Based on Claeys' tweet tonight, I don't see how Coyle keeps him

I would support Coyle doubling down and firing Claeys tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before even knowing the facts of the situation?

I assume you would have supported Coyle firing Claeys after the WI game?

normally i would agree with you on admin sticking together, but in this instance you could very well see a team exodus. seniors who have given their whole college careers to this place are ready to walk away from it, what makes you think someone who still has eligibility left wouldn't do the same?

kaler/coyle wouldnt survive destroying a major football program like that, they would be gone.

They're in the heat of the moment, let's see what they think a week from now.

Football skews title IX a great deal with its 85 scholarships

You'd then have to eliminate volleyball, women's Bball and women's hockey, or tons of track and field to satisfy title IX.

At least that is how I understand it.

There is no way you could eliminate football without gutting the women's side.
TCF could be the nation's largest lacrosse field...

I was ready to move on from Claeys before, now i've never been more proud of him and wish
he would stick around. This is what he needed to say and do. These coaches know way more
about what has happened than any of us...and they know what the 'new facts' are and know
it's complete bullshat and are accordingly sticking by their guys. Good on them.

Claeys tweet seems to me like someone trying to save his roster and recruits. It also seems that he is not necessarily aligned with his boss as the players insinuated. Not a good spot to be in...

It also seems that he is pretty damn green when it comes to being the head football coach at a major university.

I get that some people are applauding Claeys for supporting his players in the face of injustice. But I will absolutely hate it if the players are permitted to dictate the actions of the administration (even if the admin is wrong). I hated it when it was done at Mizzou. I thought Pinkel should have been fired on the spot and all the players scholarships yanked if they didn't report to practice immediately. I feel the same way now.

Tracy Claeys is as good as fired. I will be astonished if he is still head coach by this time Monday. That Tweet seemed to both tacitly give a pass to sexual assault and harassment, even if he didn't actually mean it to, and was blatantly insubordinate to Kaler and Coyle. It is one thing to disagree with them in meetings and to voice displeasure in that forum, but it read like a publicly raised middle finger to the suspension decision. This was not the cause to die for and what probably died was not only his Minnesota head coaching career but also his FBS level head coaching career.

If we get rid of our AD, who would step into this mess? Please, no Pete nonsense. If we get rid of our HC, who would step into this mess?

This is a very bad situation. I don't see how Coyle and Claeys can coexist moving forward. My guess is that Claeys' contract won't be extended.

Barring some miracle resolution to this massive mess, we are about to be officially designated a toxic waste dump.

Tracy Claeys is as good as fired. I will be astonished if he is still head coach by this time Monday. That Tweet seemed to both tacitly give a pass to sexual assault and harassment, even if he didn't actually mean it to, and was blatantly insubordinate to Kaler and Coyle. It is one thing to disagree with them in meetings and to voice displeasure in that forum, but it read like a publicly raised middle finger to the suspension decision. This was not the cause to die for and what probably died was not only his Minnesota head coaching career but also his FBS level head coaching career.

He'll still be here. I'm willing to bet on it. This will get resolved, it's too big of a black eye if it doesn't. A compromise will need to be made. If the administration refuses to compromise, then it will be ugly.

He'll still be here. I'm willing to bet on it. This will get resolved, it's too big of a black eye if it doesn't. A compromise will need to be made. If the administration refuses to compromise, then it will be ugly.

I agree, and I don't have a problem with how Claeys has handled all of this.

I think Coyle's plan all along is to not extend anyone and let the assistant coaches contracts expire at the end of next season. Then buy out the last year of Claeys contract unless they have a great year next year. He couldn't justify spending the ~3.5 million to fire all of the coaches after an 8-4 season this year.

Claeys likely knows this which is why he's not afraid to speak out. I would be shocked if he's not here next year, because no one wants to step into this mess right now.

I hope for a peaceful resolution that sees Claeys survive and the team play in the Holiday Bowl but both sides are painted in a corner. I'm sadly expecting the scorched earth option, because there's no way I see the administration rolling back those punishments due to an action like this given the accusations. If that doesn't happen, how far will the players take it and can Claeys really survive enabling the rebellion given his position?

Any career orientated coach would not touch this job with a ten foot pole now.

