Rossow: Physicality on the mind for Gophers as they prep for Washington State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rossow:

The Gophers were 6.5-point underdogs for their Holiday Bowl matchup with Washington State as of Sunday afternoon, when the Maroon-and-Gold wrapped up its second practice preparing for the Cougars.

Spotting only a touchdown might still be Vegas oddsmakers overestimating Minnesota’s ability to score with the high-flying Cougars, but judging by the team’s post-practice sentiments, the Gophers believe there’s one way to upset their opponents from the Palouse later this month.

They must get physical in San Diego.

“We want to be a tough, physical team and show them what the Big Ten’s all about,” said Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner. “That’s kind of the mentality we have going into the game is to be able to hopefully overpower these guys.”

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2016/12/physicality-mind-gophers-prep-washington-state/

Go Gophers!!

per Rossow:

The Gophers were 6.5-point underdogs for their Holiday Bowl matchup with Washington State as of Sunday afternoon, when the Maroon-and-Gold wrapped up its second practice preparing for the Cougars.

Spotting only a touchdown might still be Vegas oddsmakers overestimating Minnesota’s ability to score with the high-flying Cougars, but judging by the team’s post-practice sentiments, the Gophers believe there’s one way to upset their opponents from the Palouse later this month.

They must get physical in San Diego.

“We want to be a tough, physical team and show them what the Big Ten’s all about,” said Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner. “That’s kind of the mentality we have going into the game is to be able to hopefully overpower these guys.”

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2016/12/physicality-mind-gophers-prep-washington-state/

Go Gophers!!

Anyone care to go over/under as far as targeting calls? I'm going with 2. The referees seem to have our number and are quite free with the flags.

Playin Nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with that, Mitch. The past 40 years shows that the PAC 10 plays faster and stronger than B1G teams believe.

Mitch is going to be harrassed, beat down and humiliated in a lopsided loss by the end of the day. The Claeys haters will be out in full force and everyone will be pining for the Mason era.

Have fun staring up at the San Diego sky, Mitch.

Good luck with that, Mitch. The past 40 years shows that the PAC 10 plays faster and stronger than B1G teams believe.

Mitch is going to be harrassed, beat down and humiliated in a lopsided loss by the end of the day. The Claeys haters will be out in full force and everyone will be pining for the Mason era.

Well that wasn't a nice post.

Go Gophers!!

You could never convince me that you're a Gopher fan.

Well, at least part of your post was positive. No, wait a minute, my mistake.

I don't recall Mitch popping off with bulletin board material before? "overpower these guys" is a dumb comment to make before a football game by an offensive player. We are already touchdown underdogs. Let's hope he plays like he did in Detroit last year.
If Mitch gets dinged and Rhoda comes in and throws 21 outta 27 for 333 yards because we are in catch up mode...then what?
I don't see Green or Croft playing part of one game in the final game.

This has to be a bit, right?

It's me still pissed off with Mitch's second half sh!t show in Madison.
It's best if Mitch stays quiet.

Big Ten teams have traditionally run into trouble playing PAC-12 schools out on the West Coast. Goes back to
the PAC-8 days. When they come to Big Ten Country- different story. Out West? Trouble.

We should be underdogs. Is it winnable? Yes. But there's a greater burden on the Big Ten team in this circumstance.

So our fans would wish to average 6.4 overall and 3.2 Big Ten wins per season?

The spread offense hasn't been out there for 40 years- the PAC-12 strength and ability to impose their will isn't what it was even 10 years ago. Nevertheless Mitch should keep his mouth closed.

The spread offense hasn't been out there for 40 years- the PAC-12 strength and ability to impose their will isn't what it was even 10 years ago. Nevertheless Mitch should keep his mouth closed.

What did he really say that was that bad? They want to be physical? Not really a secret the Big Ten is knows as a very physical conference.

I don't recall Mitch popping off with <b>bulletin board material </b>before? "overpower these guys" is a dumb comment to make before a football game by an offensive player. We are already touchdown underdogs. Let's hope he plays like he did in Detroit last year.
If Mitch gets dinged and Rhoda comes in and throws 21 outta 27 for 333 yards because we are in catch up mode...then what?

Rumor is WSU is going to try harder now. Damn Mitch.

Of course Mitch wants to be tough and physical. He knows we can't score throwing the ball. What else is he going to hope for if the kids can't run the ball?

Rumor is WSU is going to try harder now. Damn Mitch.

Ya, Mitch undoubtedly just cost us the game with that dreaded bulletin board material. I just hope WS doesn't hurt him because they'll be so fired up.

I don't recall Mitch popping off with bulletin board material before? "overpower these guys" is a dumb comment to make before a football game by an offensive player. We are already touchdown underdogs. Let's hope he plays like he did in Detroit last year.

The return of the bulletin board material posts. How dare we say we 'hope' to overpower the other team. Give me a break. Still blaming the Wisconsin and Nebraska losses in 2015 on Jon Christenson are we?

I can easily piss you guys off on cue

The return of the bulletin board material posts. How dare we say we 'hope' to overpower the other team. Give me a break. Still blaming the Wisconsin and Nebraska losses in 2015 on Jon Christenson are we?

But of course it would never work if a coach inspired his 7 point favorite team into getting pissed off versus complacent for three hours with just words. Naw, we've never heard any post game comments about why a team was fired up and dominated on a particular day because of words or inspiration. Nope, it's just words and attitude, means nothing in football. Motivation has no place in football! Did you guys ever play or coach above 6th grade? Just question the opponents manhood and toughness as the most prominent guy on the other team. Nobody will notice. Brilliant!

Rumor is that Washington St was only going to try at 75% but Leidner's comment has gotten them up to the 90% level.

Looks like our only shot now is if someone on WS says something mean in the next couple weeks to get us fired up.

Of course Mitch wants to be tough and physical. He knows we can't score throwing the ball. What else is he going to hope for if the kids can't run the ball?

Jeez dude- we get it already- Mitch is evil incarnate.

Jeez dude- we get it already- Mitch is evil incarnate.

No, he seems like a great person. He will be a great hire in any business that that wants him...other than professional quarterback.
I'm more frustrated with a staff that can't find or coach a quarterback to be marginally accurate as a passer.
We have a specific need in this one game and it turns out that the one need happens to be our Achilles heel.
Mitch seems like a great human being.

Top Bottom