Why are people so upset with Kaler and Coyle?

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
First off, this is obviously a horrible situation for all of the impacted parties. It should never have gotten to this point and I don't see how a good resolution can ever come out of it. That being said, I'm failing to understand why everyone is upset with Kaler and Coyle. They are acting on a recommendation from the EOAA director regarding the enforcement of Title IX. Even though it's called a "recommendation," it's essentially an ultimatum to fall in line or we'll sic the federal government on you. Kaler had to choose between two terrible alternatives, and either one was going to piss a lot of people off. I know if I were in his shoes, I'd rather piss off my subordinates and my constituency than the federal government. I don't see what choice he had in the matter. And Coyle, of course, is falling in line because he values his job.

I also support the players and their right to protest this decision. It's just a horrible situation. Again, however, I don't understand why they're angry with Kaler and Coyle. Again, what were the two of them supposed to do? The players should be doing everything in their power to win Kaler and Coyle over to their side, encouraging them to hear things from their perspective and leveraging their power to come to a speedy resolution on the issue. They should be angry at the legislation, angry at the culture that has grown because of it, and angry at the EOAA office using the power of this culture like a cudgel to cower young men into submission and compliance. They definitely have every right to be angry, and I support that feeling. I just feel pretty strongly that their anger is misplaced.

They're in a no win situation as far as how Title IX works, what they can actually communicate, etc.

Agreed. People just need a scapegoat and they're the easiest targets.

I think they are mostly upset about the fact that we can't get any answers to why they were suspended because of privacy reasons, but then they went out and listed all 10 players by name.

Well said, Dpo, this is a tough one for me. There's so much gray area we (the public) don't know about. One thing I know for sure is I'm not in the camp of rushing to judgment on Coyle. Like you said, what is he supposed to do?

First off, this is obviously a horrible situation for all of the impacted parties. It should never have gotten to this point and I don't see how a good resolution can ever come out of it. That being said, I'm failing to understand why everyone is upset with Kaler and Coyle. They are acting on a recommendation from the EOAA director regarding the enforcement of Title IX. Even though it's called a "recommendation," it's essentially an ultimatum to fall in line or we'll sic the federal government on you. Kaler had to choose between two terrible alternatives, and either one was going to piss a lot of people off. I know if I were in his shoes, I'd rather piss off my subordinates and my constituency than the federal government. I don't see what choice he had in the matter. And Coyle, of course, is falling in line because he values his job.

I also support the players and their right to protest this decision. It's just a horrible situation. Again, however, I don't understand why they're angry with Kaler and Coyle. Again, what were the two of them supposed to do? The players should be doing everything in their power to win Kaler and Coyle over to their side, encouraging them to hear things from their perspective and leveraging their power to come to a speedy resolution on the issue. They should be angry at the legislation, angry at the culture that has grown because of it, and angry at the EOAA office using the power of this culture like a cudgel to cower young men into submission and compliance. They definitely have every right to be angry, and I support that feeling. I just feel pretty strongly that their anger is misplaced.

Kaler and Coyle have communicated and led very poorly.

Kaler buys into the fake rape crisis and wanted to institute the sex consent forms. The current situation ties into this.

Kaler is ok with the school's extra judicial process. When that process was called into question earlier this year for sexual assault hearings, he or a spokesman said the panel would receive more training, which is a joke because the entire process is flawed.

Kaler is a coward. He allows himself to get pushed around by the fringes.

I think they are mostly upset about the fact that we can't get any answers to why they were suspended because of privacy reasons, but then they went out and listed all 10 players by name.

Agreed,

Nobody knows anything.

They can't tell anyone anything.

It doesn't make for much in the way of confidence building, but they don't have a choice.

