Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
Results 496 to 504 of 504

Thread: 2017 Volleyball

  1. #496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher68 View Post
    Not true. I stated that because of the rotational rules, there needs to be two middle blockers. At least, that's what I tried to say. Let me try again. When M1 is in the front row M2 is on the bench replaced by the libero. So, M1 is in the front for three rotations. When the libero is supposed to rotate to the front row, she is replaced by M2. M1 can not just return to the front row instead of the libero. Each player must remain in the same rotational position for the entire set. In your scenario, M1 would be in two different rotational positions. Her original rotation position as M1 and the rotation position for M2. That is contrary to the rules of the game. I hope I explained it better this time.
    Yes, it's very clear this time. Though I still question why the MB that starts the set at position 3 can't directly substitute for the libero that started the set at position 6, between the second and third rotation.

    Isn't that exactly what happens with the libero that started at 6, who then directly substitutes for the MB that started at 3 and rotated into the back zone?

    Is that not the exact point of having substitutions?


    PS - I hope my posts aren't coming off disrespectful. I'm a bit frustrated with the complexity of the rules for this game, which seem to provide absolutely no apparent benefit to the game itself or to the spectators of the game. Again ... similar to how the scoring system was changed in the past ...
    Last edited by MnplsGopher; 12-18-2017 at 02:45 PM.


  2. Default

    X

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Yes, it's very clear this time. Though I still question why the MB that starts the set at position 3 can't directly substitute for the libero that started the set at position 6, between the second and third rotation.

    Isn't that exactly what happens with the libero that started at 6, who then directly substitutes for the MB that started at 3 and rotated into the back zone?

    Is that not the exact point of having substitutions?


    PS - I hope my posts aren't coming off disrespectful. I'm a bit frustrated with the complexity of the rules for this game, which seem to provide absolutely no apparent benefit to the game itself or to the spectators of the game. Again ... similar to how the scoring system was changed in the past ...
    No problem. I am by no means an expert on the rules. They are very precise and it takes a while to even get some of the basics figured out.

    As you have pointed out regarding the evolution of the game, the libero position was added not too long ago. When the libero position was originally created, the libero was not allowed to serve. Still, there are some special considerations for the libero position. The libero substitution is not counted against the number of allowed substitutions in a set - essentially a 'free' sub. And as before, you are very close to correct on the libero's rotations. When the libero rotates to the front, she can not immediately return to the back right position. Otherwise, she would have two turns at serving in a single round of rotations. So, she sits out until the middle blocker's service has been sided out. Then, the libero can replace the middle at the back right position.

  4. #499

    Default

    So essentially, the correct understanding and answer to all my questions/challenges can simply be summed up as: the rules do not allow such a thing as a direct substitution, from one position to another.

    That seems to be what it boils down to.


    Again, that does not seem to provide a single benefit to the game itself or the spectators of the game. It seems to me that all it ultimately does it force superior players to leave the court for a rally (or even worse, until serve changes side??), before coming right back on to the position that they're specialized to excel at.

    That's just stupid, to me.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Replacing Paige Tapp was always going to be difficult for this season. I really felt like Molly was a little inconsistent at key times during the season. One match, she'd have double-digit blocks and the next she'd completely disappear blocking wise. I think Pittman is going to be fine as a primary middle next year. The key, as you mentioned, is finding a second option.

    I really like Taylor Morgan's athleticism, but I don't know if her size is good enough for a middle. Somebody else brought up Martin moving to the middle since we're going to loaded down with outsides next year. At 6-3, she could probably do it, but it'd be a big adjustment for her I would think. Otherwise, there might be a transfer out there to be had.

    Honestly, the only spot I'm really worried about for next year is middle blocker. McGraw is very good already imo and I'd have no problem playing her alongside Barnes for next season in the back row. If they can sort out things alongside Pittman up front and McGraw can settle in defensively, the team is going to be very good again.
    Thanks for your knowledgeable comments (helps me to understand). I always hesitate to post on here, because I know so little about VB. It seems to me, however, that what's really needed is a player who's 1) very tall, 2) has lighting-quick reflexes, and 3) can not just jump but explode. Obviously such players don't grow on trees. But in my very, very HO, that's what Hugh needs most of all. The best offense is often a great defense.

  6. #501
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    4,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Thanks for your knowledgeable comments (helps me to understand). I always hesitate to post on here, because I know so little about VB. It seems to me, however, that what's really needed is a player who's 1) very tall, 2) has lighting-quick reflexes, and 3) can not just jump but explode. Obviously such players don't grow on trees. But in my very, very HO, that's what Hugh needs most of all. The best offense is often a great defense.
    Agreed. The biggest thing for the second MB is good lateral quickness and an explosive jump. There are other things to it as well (combining on a double and then closing the block), but being able to get in position is, of course, the first factor. Could also see Buford up front as well, although she has seen less time than Morgan. We'll just have to see what transpires next season.

    As an aside, it sure would be nice to have Shea Rubright coming this year instead of next. But, that's life!

    Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Agreed. The biggest thing for the second MB is good lateral quickness and an explosive jump. There are other things to it as well (combining on a double and then closing the block), but being able to get in position is, of course, the first factor. Could also see Buford up front as well, although she has seen less time than Morgan. We'll just have to see what transpires next season.

    As an aside, it sure would be nice to have Shea Rubright coming this year instead of next. But, that's life!

    Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    What I (think I) see is that Gopher teams, like football, MBB, WBB, and Volleyball, get a good number of those explosive players you speak of, but not enough of them. I hope Hugh can keep up the recruiting job in VB. The Gophers need still more and even better players in the future. I find it hard to understand how a place like Nebraska, in the middle of nowhere, can get better VB players than MN. But, as you say, that's life! In the end, it must all boil down to recruiting skills. :-)

  8. #503
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    4,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    What I (think I) see is that Gopher teams, like football, MBB, WBB, and Volleyball, get a good number of those explosive players you speak of, but not enough of them. I hope Hugh can keep up the recruiting job in VB. The Gophers need still more and even better players in the future. I find it hard to understand how a place like Nebraska, in the middle of nowhere, can get better VB players than MN. But, as you say, that's life! In the end, it must all boil down to recruiting skills. :-)
    Well, we do have Rubright in the pipeline for 2019 as a MB. She's 6-4 and is considered a big timer. Then you have Shaffmaster and Landfair coming in the next year, who are almost certainly top 10 (if not top 5) recruits for 2020. Put those three in amongst the top level recruits we've already brought in the last few years and any program, including the aforementioned Cornhuskers, would be highly impressed. Trust me, there isn't any lack of big time recruits either interested or already committed to the program. The only question, at least in my eyes, if all that talent will eventually lead to a possible national title.

    Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Well, we do have Rubright in the pipeline for 2019 as a MB. She's 6-4 and is considered a big timer. Then you have Shaffmaster and Landfair coming in the next year, who are almost certainly top 10 (if not top 5) recruits for 2020. Put those three in amongst the top level recruits we've already brought in the last few years and any program, including the aforementioned Cornhuskers, would be highly impressed. Trust me, there isn't any lack of big time recruits either interested or already committed to the program. The only question, at least in my eyes, if all that talent will eventually lead to a possible national title.

    Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the national title is all that really interests me. MN is as deserving of it as anyone else. It's reassuring that Hugh has won big before. I sort of think that when something that big happens for the first time, it may well come unexpected--- a lucky break, a big upset, etc. After that the pressure's off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •