How many public athletic department scandals can Kaler survive?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
In the past 16 months we've had the following public scandals within the athletic department:

- Mega Tongue slow rolling. A sexual scandal at the highest part of the athletic department by the AD who was hired by Kaler.

- Gang Bang scandal #1 with the hoops program. This one was available on social media for an hour or so.

- Ugly prescription drug scandal with the wrestling program leading to the firing of one of the longest tenured coaches of any sport in the Big Ten.

- Gang Bang scandal #2 with the football program. What started as 3-4 players receiving suspensions and a rare restraining order at the stadium has led to 5 year long suspensions and 5 expulsions, followed by an entire program boycotting a bowl game.

But yea, the Regents will keep protecting Kaler.

You bring about a good question and I would be supportive of Kaler needing to be fire. However, if leadership is sent packing especially Coyle, it gives the impression that the Coaches and Players are running the asylum. At some point the players do need to wake up and be accountable for their actions. And don't give me the BS that they did nothing illegal.

Basketball problem, Lynch issue, Football issues, Wrestling issue. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward. I would allow and support Coyle cleaning house and Coyle should be given the opportunity to follow through on what he was hired to do. Fire Claeys, Pitino is already on probation I'm sure, and kick to kids that are recommended for expulsion out of school. At some point the school can't hold the hand of those that make poor choices. I'd like to know what Smith did to get let go, but these guys are bringing the whole university down for a bad choice.

Yes it might hurt and our team might not be good through transition, but zero tolerance has to be the mantra going forward. The leadership has set the tone and if that is supported by coaches in coaching, recruiting, discipline, etc. etc. We will be betting off. The reputation of our fine University depends on it.

I think Kaler does a good job and really hasn't had much to do with any of those directly.....

Maybe this will finally fully help the academia at the U to understand that donations comes from reputation and brand and athletics play a huge part in that for large public institutions...and this will impact all aspects of the U's brand. They can blame the athletes and coaches but this is an institutional failure of understanding and brand management and that has to fall on Kaler and Coyle and the regents.

Maybe this will finally fully help the academia at the U to understand that donations comes from reputation and brand and athletics play a huge part in that for large public institutions...and this will impact all aspects of the U's brand. They can blame the athletes and coaches but this is an institutional failure of understanding and brand management and that has to fall on Kaler and Coyle and the regents.

Wishful thinking. Most are probably delighted.

I question Kaler's role in this whole thing. Did her rubber stamp the report and in absentia sign Coyle and Claeys' names without letting them know in advance? It's pretty sketchy and shady in that area.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

In the past 16 months we've had the following public scandals within the athletic department:

- Mega Tongue slow rolling. A sexual scandal at the highest part of the athletic department by the AD who was hired by Kaler.

- Gang Bang scandal #1 with the hoops program. This one was available on social media for an hour or so.

- Ugly prescription drug scandal with the wrestling program leading to the firing of one of the longest tenured coaches of any sport in the Big Ten.

- Gang Bang scandal #2 with the football program. What started as 3-4 players receiving suspensions and a rare restraining order at the stadium has led to 5 year long suspensions and 5 expulsions, followed by an entire program boycotting a bowl game.

But yea, the Regents will keep protecting Kaler.

Let's not forget the Medical School research scandal, too. That might have been worse than any of the Athletic Department scandals.

Let's not forget the Medical School research scandal, too. That might have been worse than any of the Athletic Department scandals.
What did the EOAA do about the medical school scandal? Did they do anything?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom