of your cable subscription for BTN Plus games (such BS).

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/3...yball-is-young-inexperienced-and-really-good/

Pioneer Press:

There wasn’t much evidence to suggest one way or the other. The Gophers appeared in each of the past two Final Fours but graduated the likes of Hannah Tapp, Paige Tapp, Sarah Wilhite and Katie Schau, who did much of the heavy lifting for last year’s team.

There were a few quality returning pieces, no doubt, but McCutcheon was going to lean heavily on underclassmen this season, and there’s never any guarantee of how that’s going to work out. This season, for Minnesota, it’s gone swimmingly...

...The Gophers have a slew of talented veteran players. Sophomore outside hitter Alexis Hart and junior setter Seliger-Swenson were All-Big Ten selections. Senior middle blocker Molly Lohman, senior outside hitter Alyssa Goehner and senior libero Dalianliz Rosado have played critical roles, as well.

But no top team has relied on freshmen as much as Minnesota. Gophers freshmen have combined to play 440 sets this season, easily the most among the top eight seeds in the NCAA tournament. For reference, top-seeded Penn State’s freshmen class has combined to play nine sets.

Purdue lost the first set to High Point 21-25 but came back to win the next three, 25-14, 25-22, 25-12. They were down 19-22 in the 3rd before taking the last 6 points. Likely will play #11 Utah tomorrow.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/3...yball-is-young-inexperienced-and-really-good/

Pioneer Press:

There wasn’t much evidence to suggest one way or the other. The Gophers appeared in each of the past two Final Fours but graduated the likes of Hannah Tapp, Paige Tapp, Sarah Wilhite and Katie Schau, who did much of the heavy lifting for last year’s team.

There were a few quality returning pieces, no doubt, but McCutcheon was going to lean heavily on underclassmen this season, and there’s never any guarantee of how that’s going to work out. This season, for Minnesota, it’s gone swimmingly...

...The Gophers have a slew of talented veteran players. Sophomore outside hitter Alexis Hart and junior setter Seliger-Swenson were All-Big Ten selections. Senior middle blocker Molly Lohman, senior outside hitter Alyssa Goehner and senior libero Dalianliz Rosado have played critical roles, as well.

But no top team has relied on freshmen as much as Minnesota. Gophers freshmen have combined to play 440 sets this season, easily the most among the top eight seeds in the NCAA tournament. For reference, top-seeded Penn State’s freshmen class has combined to play nine sets.

We all knew the team would be very young this year and for the most part, they've been very impressive. Although there have been times where they have fallen short of our admittedly extremely high expectations, the program isn't going anywhere in terms of remaining amongst the nation's best. When you factor in what returns next year and what is coming in not only next year, but over the next few, this program is going to be a contender for quite a while into the future.

We all knew the team would be very young this year and for the most part, they've been very impressive. Although there have been times where they have fallen short of our admittedly extremely high expectations, the program isn't going anywhere in terms of remaining amongst the nation's best. When you factor in what returns next year and what is coming in not only next year, but over the next few, this program is going to be a contender for quite a while into the future.

I mean it basically seems like if you can add one or two AVCA first team all-americans every year, supplemented with a few others, there should be no way that you fall out of the top 8 every season ... right?

IE, there really are only so many really elite high school girls every year, and the top several programs should suck them all up every time.

It was a fairly quick sweep for the Gophers (-20, -15, -21) which finished in time for us to catch the last period of Badger/Gopher hockey. It wasn't the cleanest outing. Hugh got annoyed early in the third set after some Gopher sloppiness. North Dakota out blocked the Gophers 9-4 and our back row attack seems to have disappeared.

McLean got the start and delivered 13 kills (.355). Lohman came through with 9 kills and 3 important service aces.

I caught Northern Iowa's sweep of Louisville. NIU's defense just took away the Cardinals cross court shots. Samedy and Hart will need to ramp it up tomorrow and apply some heat with some variety. NIU certainly demonstrated how they defeated Nebraska early in the season. There was a nice turnout for the Panthers- the PAV will be loud on Saturday night.

It sure was a dead atmosphere last night compared to the Penn State match. That was electric.
McLean was great the last two matches. I wondered all year why she had not played.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...cle_365a5efa-07bb-581c-b1ca-4384dce2dacd.html

A recap of UNI's victory over Louisville:

The Panthers flipped momentum in set one with a 9-1 go-ahead run to get to set point at 24-19. Thomas, who landed eight kills in the opener, also used her athleticism during the run with a left-handed attack on a mistimed jump that induced a free ball teammate Bri Weber put away.

Taylor then commanded set two with nine kills and a jump serve ace on set point during a frame in which UNI held Louisville (24-7) to negative hitting with eight kills and nine attack errors.

A Louisville team that owned a 6-1 record in five set matches appeared poised to extend this contest after building a 24-22 lead in set three. UNI, however, wouldn't allow it.

The Panthers fought off three set points. Taylor's 17th kill got UNI to match point, and Moriah Johnson and Heather Hook joined forces for a block to convert the first sweep opportunity...

...Both Thomas and Taylor credited the work of their back row defense along with senior setter Heather Hook, who finished with 38 assists, as keys to advancing in this year's tournament.

"I think Heather put a lot of balls up in really good situations," Taylor said. "What motivates me is the great defense we were playing. We were getting crazy good ups and I feel like, 'OK, I've got to put the ball away now.' You can't just waste that really good up.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/12/...ch-for-new-permanent-head-coach-underway.aspx

The off season starts before the off season: Sherry Dunbar out at Indiana.

Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass announced today that he did not renew Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan's contract as head coach of the Indiana University volleyball program. Dunbar-Kruzan served as head coach for 11 seasons beginning in 2007. A search for Coach Dunbar-Kruzan's successor has begun

Tied with UNI (not NIU, that’s Northern Illinois) 1-1. First set didn’t seem like much problem, but UNI took the second fairly easily. Every time the gals seemed like they were poised to go in a run, UNI would grab a point.

Nice run, finally!

The ref crew for this game are blind mice.

McLean has really played well. Haven’t even seen J Martin at all.

Great run in the 4th set. Looks like they’re pulling away for the win.

We are good enough to survive these slow starts in the earlier rounds but will need to start quick starting in the sweet 16. Go Gophers !

Got there for the last set and a half after hockey. It's a much easier game when you can block. Minnesota out blocked UNI 11-1. It was good to see the middles get quite a bit of action tonight-Lohman with 11 kills and Pittman with 14. The Gophers continued their aggressive low serving; but today it produced service errors and only one ace. Off to Florida and another shot at the final four.

Six B1G teams are in the final 16. Five seeded teams lost. Three of those loses were to B1G teams.

The seeded teams; Survivors and losers.

1. Penn State
2. Florida
3. Stanford
4. Kentucky
5. Nebraska
6. Texas
7. Minnesota
8. Washington lost to ILLINOIS
9. Creighton lost to MICHIGAN STATE

10. Southern Cal
11. Utah