Great post, this job was already borderline radioactive, and no coach worth anything would ever consider it after noting the way Coyle and Kaler capitulated to the EOAA Social Justice Warrior court, rather than step in, take a breath and show some strong leadership.

The recommended punishments were so extreme and so after the fact that the whole thing just looks awful to anyone on the outside on all levels. The team mutiny looks bad to some people, even though it is the only good thing to come out of this mess. I was so proud to see Duke, Woli and Mitch standing in front, shoulder to shoulder.

This looks bad to recruits and minorities, because it creates the impression the U of M does not treat Black athletes (or any athletes) fairly when the PR is bad and the chips are down.. This also creates a very negative vibe for the average lazy Minnesotan, who did not pay any attention to the actual details, but just saw those 10 minority members on their TV or Newspaper, and then made some dumb comment about how we should just support NSDU from now on.

Believe me some people in Minnesota think this way, especially when we get the whole " we just need to recruit more good Minnesota (read white) kids.

This is bad on so many levels. Unless the regents step w\in we are going to sub Purdue levels, and at least they got to go to one Rose Bowl in the last 50 years.

I hope for a peaceful resolution that sees Claeys survive and the team play in the Holiday Bowl but both sides are painted in a corner. I'm sadly expecting the scorched earth option, because there's no way I see the administration rolling back those punishments due to an action like this given the accusations. If that doesn't happen, how far will the players take it and can Claeys really survive enabling the rebellion given his position?

Scorched Earth NEVER is good for either side and it is STRONGLY in the University's best interest to resolve this somehow and soon. It's too late to keep all this under wraps and it's going to piss someone off no matter what. Compromise is important here. We'll see.

I think the general public will think that his tweet tacitly gave a pass to sexual assault and harassment. This clearly illustrates the impossible position that these Title IX offices put the University in when they offer recommendations. Those same people would think that if the U ignored the recommendation, they are tacitly giving a pass to sexual assault and harassment.

I think the tweet directly supported logic and reality. Those are two things that don't have much place on a college campus anymore.

This was not the cause to die for and what probably died was not only his Minnesota head coaching career but also his FBS level head coaching career.

He may not care. The guy is a lifelong bachelor with no apparent interests other than coaching football. As such, he probably has a big pile of money and may not even need to work. At the least, he'd get a DC job at some smaller school, maybe in the Sun Belt where the weather is better.

Scorched Earth NEVER is good for either side and it is STRONGLY in the University's best interest to resolve this somehow and soon. It's too late to keep all this under wraps and it's going to piss someone off no matter what. Compromise is important here. We'll see.

A just process is all that matters here. I think you piss off anyone in opposition to that without consideration nor compromise.

You right though, this needs to be done in a few days max.

Claeys might get fired or forced out over this, but sometimes you simply have to do what is right.

Deep down Kaler knows what is right here too, but he has taken the other path. This is going to do wonders for his career. In the world of academia, ignoring individual rights and due process in favor of the bowing to the PC overlords is a pretty big feather in your hat. This could get him a post at an Ivy League school.

Claeys might get fired or forced out over this, but sometimes you simply have to do what is right.

Deep down Kaler knows what is right here too, but he has taken the other path. This is going to do wonders for his career. In the world of academia, ignoring individual rights and due process in favor of the bowing to the PC overlords is a pretty big feather in your hat. This could get him a post at an Ivy League school.

Great post.

Also, Claeys did not ruin his career. He will get hired as a DC somewhere. Look at what Briles did and people were already talking about him again. Claeys didn't do anything wrong. He suspended these players (without stink) during the season.

+1
This isn't an Art Briles situation. Claeys said and did all the right things until he had to take a different course and support his kids. Sawvel especially handled this very well.

I've never liked Kaler and I now despise him.

Doesn't anyone find the Irony in President Kalers statements

Based on Claeys tweet tonight, I like him way more.

If the U doesn't right this nonsense, I am done supporting the University.

I am glad that the U is the school shining a spotlight on that absurdity that revolves around these Title IX investigations.

