Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 2017 Volleyball

1. Default

There was something for everyone in the Gophers sweep of Purdue, -17, -21, -23.

Minnesota dominated the first set offensively and defensively. Purdue, appeared to be waiting for a 7 PM start. Minnesota took advantage by digging almost everything.

The Boilers recovered some in the second set but still were troubled by the Gophers balanced attack and cross court shots. After the break, Purdue charged out to a big, I think 7 point lead only to see the Gophers get it tied. The Purdue opened a 21-17 lead before Minnesota rallied to win. (The Taylor for Seliger-Swenson swap actually worked for an important scoring run).

Samedy had 13 kills, Hart, 11; Loman, 7; Pittman, 7; and Martin 5 (she did have 4 hitting errors).

Cool shot of the night was Seliger-Swenson's one handed behind the head flip over the net and down for a point in the second set.

Fun pass of the night? (I'll have to look at the replay to confirm). I think it was Rosado who's reception went off Loman's butt and then back to Rosado who knocked it over the net starting a rally which the Gophers won.

2. Default

http://journalstar.com/sports/husker...9f8317859.html

And then there were none; Nebraska, the last undefeated B1G team, lost in Madison. The Husker's tried to reprise their five set come from behind victory over the Badger's in Lincoln; but Wisconsin overcame some fourth set shakiness to prevail.

The Nebraska volleyball team had its undefeated start to the Big Ten Conference season come to an end with a four-set loss against No. 11 Wisconsin on Wednesday in Madison, Wisconsin.

NU could never recover from a disastrous first two sets as its seven-match winning streak come to an end.

Fourth-ranked Nebraska (13-4, 6-1 Big Ten) now drops back to the pack in the Big Ten standings and joins Penn State and Michigan State as teams with just one loss in league play.

Sophomore outside hitter Madison Duello had 13 kills, and 6-foot-8 freshman middle blocker Dana Rettke added 12 kills with a .500 hitting percentage to lead the Badgers to a 25-16, 25-15, 17-25, 25-23 victory to end a three-match losing streak.

3. Default

Winning a wild third set helped #2 Penn State (6-1) defeat #10 Michigan State (5-2) in Happy Valley 25-17, 15-25, 30-28, 25-18.

Penn State and Nebraska are now 6-1.

Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue and Illinois are 5-2.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Winning a wild third set helped #2 Penn State (6-1) defeat #10 Michigan State (5-2) in Happy Valley 25-17, 15-25, 30-28, 25-18.

Penn State and Nebraska are now 6-1.

Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue and Illinois are 5-2.
    Love all the parity this year. We are so young that I am hoping that translates into us playing loose all the way.

5. Default

On Friday, Rutgers snapped a 9 match streak in the Big Ten of not winning a set. They lost to Michigan 3-1. Their losing streak in the Big Ten is up to 39 straight matches after losing to Michigan State on Saturday. They are 1-67 in conference matches since joining the Big Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by overpass View Post
    On Friday, Rutgers snapped a 9 match streak in the Big Ten of not winning a set. They lost to Michigan 3-1. Their losing streak in the Big Ten is up to 39 straight matches after losing to Michigan State on Saturday. They are 1-67 in conference matches since joining the Big Ten.
    But we got NYC tv sets...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    But we got NYC tv sets...
    And New York players....okay, in volleyball not so much. However, the Penn State/Rutgers trip is obviously less stressful than the old Penn State/Ohio State trip.

Did I just hear this right during the broadcast? Out of 86 meetings in volleyball, Iowa has only won 11 times?! Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post
    Did I just hear this right during the broadcast? Out of 86 meetings in volleyball, Iowa has only won 11 times?! Damn.
    Yep, you heard right. Although now, the official record is 76-11 after today's match.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Yep, you heard right. Although now, the official record is 76-11 after today's match.

That's a pretty insane win rate.

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post
    That's a pretty insane win rate.
    Yeah, it's quite incredible. I think I heard that at one point, the Gophers had won something like 40 in a row or something bizarre like that. Either that, or they hadn't lost to the Hawkeyes in like 20 years.

Anyway, it was something mind-boggling along those lines.

12. Default

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi...015%202017.pdf

NCAA RPI through 15 October: the Gophers moved to second; Florida after losing to Kentucky dropped to third.

Top Ten:

1 Penn State
    2. Minnesota
    3. Florida
    4. Texas
    5. Kentucky
    6. Nebraska
    7. Stanford
    8. Wisconsin
    9. Oregon
    10. Utah

Other B1G teams in top 25:

14. Purdue
    18. Michigan State
    19. Illinois

Minnesota's Wednesday opponent, Ohio State, is 29

13. Default

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-volle...101617aab.html

Illinois’ Megan Cooney, Minnesota’s Alexis Hart and Samantha Seliger-Swenson, Penn State’s Kendall White and Wisconsin’s Dana Rettke earn weekly honors:

Player of the Week
    Alexis Hart, Minnesota

OH – So. – Kansas City, Mo. – Truman
    • Averaged 4.5 kills and 1.2 digs per set with a .367 hitting percentage to help No. 6 Minnesota defeat No. 16 Purdue and Iowa on the weekend
    • Put down 11 kills on a hitting clip of .308, while adding two digs and two aces in the Gophers’ straight-set win over No. 16 Purdue
    • Posted a career-high 16 kills, while adding five digs and four blocks to hit .412 against Iowa
    • Earns her first career Player of the Week award
    • Last Minnesota Player of the Week: Stephanie Samedy (Aug. 28, 2017)

Setter of the Week
    Samantha Seliger-Swenson
    , Minnesota
    S – Jr. – Minnetonka, Minn. – Hopkins
    • Posted 75 set assists to average 12.5 per set in guiding No. 6 Minnesota to wins over No. 16 Purdue and Iowa
    • Registered a double-double with 36 assists and 15 digs to help the Gophers hit .298 in their straight-set victory over No. 16 Purdue
    • Added 39 assists, 10 digs and a pair of aces for her second double-double of the weekend in the Gophers’ 3-0 win over Iowa
    • Receives her 10th career Setter of the Week citation and fourth of the season
    • Last Minnesota Setter of the Week: Samantha Seliger-Swenson (Oct. 9, 2017)