Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Everything everyone has stated so far is on point, but the fact also remains the team isn't very good. Add it all up and the whole lure of Gopher hockey simply isn't there.

I say you have to stick with Big Ten Hockey. With the network the money is too good. In the long run college hockey is better off nationally and internationally when you have the Gophers playing fellow big ten teams. I went to a good number of CCHA games back before big ten hockey and I have to say games with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame when they were in the CCHA meant more to most fans than games against Ferris State, Bowling Green, UM-Dearborn when they had a team, and Northern Michigan when they were in the CCHA.

Quote Originally Posted by metrolax View Post
    Seeing the empty seats is disheartening. Losing the traditional rivals would be my guess as the #1 reason
    Wisconsin has always been a traditional rival. Michigan was a traditional rival before UND, UMD, St Cloud and Denver ever were. Rivalries take time. With Penn State being very good now, a rivalry with them will pick up. Same with Ohio State. 15 years ago, Denver and CC games were always big games. None of their alumni are here, and they aren't a geographical rivalry. It is all about being competitive and letting the rivalries develop naturally.

If anybody is still wondering why nobody but diehards goes to watch this bunch play, take a look at tonight's game with UMD. This is the new norm for Gopher hockey. Clueless for large portions of an important game, fall behind in typical fashion, and then sort of fight back before finally losing. Then have Lucia explain how they tried really really hard, but the other team just made a few more plays and so on. Rinse, repeat.

The slogan for Gopher hockey really should be changed from Pride on Ice to Embracing Mediocrity.