I'm not sure if my understanding is correct but this is the way that I view it. The four players should have never been reinstated if the investigation wasn't complete by the university. If it was complete why are they suspending them again now? From the start I believe that Coule, Kaler, and Claeys have had the good majority of the facts. If they want to support four dudes running a train on a drunk girl, regardless of whether she consented or not, that is bull**** given all of the sexual encounters players have had here that have gone public. If all 3 had integrity they would have booted the four off of the team because morally O really don't think that is right even though legally with consent you and your buddies had all have group sex continuously with the same girl which is gross.

Probably because Kaler shares direct complicity and culpability for hiring Teague

It's probably Kaler putting himself on the high horse with the donor letter about football he wrote before announcing the suspensions(The fact that they waited until the bowl bid was secured) and the fact that he hired Noorwood Teague, and largely escaped repercussions for the actions of that subordinate. Even if he wasn't directly responsible for Teagues actions and harassment to U employees Kaler as President was his superior he should have been aware of some of his actions, poor behavior and overall poor representation of University values and ethics. Now he is taking the moral high ground on these suspensions even if obligated by title 9 and the Federal government.
How far does the U and the football program and the AD want this suspension thing to really go. There were underage recruits in the building as reported by players directly involved in being at the situation on 09/03/16. They were unsupervised and under the care of the players, but on the University's dime, for travel here, and on behalf of the football department recruiting budget and staff. Whether they condoned it or not, the University does share in some responsibility for the code of conduct violations as do people in the football department and AD. There are a lot more people that share liability for this situation than just the players, whether they realize it or not.
None of this is going to end well for the players or the University itself. These suspensions should have never been lifted and reinstatement allowed based on the fact that University personnel knew recruits were on premise even if said activity's were not sponsored by the University.

Coyle is an incredibly distant AD. He has no public persona and that is hurting him right now. Kaler? No sports fan likes the university president. Sending notes to boosters was ill advised.

In most instances this type of anger and response is related to communication. Can you honestly say that Kaler and Coyle have done a good job of communication? To the players? To the fans? To the public et al? I bet there are issues with the communications with the regents that we haven't heard about yet too. A lot can be shared about process, reasoning and timelines that don't delve into the private info but that hasn't happened. Before the suspensions were announced they should have had a plan of how to make sure that they (as much as possible) control the narrative, inform the team, protect the brand and credibility of the U and don't possible lose millions of dollars by effing up the bowl game.

I think Kaler and Coyle grossly underestimated the reactions from the players and treated them with a lack of regard. And that was a mistake because in the end, the $100 million plus athletic department is funded by and large by those 85 scholarship players and the University's most public representation week in and week out is those 85 scholarship players and their coaches.

From a business stand point, no matter how this ends, Kaler needs to be fired for failing to understand the size and scope of this before making his announcement. Coyle will go for failing to speak in complete sentences and Claeys will go for having the audacity to support the employees (read players) against management.

Just my opinion.

I honestly believe that had they waited till all the appeals had been exhausted for the players to suspend them, then most of us wouldn't be so angry at Kaler and Coyle. The players and parents are probably mad at Kaler and Coyle because they jumped the gun and suspended the players, yet they have no answers when the players asked. I'm sure privacy issues are there too, but is it so private that the player and his parent(s) aren't even able to get an answer?

This and the press release of listing the the players images by name, and then the leadership taking no responsibility for lack of oversight and handling of this during the football season.

My main issue is making the decision before the bowl game or accepting the bowl bid. It's made the entire situation a lose lose. Kick all ten kids off the team if you want but don't accept a bowl bid before doing so.

You summarized the situation well. Though, I'm not certain it's as simple as "sic the federal government on you." It seems to me that University leadership made a decision to pursue student conduct violations against the players to set a tone and show a university "value" that they will aggressively pursue those they believe are furthering a dangerous culture. I placed value in quotes as they stated in their statement that the decision was made based on "facts and it reflects the values of the university." Frankly, I wish that statement had simply read-"the decision was made consistent with facts and our code of conduct." That would have, in my mind, removed any doubt that they feared backlash from the community should they have made another decision.

