Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's up with the empty seats?

I watched OSU last week on BTN and Mich St tonight. Both Mariucci and Munn Arena have a lot of empty seats.
    I haven't kept up with MN hockey for a few years, it looks like it hasn't just been me. What's the deal?

college hockey is dying a slow death.

Big Ten hockey sucks. Way to go Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    Big Ten hockey sucks. Way to go Barry.
    Right now in the top 16 Pairwise there are:

3 B1G (PSU, OSU, Gophers) 50% of the league
    4 NCHA (UMD, Denver UND, WMU) 50%
    5 HEA (Lowell, UVT, BU, BC, Notre Dame) 42%
    4 ECAC (Harvard, Union, St. Lawrence, Cornell) 33%

The 3 biggest non-Minnesota names in the B1G are not playing well. OSU & PSU are scoring up a storm right now. I would say the B1G might be the most entertaining league right now.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Mah Gopher View Post
    I would say the B1G might be the most entertaining league right now.
    That's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by bonin21 View Post
    That's a stretch.
    The 2 highest scoring teams right now?

Penn St. & Ohio St.

People like scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People like rivalries. It's going to take a long, long time for people to get up for PSU, OSU, MSU...

I'm a season ticket holder, and the atmosphere is pretty weak for Big Ten games. Hence the open seats. Those two teams haven't played great schedules, either.

8. Default

Nobody gives a sh*t about Ohio State. Or Penn State. Or Michigan State. Or whoever has been kicking our tails in at the Mariucci Classic. People wanna see No. Dak., UMD, St. Cloud, Denver, and so on. WI and Mich are the only two Big Ten teams I might tune in to watch. Even then, I can barely handle Ben Clymer.

Quote Originally Posted by bonin21 View Post
    People like rivalries. It's going to take a long, long time for people to get up for PSU, OSU, MSU...

I'm a season ticket holder, and the atmosphere is pretty weak for Big Ten games. Hence the open seats. Those two teams haven't played great schedules, either.
    Penn St. must have played an OK schedule. They are #2 in the Pairwise, behind only UMD.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/schedules/psum

Their SOS is 27, which is generous when you look at those teams. Pairwise is great but I'm not a believer that they're an actual contender yet.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSam'sMisguidedChild View Post
    Nobody gives a sh*t about Ohio State. Or Penn State. Or Michigan State.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    I watched OSU last week on BTN and Mich St tonight. Both Mariucci and Munn Arena have a lot of empty seats.
    I haven't kept up with MN hockey for a few years, it looks like it hasn't just been me. What's the deal?
    Combo of the new priority seating system and gutting the WCHA for an inferior product. The Big Ten and WCHA are sold bad now they are playing their post season tourneys on the home team's campus

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    I do.
    Penn State actually draws well for hockey, they've really invested in the sport and I think it's starting to pay off for them.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    I do.
    Well, that's good. However, literally no one I know has ever been excited to go see any of those three teams, either live or on television. By the looks of the empty seats, most folks feel the same way. It's sad because the Gophers have been pretty good and, regardless of the quality of the league, 5 straight conference titles is impressive. It seems like more than a coincidence that the quiet arena became common after the arrival of Big Ten hockey.

Seeing the empty seats is disheartening. Losing the traditional rivals would be my guess as the #1 reason