Based on Claeys' tweet tonight, I don't see how Coyle keeps him

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Coyle and Kaler aren't changing course. I don't see how you keep this staff going forward? Claeys may have put the nail in his coffin with that tweet.

Claeys tweet:
Have never been more proud of our kids. I respect their rights & support their effort to make a better world! 〽️[emoji458]

Even if the players boycott the bowl game I don't see Coyle pulling their scholarships. I think you meet one by one with each player if they don't go to the bowl and say are you playing for the University of Minnesota this spring and next fall or are you not? I need to know by this date. Guys would be foolish to say not. This is part of life, and you learn from it. If you want to transfer, be my guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normally i would agree with you on admin sticking together, but in this instance you could very well see a team exodus. seniors who have given their whole college careers to this place are ready to walk away from it, what makes you think someone who still has eligibility left wouldn't do the same?

kaler/coyle wouldnt survive destroying a major football program like that, they would be gone.

Coyle and Kaler aren't changing course. I don't see how you keep this staff going forward? Claeys may have put the nail in his coffin with that tweet.

Claeys tweet:
Have never been more proud of our kids. I respect their rights & support their effort to make a better world! 〽️[emoji458]

Even if the players boycott the bowl game I don't see Coyle pulling their scholarships. I think you meet one by one with each player if they don't go to the bowl and say are you playing for the University of Minnesota this spring and next fall or are you not? I need to know by this date. Guys would be foolish to say not. This is part of life, and you learn from it. If you want to transfer, be my guest.

I'd run up the hill with the guy leading the charge a hell of a lot faster than i'd run up the hill with guy being pulled by a leash from his master.

And a whole bunch of them may transfer, especially the more talented ones who haven't redshirted. This is new era of college sports where the power is shifting to the athletes.

normally i would agree with you on admin sticking together, but in this instance you could very well see a team exodus. seniors who have given their whole college careers to this place are ready to walk away from it, what makes you think someone who still has eligibility left wouldn't do the same?

kaler/coyle wouldnt survive destroying a major football program like that, they would be gone.

Not sure about that. There are all sorts of University people and members of the Board of Regents that would be thrilled with the destruction of the football program.

And a whole bunch of them may transfer, especially the more talented ones who haven't redshirted. This is new era of college sports where the power is shifting to the athletes.

You're speaking Kaler's language. He's salivating at the savings in scholarship money.

Anyone who has redshirted and transfers would lose a year of eligibility. 5 to play 4.

Claeys tweet seems to me like someone trying to save his roster and recruits. It also seems that he is not necessarily aligned with his boss as the players insinuated. Not a good spot to be in...

Any career orientated coach would not touch this job with a ten foot pole now.

Not sure about that. There are all sorts of University people and members of the Board of Regents that would be thrilled with the destruction of the football program.

totally understand there are nutjobs like that on the board, but when it comes to big time money from the football team and the conference, the adults will show up and straighten this out

Maybe this is by design by Coyle to finally get his man in. In the meantime, the cobra and the mongoose are in a death spiral.

Claeys tweet seems to me like someone trying to save his roster and recruits. It also seems that he is not necessarily aligned with his boss as the players insinuated. Not a good spot to be in...

Some have said that Coyle wants his own guys once facilities are completed. Maybe Claeys sees this in extension negotiations and treatment of this mess.

Claeys tweet:

Translation: Based on Claeys tweet tonight, I'm really, really giddy at the thought that he'll get fired!!!

Understood.

totally understand there are nutjobs like that on the board, but when it comes to big time money from the football team and the conference, the adults will show up and straighten this out

Yep. Pull out of athletics and the Big Ten throws you out of the conference. There would be no "University of Chicago" deal either. The majority of the faculty wouldn't be happy with that. Any non-troll wouldn't be happy with that either.

Many mouth breathers on the internet and in comments sections would damn thrilled about it though.

The money involved with college football is peanuts compared to the overall budget of the University. And the Big Ten isn't going to punish the U for enforcing Title IX.

Based on Claeys tweet tonight, I like him way more.

If the U doesn't right this nonsense, I am done supporting the University.

I am glad that the U is the school shining a spotlight on that absurdity that revolves around these Title IX investigations.

The money involved with college football is peanuts compared to the overall budget of the University. And the Big Ten isn't going to punish the U for enforcing Title IX.

I don't think anyone thinks that Big 10 is going to punish the U.

I think people think there is going to be a mass exodus from the program (coaches, players, fans). If the U cowers to these regressive nuts, they deserve it.

Essentially, we'll be starting a program from scratch. IT won't be because of a Big 10 mandate.

I think people think there is going to be a mass exodus from the program (coaches, players, fans). If the U cowers to these regressive nuts, they deserve it.

Essentially, we'll be starting a program from scratch. IT won't be because of a Big 10 mandate.

Agreed. I've never been a Claeys fan but I'm glad he's taking a stand rather than cowering in the corner like Coyle.

Football skews title IX a great deal with its 85 scholarships

You'd then have to eliminate volleyball, women's Bball and women's hockey, or tons of track and field to satisfy title IX.

At least that is how I understand it.

There is no way you could eliminate football without gutting the women's side.

Football skews title IX a great deal with its 85 scholarships

You'd then have to eliminate volleyball, women's Bball and women's hockey, or tons of track and field to satisfy title IX.

At least that is how I understand it.

There is no way you could eliminate football without gutting the women's side.

Actually Football is the reason no Div 1 schools are in compliance with Title IX. There are no female sports with 85 scholarship athletes. If you eliminate football, then we'd actually be much closer to in compliance.

Curious about your opinion on Title IX.

I understand it is enforceable because schools receive federal funds.

If true, then how in the world is the EOAA punishment constitutional?

Otherwise, doesn't that create a situation where title ix trumps the constitution?

Seems if you make the argument for 1 federal law, then the constitution goes must also be enforced for the exact same reason.

Not against title ix in any means, just have never understood that apparent contradiction when people speak of universities not having to comply with due process requirements of the 5th and 14th.

I would support Coyle doubling down and firing Claeys tomorrow.

Otherwise, doesn't that create a situation where title ix trumps the constitution?

Seems if you make the argument for 1 federal law, then the constitution goes must also be enforced for the exact same reason.

Not against title ix in any means, just have never understood that apparent contradiction when people speak of universities not having to comply with due process requirements of the 5th and 14th.

Title IX only says provide scholarships in the same ratio as your student body or don't take federal money. No School is forced to comply, they just would need to give up federal student loans.

Public universities do have to comply with the due process requirements. The students are entitled to a hearing. The formality and type of hearing (or process) depends upon what the student is going to be punished for. If a student is going to be expelled, he/she will have a formal hearing.

EOAA punishment is Constitutional because it is not them giving the punishment. They are just making a recommendation and the school decides whether or not to punish. Schools can punish students for a variety of acts that do not rise to the level of a crime.

Title IX itself really isn't the problem. The problem is that most school's, to try to make sure they did the right thing and complied with Title IX, created these offices. These offices have gone completely rogue and are able to essentially hold the University hostage.

Look at the comments section in the Pioneer Press or Strib, the average person in the state of MN is automatically on their side. They are on their side because sexual assault is such an awful thing that it's hard for some people to really "let the story play out". These groups take advantage of those situations and the regressive climate on college campuses take the bait.

Football aside, these offices are an issue. They have been an issue all over the country. The second I saw that they were suspended due to a Title IX investigation I knew this thing would blow up. If you ever see a Title IX investigation into sexual assault for a case when charges aren't filed. . . watch out.

Top Bottom