The University is limited in what they're able to share in this situation. One argument I've seen batted around is'"would all the players be boycotting if something bad was done by their teammates." I, for one, wonder why we haven't heard more of the facts being talked about or "leaked" to the media by the players (or their representation) if this is clearly and over-reach by Coyle and Kaler.

My major issue with how it was handled was the changing story around who made this decision. It seemed they tried to lump the Coach into it with them when it seems he was not a part of it. That speaks of two highly-compensated leaders who knew what was about to happen from a PR perspective and wanted to "tighten" the ship in a way not consistent with reality.

im not mad at them for suspending the players per se - im furious in the way it was done and the complete lack of transparency and leadership from kaler/coyle

I honestly believe that had they waited till all the appeals had been exhausted for the players to suspend them, then most of us wouldn't be so angry at Kaler and Coyle. The players and parents are probably mad at Kaler and Coyle because they jumped the gun and suspended the players, yet they have no answers when the players asked. I'm sure privacy issues are there too, but is it so private that the player and his parent(s) aren't even able to get an answer?

With the exception of the victim's name, the privacy issue is a red herring. The players who have been suspended have been named and these allegations will follow them around the Internet for the rest of their lives.

It would be nice to know what kinds of programs and policies were put in place by Coyle and the admin after the basketball scandal, that were meant to prevent these incidents from occurring again. In light of recent events it is clear that whatever they put in place didn't work.
A couple years back when I was at the U and the greek system was rocked by a couple of sexual assaults that happened in quick succession, the U was very proactive. They placed the whole system on social probation. They arranged for speakers to address the community. They changed social policies, and implemented a new system of self policing. While no system put in place can be 100% effective, it did send a message that the university was taking the issue seriously.
The question we should all be asking the administration is why did this happen again, and what have they been doing about something that is quite clearly department wide issue. From what we know about the football situation, it wasn't drilled far enough into these kids heads, that this is unacceptable, and this is what gets you in trouble.

In most instances this type of anger and response is related to communication. Can you honestly say that Kaler and Coyle have done a good job of communication? To the players? To the fans? To the public et al? I bet there are issues with the communications with the regents that we haven't heard about yet too. A lot can be shared about process, reasoning and timelines that don't delve into the private info but that hasn't happened. Before the suspensions were announced they should have had a plan of how to make sure that they (as much as possible) control the narrative, inform the team, protect the brand and credibility of the U and don't possible lose millions of dollars by effing up the bowl game.

I think Kaler and Coyle grossly underestimated the reactions from the players and treated them with a lack of regard. And that was a mistake because in the end, the $100 million plus athletic department is funded by and large by those 85 scholarship players and the University's most public representation week in and week out is those 85 scholarship players and their coaches.

From a business stand point, no matter how this ends, Kaler needs to be fired for failing to understand the size and scope of this before making his announcement. Coyle will go for failing to speak in complete sentences and Claeys will go for having the audacity to support the employees (read players) against management.

Just my opinion.

Well said, PhillyGopher. Not enough control of the narrative, lack of oversight of recruiting, and mixed messaged of re-reinstatement of players(making it seem like players were used as puppets even if not true, reeks of ethics violations, winning at athletics above cause and core values) during the season for games. This distribution of this donor letter and the way it was worded is ironic coming from someone who has not held themselves to the same standards for the core values of the University in their own actions and words.

My question is in regards to the suspensions. If Kaler and Coyle knew the University was going to investigate and potentially suggest additional punishment, why did they allow the players to be reinstated?

The EOAA investigation needed to be given a timeline that closely coincided with the police investigation and player should have been suspended until all investigations were finished.

Now it looks like Kaler had no idea how his own university handles these issues and because of this it looks like the University is jacking these kids around.

Go play football guys, the police cleared you. 3 months later, just kidding, some unknown university department wants to kick you out of school. You're suspended again.

My question is in regards to the suspensions. If Kaler and Coyle knew the University was going to investigate and potentially suggest additional punishment, why did they allow the players to be reinstated?

