STrib: Gophers guard Akeem Springs places a premium on winning, not starting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

If Akeem Springs’ only priority was starting, he probably wouldn’t be thriving now coming off the Gophers’ bench.

After graduating from Wisconsin-Milwaukee this summer, the guard jumped at the opportunity to transfer and play immediately at a bigger school. He considered Mississippi, close to his family, but he joined the Gophers partly because he believed he could make a bigger impact in a lineup with opportunities coming off an eight-win season.

Springs envisioned a starting role at Minnesota, but he ended up being assigned the sixth-man role this fall. That decision, while not part of Springs’ plan for his senior season, has proved wise, with Springs emerging as a leader and a big reason why Minnesota is off to a 8-1 start.

Did it take time to adjust to not starting?

“Absolutely,” Springs said. “I’m a guy through college who averaged about 30 minutes. So it definitely took some getting used to. But you know, it’s just about being ready, getting ready. Knowing that in my minutes, I have trying to make the most of the minutes. It’s definitely a change, but if you’re winning you can’t ask for more.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-a-premium-on-winning-not-starting/405540576/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom