Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 2017 Volleyball

1. Default

I also noticed that MN kept serving to one WI player on the back row to the right side. Was that WI player an especially weak returner?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    If Rettke is so essential to Wisconsin's offense, which she clearly is, why don't they play her all six rotations? That would mean she'd be in for all the important moments when they desperately need kills, as late in set 4. Is Rettke totally lacking in defensive skills?
    When you're in the back row you can only attack from behind the ten foot line. I'm assuming Kelly Sheffield thinks Rettke is not yet Tori Dixon (former Gopher middle blocker) as a six rotation player. However, Rettke does (often) serve. She has a pretty wicked if inconsistent serve; but forcing her to dig while she's in the back row is a good strategy.

Rettke; 34 attempts, 22 kills, 0 errors and a .647 hitting percentage.

That was fun last night. The visiting teams seats are right in back of ours, so I took a picture of the depressed WI fans after the last set. Same look we have yearly after the football game.
    Great plays by both teams.

Not Gophers related, but Northern Illinois beat Kent State in a first set score of 43-41. Wow.

https://volleyballmag.com/ncaa-volleyball-102217/

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    When you're in the back row you can only attack from behind the ten foot line. I'm assuming Kelly Sheffield thinks Rettke is not yet Tori Dixon (former Gopher middle blocker) as a six rotation player. However, Rettke does (often) serve. She has a pretty wicked if inconsistent serve; but forcing her to dig while she's in the back row is a good strategy.

Rettke; 34 attempts, 22 kills, 0 errors and a .647 hitting percentage.
    The Badgers seem to use Rettke in a pretty straightforward way for a middle, which makes total sense on a couple of fronts. First, she's 6-8, so short, quick sets through the middle are almost always going to work. Second, she has just enough lateral quickness to work really well on slides. Playing back-row is a bit more problematic for her due to her height I would think. One thing the Badgers do lack is a true, 6-rotation outside hitter. When their offense is clicking, it almost always seems like it's either Rettke or Williams getting kills, which is fine through the middle. But on the outsides, they're pretty inconsistent with their ability to terminate.

With that said, I love what Rettke brings to the table. The Gophers are a little more balanced in that they can use either Lohman or Pittman in the middle, but also have a true terminator on outside in Hart and a reliable presence on the the right side with Samedy. Factor all that in and it gives SSS plenty of options depending upon what rotation the Gophers are in.

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post
    Not Gophers related, but Northern Illinois beat Kent State in a first set score of 43-41. Wow.

https://volleyballmag.com/ncaa-volleyball-102217/
    Reminds me of the 48-46 set against Georgia Tech in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 in 2004. That was the team that went to the Final Four and beat USC in the semifinals before losing to Stanford in the national championship match.

I also noticed that MN kept serving to one WI player on the back row to the right side. Was that WI player an especially weak returner?
    That's a common strategy. If a team feels one particular player is weak in serve receive, they'll keep going to her and try to wear her out, especially if they can target the player in a specific service rotation. Wisconsin sometimes has problems with passing as a team, which was the case yesterday for portions of the final three sets. But to answer your question, yes, it's a strategy that is often used in volleyball.

8. Default

MRJ summed it up. The Gophers seemed to be picking on Dodge and Bates in particular.

I should have thought about this earlier. The simple answer about Rettke in the back row? Midway through the fourth set Rettke went back to the service line. The Badgers got a point off her first serve. On her second serve, the ball was set to Samedy on the right side who drove it right at Rettke's feet causing her to fall back on butt. Rettke still has a way to go as a backline player. However, I wouldn't bet against her.

9. Default

The perfect way to end the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    MRJ summed it up. The Gophers seemed to be picking on Dodge and Bates in particular.

I should have thought about this earlier. The simple answer about Rettke in the back row? Midway through the fourth set Rettke went back to the service line. The Badgers got a point off her first serve. On her second serve, the ball was set to Samedy on the right side who drove it right at Rettke's feet causing her to fall back on butt. Rettke still has a way to go as a backline player. However, I wouldn't bet against her.
    I noticed that too. I happened to watch the Badgers play Maryland and Sheffield had her in the service rotation at the start of that match before subbing for her after a couple of service errors.

Yesterday he kind of rolled the dice and let her have a go. I agree with you in regards to her backline play; right now, she's much better in a vertical position at the net. At 6-8, it'll take a little time for her to become a reliable back-row presence.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk