CBS: Ranking the best college football coaching hires in the Power Five (#1. Purdue)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

1. Purdue -- Jeff Brohm: Oh man did I love this hire. I mean, it's No. 1 on this list, so you could probably figure that out on your own, but I just feel the need to say it as many times as possible because that's just how much I love this hire.

If you haven't been paying attention to Western Kentucky the past few years, that's too bad because it has been one of the best offenses in the country to watch for a while now. If you asked me to label what kind of offense it was that Brohm runs, I would have a very hard time doing so because the truth is Brohm runs a little bit of everything. If he needs to air it out, he'll air it out. If his personnel is better suited to a power run approach, he'll do that to.

Simply put, every time I watched the Western Kentucky offense I just felt bad for the defensive coordinators who had spent a week trying to figure out what to do with it. It just felt like an impossible task, because if you took one thing away, Brohm just played with something else.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-football-coaching-hires-in-the-power-five/

Go Gophers!!

"Basketball on grass" has tended not to work in the B10 without elite athletes on both sides of the ball. It puts too much pressure on the defense and a team is typically 1 or 2 injuries away from disaster on offense.

I call B.S. Who cares who coaches Purdue, or Indiana? How about Tom Herman to Texas? Or Coach O at LSU?

I call B.S. Who cares who coaches Purdue, or Indiana? How about Tom Herman to Texas? Or Coach O at LSU?

That info was on the link.

He had LSU at 4 and Texas at 2.

4. LSU -- Ed Orgeron: I like Ed Orgeron. I've always liked Ed Orgeron, and while he was the interim at Southern California, it certainly felt like he had done enough to keep the job. He didn't, however, and we all know how that worked out for everybody involved. Steve Sarkisian is on the verge of being the offensive coordinator at Alabama and Orgeron is now running the show in Baton Rouge.

Still, as much as I like Orgeron, I can't get past the fact that this all boils down to the fact that LSU fired Les Miles to replace him with Ed Orgeron. We also know that Coach O wasn't the first choice, as LSU's flirtations with Jimbo Fisher and Tom Herman weren't kept under wraps. Had either of them said yes, then Orgeron isn't getting the job...

2. Texas -- Tom Herman: The funny thing about the Herman hire at Texas is that it's the biggest move on the coaching carousel, but it also feels like the quietest. I think we were all just assuming that Herman was going to end up at Texas for so long that when it finally happened the collective response was just "yep."

However it went down, and whatever the reaction, it's still a huge hire for Texas, and the best hire it could have made -- of realistic options -- for the program going forward. Houston did not have the same kind of season in 2016 that it did in 2015, but Herman is still one of the brightest young coaches in the sport right now. Just look at some of the recruiting successes he had at Houston, and now extrapolate that out to what he'll be able to do while wearing a burnt orange polo.

Herman is just as skilled at putting together an offense as he is at recruiting, which will be a key at Texas. I've always been a big fan of Charlie Strong, and sincerely hoped it would work out for him in Austin, but Herman is a much better fit for the gig than Strong ever was.

Due to that, the next time we proclaim that Texas is BACK, it might actually be.

Serious question: Did Brohm's Western Kentucky teams ever beat a P5 team? Losses to Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt.

Kiffin to FAU a done deal. Interesting. Maybe some maturity and feeling the need to start small and prove himself again.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Serious question: Did Brohm's Western Kentucky teams ever beat a P5 team? Losses to Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt.

They those losses were by 8, 2 and 1 I think. They beat Vanderbilt and Rice twice. Put up some crazy numbers overall. Who knows how he'll do at Purdue.

Tiller gave them the best years they had in a long, long time. He owned Mason and took the Boilermakers to 10 Bowl Games in 12 Years. Including a trip to the Rose, Outback and Capital One Bowls.

Purdue will be pretty happy if Brohm can get them back to or at least near that record.

I thought Purdue hired P.J. Fleck.

That's what Gopherhole told me.

That's great, but he'll have to play D in the B1G or you only get the ball on kickoffs.

It is a nice hire for Purdue. Very good offensive coach and smart enough to adapt.

Top Bottom