I find it extremely Ironic that president Kaler is grandstanding on the suspensions and spewing this crap about TITLE IX and code of conduct violations for the University when he himself, hired a serial sexual harasser of U of M employees, was that employees direct superior and Supervisor and yet he faced no repercussions from the board of regents for AD Norwood Teagues actions or his hiring decision. Yeah that was really in keeping of the University of Minnesota's core values and culture. Just a bit rich that President Kaler is taking this hard line stand now on the recommendation from the EEAO office towards these student athletes when he was in a position to stop or prevent sexual harassment by one of his employees and direct reports. That and he didn't take action until it became a scandal in the media even when there were already discussions about unprofessional behavior by his AD Teague. President Kaler set the standard by letting a wolf in the the chicken coop, he shares culpability but shares none of the responsibility. Kaler and Coyle along with the players continue the scandal but they themselves the administration, have no accountability for the University's Values or culture. They are failures the leadership and U administration, along with anyone involved in the direct incident where poor judgement was used. The U and the administration deserve every bit of scorn they receive.

I get that some people are applauding Claeys for supporting his players in the face of injustice. But I will absolutely hate it if the players are permitted to dictate the actions of the administration (even if the admin is wrong). I hated it when it was done at Mizzou. I thought Pinkel should have been fired on the spot and all the players scholarships yanked if they didn't report to practice immediately. I feel the same way now.

You are not concerned about the miscarriage of justice against those players not involved whose reputations are ruined? I applaud the players and the coaches standing side by side. Not for those who committed the sexual acts, but for fairness. Throw the books on African American football players, but spare the drug dealing wrestling team members who are most likely all white.

What recourse do they have when no one wants to hear their plea?

It is ironic that the EOAA can give what appears to be racially biased draconian "recommendations" with no oversight in ruining athletes lives and reputations without due process.

I think this may a good Supreme Court case if a legal challenge ever comes forward.

Claeys had no say in these suspensions, you can tell how Coyle changed his story after throwing Claeys under the bus. Trust me, the players have asked Coach Claeys if he had anything to do with it, and Claeys told them the truth. The players know, they wouldn't just assume, since they are pretty close to the coaching staff. This relationship between Kaler, Coyle, and Claeys has probably been damaged after what Coyle did to Claeys, and thus you see the coaches weighing in now.

Kaler seems to be doing his utmost to destroy the football program. Coyle is hiding under the table as the crockery flies by.

I find it extremely Ironic that president Kaler is grandstanding on the suspensions and spewing this crap about TITLE IX and code of conduct violations for the University when he himself, hired a serial sexual harasser of U of M employees, was that employees direct superior and Supervisor and yet he faced no repercussions from the board of regents for AD Norwood Teagues actions or his hiring decision. Yeah that was really in keeping of the University of Minnesota's core values and culture. Just a bit rich that President Kaler is taking this hard line stand now on the recommendation from the EEAO office towards these student athletes when he was in a position to stop or prevent sexual harassment by one of his employees and direct reports. That and he didn't take action until it became a scandal in the media even when there were already discussions about unprofessional behavior by his AD Teague. President Kaler set the standard by letting a wolf in the the chicken coop, he shares culpability but shares none of the responsibility. Kaler and Coyle along with the players continue the scandal but they themselves the administration, have no accountability for the University's Values or culture. They are failures the leadership and U administration, along with anyone involved in the direct incident where poor judgement was used. The U and the administration deserve every bit of scorn they receive.
Excellent observation - to my knowledge, no one else has mentioned this.

Any career orientated coach would not touch this job with a ten foot pole now.

But they'd line up for the Penn State job after Paterno was canned?

Matt Rhule could've landed a much better job than Baylor's.

Al Golden took the Miami job knowing the NCAA was in the middle of an investigation.

I really think the best option here is for Kaler and Coyle to be on the same page and meet with Claeys this morning to say something to the effect of, "we can't tell you everything that our investigation uncovered, but you have to trust us that this punishment is just, and we need you to get behind us and get your coaches and as many players on board. If you don't we are prepared to let your entire staff go and keep the current suspensions in place even if it means missing the bowl game."
It really is a lose lose, but the administration cannot cave on this. Either way it is going to take a while to rebuild the fanbase and possibly the talent on this team after this.

To preface, we obviously don't know the whole story about the 10 students...But Claeys definitely took a gamble on that tweet. Basically an all-or-nothing hailmary. If the students are innocent, he looks good. If they are not innocent, he may never coach again anywhere. At least in D1.

Top Bottom