Shama: 75 Years Later Smith Unique to U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Sometimes we have heroes who earned their glory before we were born. Growing up, one of my idols was 1941 Gophers Heisman Trophy winner Bruce Smith from Faribault, Minnesota.

How could it be any other way? My dad was a passionate Gophers football fan and law school graduate of the University of Minnesota. He saw Smith play many times and recounted stories about the great halfback who remains to this day the only Gopher ever to win college football’s most coveted individual prize.

Hollywood even made a movie about Smith. I can remember being so amazed when by chance I watched “Smith of Minnesota” on a Minneapolis TV station in the late 1950s. Wow, a Heisman winner from Minnesota and the subject of a movie? My admiration for Smith and his legacy was set in stone, never to be forgotten.

All Minnesota fans should remember Smith who 75 years ago today was in New York City to accept his Heisman award, symbolic of being college football’s best player in 1941. He was a home state hero who helped make the Golden Gophers brand synonymous with excellence. He was a key contributor to Minnesota’s national championships in 1940 and 1941, his junior and senior seasons. Those titles were the fourth and fifth produced by Bernie Bierman, the “Grey Eagle” from Litchfield, Minnesota who deserves a place among the Big Ten’s all-time coaching giants.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that the Gophers next Heisman winner is NOT currently on the roster.

The big question - in today's college FB universe, will the Gophers ever have another Heisman winner? With very rare exceptions, the Heisman goes to a QB or RB from a helmet school. For someone from another position, or a "lesser" program to win, they have to have a lights-out season for the ages.

So - 1st, the Coaching staff - either the current staff or a future staff - needs to recruit someone to the U of MN with the talent to win a Heisman. Then, that player needs to have a big enough year to draw national attention. And, it wouldn't hurt if the team was having enough success to be on the national radar.

Possible? I suppose so.

Likely? I have to say no.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that the Gophers next Heisman winner is NOT currently on the roster.

The big question - in today's college FB universe, will the Gophers ever have another Heisman winner? With very rare exceptions, the Heisman goes to a QB or RB from a helmet school. For someone from another position, or a "lesser" program to win, they have to have a lights-out season for the ages.

So - 1st, the Coaching staff - either the current staff or a future staff - needs to recruit someone to the U of MN with the talent to win a Heisman. Then, that player needs to have a big enough year to draw national attention. And, it wouldn't hurt if the team was having enough success to be on the national radar.

Possible? I suppose so.

Likely? I have to say no.

Possible, but it would have to be a team that makes the playoff/wins B1G title AND has a singular outstanding player. If it's a cohesive team that makes it to that level but no standout, probably no Heisman.

Top Bottom