The EOAA investigation needed to be given a timeline that closely coincided with the police investigation and player should have been suspended until all investigations were finished.

Now it looks like Kaler had no idea how his own university handles these issues and because of this it looks like the University is jacking these kids around.

Go play football guys, the police cleared you. 3 months later, just kidding, some unknown university department wants to kick you out of school. You're suspended again.

EXACTLY! I would assume Kaler and Coyle both had the same information in September that they do currently yet reinstated the players. But now the EOAA comes knocking and they suspend the players again to save face. Makes them look incredibly weak.

EXACTLY! I would assume Kaler and Coyle both had the same information in September that they do currently yet reinstated the players. But now the EOAA comes knocking and they suspend the players again to save face. Makes them look incredibly weak.

Bingo, weak leadership and lack of institutional control. I don't condone behavior of players, but there are many adults that used poor professional judgement (reinstatement of players when evidence of code of conduct violations didn't change any time from September until now.) That and the lack of institutional oversight of football recruiting, and management of underage recruits, are going to bite the University in the butt.

Well said, PhillyGopher. Not enough control of the narrative, lack of oversight of recruiting, and mixed messaged of re-reinstatement of players(making it seem like players were used as puppets even if not true, reeks of ethics violations, winning at athletics above cause and core values) during the season for games. This distribution of this donor letter and the way it was worded is ironic coming from someone who has not held themselves to the same standards for the core values of the University in their own actions and words.

I'm on board the narrative issue. The report (which I assume had to be extensively reviewed and legally vetted by various groups) was just a bomb out of the blue. And very quickly, as I've said elsewhere, Coyle and Kaler were backfooted. Subsequently things that should have been part of the initial press release, why now, what's the impact on the bowl game, why weren't parents informed, is everyone on board, expulsions, how did these players get involved, etc. etc; needed further statements.

And then we have Claeys, some coaches and the players apparently splitting with the AD. Virtually nothing appears to be in alignment.

Too Much Speculation centered on the wrong issues.

You summarized the situation well. Though, I'm not certain it's as simple as "sic the federal government on you." It seems to me that University leadership made a decision to pursue student conduct violations against the players to set a tone and show a university "value" that they will aggressively pursue those they believe are furthering a dangerous culture. I placed value in quotes as they stated in their statement that the decision was made based on "facts and it reflects the values of the university." Frankly, I wish that statement had simply read-"the decision was made consistent with facts and our code of conduct." That would have, in my mind, removed any doubt that they feared backlash from the community should they have made another decision.

The University is limited in what they're able to share in this situation. One argument I've seen batted around is'"would all the players be boycotting if something bad was done by their teammates." I, for one, wonder why we haven't heard more of the facts being talked about or "leaked" to the media by the players (or their representation) if this is clearly and over-reach by Coyle and Kaler.

My major issue with how it was handled was the changing story around who made this decision. It seemed they tried to lump the Coach into it with them when it seems he was not a part of it. That speaks of two highly-compensated leaders who knew what was about to happen from a PR perspective and wanted to "tighten" the ship in a way not consistent with reality.[/QUOTE

As touched on above, Kaler and Coyle seem to have had no knowledge this was coming. What should have happened is they should have announced the EoAA (why is opportunity lower case?) was investigating when the players were re-instated.

It would have been so easy to day: "The players are reinstated but we do note that this incident is under investigation by the EoAA and according to university rules, we will follow whatever recommendations they provide."

The fact that they both seem not to know this could happen is a firing offense. Certainly for Kaler, Coyle might be new enough to get the benefit of the doubt.

And the 10 players are all being labeled as rapists across the country.

