Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default North Carolina GOP moves to change all the rules to stay in power

Apparently North Carolina Republicans have been studying up on the power moves that dictators in small 3rd world countries make and are looking to implement some themselves:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0493aa2a12a7

In the waning hours of Republicans' hold on government in North Carolina, they are proposing bills aimed at significantly curbing Gov.-elect Roy Cooper's (D) power. In a last-last-minute special session, Republicans introduced a series of bills late Wednesday that would:

—Require the governor's Cabinet appointments to be approved by the state Senate
    — Limit the number of members the governor can appoint to powerful board of trustees at the University of North Carolina school system and the state Board of Education.
    — Significantly cut the number of positions who work directly for the governor, from 1,500 (a number Republicans approved when they had a Republican governor) to 300.
    — Divide members of the Board of Elections, typically appointed by the governor, between parties in a way that gives Republicans control during election years.
    It's worth noting that Republicans had held a majority on the Board of Elections and used that power to reduce the availability of polling sites in more strongly Democratic (read: minority) areas. Essentially they looked in the mirror and got an idea of what abuse of power could look like:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.c78b7b3f50c3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.60c6765ed1ac

The only good news is that the last time they tried this type of thing, it probably led to Democrats winning the Governorship in the first place. From the first article:

Democrats are having some déjà vu: The last time GOP lawmakers called a high-profile special session, they ended up ramming through one of the state's most controversial laws in recent memory, a bill limiting what public bathrooms transgender people can use and municipalities' ability to pass anti-LGBT-discrimination laws.

The national backlash to that bill helped contribute to McCrory's upset. (He conceded earlier this month, but not before calling the election into question via unproven widespread voter fraud.)

The fear had been that they would block Cooper from taking over and reinstall McCrory as governor. There's language in statute that they could use to do so if they chose. When McCrory conceded last week, that pretty much ended that concern. As the article notes, the other fear had been that they'd stack the state supreme court by increasing the number of justices, also within their power. Compared to those things, these abuses are a level or two less terrible.

Don't live in NC, don't care.

Blog Entries

Bad has it wrong. The Washington Post is the worst and incredibly dishonest, but then that is all you got. gotnofacts at it again.
    Kingdom Warriors

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the liberal media links. That would include the Raleigh and Charlotte papers. You have a great misrepresentation here and is the view supplied by the democrats (very liberal in NC, why the Rs hold a supermajority in both chambers). Without and honest understanding of the Charlotte ordinance and Cooper's first appointees, you can not understand what is going on with partial information. I know many of the house members and a few of the senate. I'm not concerned that this is a problem for anyone other than the hysterical left (that would include you, oneoffewfacts).
    Kingdom Warriors

Curious. That is the first time I've seen someone brand anything related to Fox as liberal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post
    Curious. That is the first time I've seen someone brand anything related to Fox as liberal.
    Local Fox affiliates are not tied into the politics of FNC, therefore, the affiliates aren't necessarily right leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Local Fox affiliates are not tied into the politics of FNC, therefore, the affiliates aren't necessarily right leaning.
    So then are they necessarily left leaning?

Blog Entries

Local TV, not national which has progressive tendencies at times itself. As far as NC links I noted the Raleigh and Charlotte papers. Channel 8 isn't so bad. Neither is their link. Still it was based on Democrat talking points. It admits it if you open it. I have a close friend who is near the center of this. I'll give him a call later today. We talk at least weekly, usually see him that often. He is also a RNC member. My only criticisms of him is he is originally from Wisconsin and a Navy veteran. At least he is a veteran. i was unsure of what they would do beyond authorizing $200M for Hurricane Mathew relief and the Mountain's wild fires. I saw the need for expanding the Supreme Court, but did not like the process. Our state party is responsible for the state election loses. Working on electing new people to prevent further electoral calamity.
    Kingdom Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    Local TV, not national which has progressive tendencies at times itself. As far as NC links I noted the Raleigh and Charlotte papers. Channel 8 isn't so bad. Neither is their link. Still it was based on Democrat talking points. It admits it if you open it. I have a close friend who is near the center of this. I'll give him a call later today. We talk at least weekly, usually see him that often. He is also a RNC member. My only criticisms of him is he is originally from Wisconsin and a Navy veteran. At least he is a veteran. i was unsure of what they would do beyond authorizing $200M for Hurricane Mathew relief and the Mountain's wild fires. I saw the need for expanding the Supreme Court, but did not like the process. Our state party is responsible for the state election loses. Working on electing new people to prevent further electoral calamity.
    K

Thanks for sharing!
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Thanks for all the liberal media links.

Why not explain what's going on? Why pretend it's not happening and then pretend that it's only the liberal media that's reporting on it?

I have to tell you that I'm totally shocked that the Republican lawmakers who are doing this don't think it's a problem. Next you're going to tell me the fox thinks leaving the henhouse door wide open is great.

BTW, I can't even imagining living in a world in which you believed that every single major news outlet was out to get you. That has to be terrifying and exhausting.

Just for future reference, is Reuters liberal? http://www.reuters.com/article/us-no...-idUSKBN1442BA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Don't live in NC, don't care.
    Right, because the state GOPs never coordinate anything. They all decided to ban gay marriage and close all abortion clinics, etc. at the exact same time by coincidence. The Minnesota GOP would never try anything like this.

Blog Entries

So then are they necessarily left leaning?
    Anything not from World Net Daily, the National Enquirer or another Beeg-approved source is by default left-leaning trash.