In my mind the only people that could have stood up for the players were TC, EK, and MC. I would have liked to see MC and EK do so by communicating better before these kids were labeled racists everywhere both with the public and the kids. I get where EK's hands may have been tied, but Coyle was absent, mislead everyone with TC's involvement, has had to backtrack on a few things already, and according to Woli was basically responsible for the boycott based on providing them misleading/inaccurate info. All that is the opposite of standing up for the kids. The admin is the only place that could have forced due process to happen and they created a complete sh*tstorm instead. In my opinion he has been in CYA mode from the start and appears to be a weak leader that has likely lost respect from the other coaches he manages now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://diversity.umn.edu/eoaa/process

Okay, perhaps Kaler didn't know the report was coming; but why were the players suspended without a hearing? Here's the EOAA process:

At the conclusion of a formal investigation, EOAA will prepare a summary and analysis of the investigation and make a conclusion as to whether the Student Conduct Code and University policies against sexual harassment and sexual violence have been violated. EOAA will forward the report to OSCAI. Both the reporting student and the accused student may request a copy of the EOAA report from OSCAI.

As part of the University’s informal resolution process, OSCAI will inform both the reporting party and the accused student about: (1) the outcome of the EOAA investigation; and (2) a proposed resolution. If both parties agree to the outcome and proposed resolution, the University’s investigative process generally is concluded.

If the reporting party or the accused student disagrees with EOAA’s investigative outcome and OSCAI’s proposed resolution they may initiate the University’s formal resolution process. In this formal process, the parties are afforded a hearing before a panel drawn from the Campus Committee on Student Behavior.

Come on DP- of course the players are going to be angry at the top brass who are bungling this whole thing, why wouldn't they? If this was only about 3-4 potentially rappy players cleared to play again, but now being uncleared and kicked out of school, then I'd say the players are way off base. But it is not about that now- it is about these other 5-6 kids who, as far as we know, were not involved in the same way as the previously suspended players. The U and the EOAA are free to have a standard of conduct that would be below the standard of proof in a criminal case- I don't support using that freedom to manufacture a burden of proof outside of what our legal system uses, but they can and do- so why were the players ever cleared then?

The mixed messages are rampant. The leadership is not on the same page, they are not communicating well (partly because they can't partly because they are botching this).

I am extremely confused by the crisis management strategy of Kaler and Coyle, to the point that I question if they are up to the task of their positions. So- I imagine the players are in that line of thinking too.

https://diversity.umn.edu/eoaa/process

Okay, perhaps Kaler didn't know the report was coming; but why were the players suspended without a hearing? Here's the EOAA process:

At the conclusion of a formal investigation, EOAA will prepare a summary and analysis of the investigation and make a conclusion as to whether the Student Conduct Code and University policies against sexual harassment and sexual violence have been violated. EOAA will forward the report to OSCAI. Both the reporting student and the accused student may request a copy of the EOAA report from OSCAI.

As part of the University’s informal resolution process, OSCAI will inform both the reporting party and the accused student about: (1) the outcome of the EOAA investigation; and (2) a proposed resolution. If both parties agree to the outcome and proposed resolution, the University’s investigative process generally is concluded.

If the reporting party or the accused student disagrees with EOAA’s investigative outcome and OSCAI’s proposed resolution they may initiate the University’s formal resolution process. In this formal process, the parties are afforded a hearing before a panel drawn from the Campus Committee on Student Behavior.

This, why initiate the suspensions a third time, releasing the press release and the students names specifically, then hiding behind student privacy issues, without the formal hearing process of the parties affected being afforded a response and appeal to the conduct violation accusations. Why wasn't an actual hearing before a panel drawn from the Campus Committee on Student behavior conducted before this press release bomb and suspension. This handling by the University and the conduct of some of the players has tarnished the University's image nation wide. All are being labeled rapist on twitter and judged to being deviants, and perverts only thinking with their d!cks on twitter, by the court of public opinion, and all of that could have been prevented by the University. Instead they choose to make a huge press release and publish those images after accepting the Holiday bowl bid, that will forever be tied to this story. The U and Kaler and Coyle specifically stepped into the deep end of the pool, without being prepared to deal with the fallout or consequences, and showing lack of institution control of this situation and overall message to the University community.

Top Bottom