Vandy destroyed by Middle Tennessee State

mizzougopher

Reaction score
Vandy got beat by 24 tonight against MTSU tonight. I got criticized for being hard on the gophers in the Vandy game thread last weekend. I stand by my points in that thread and think they will prove true throughout the season. The past three games have been below average for the gophers. Defensively they have been solid but they need to figure out a better offensive flow before big ten play hits.

Meanwhile UT-Arlington is beating a top 15 team on the road.

Middle Tennessee is really good, so not that surprising. A lot back (Potts, Upshaw) from team that beat Sparty in NCAA tourney last year.

FSU also dropped 118 on Nicholls State (who beat Boston College on the road earlier this season). Besides Vandy, our other victories / loss are looking decent tonight.

Can't say I'm shocked Vandy going through some growing pains and MTSU has a lot back from last year. These are always weird games for a team like Vandy,on another note good thing we played UT Arlington when we did, they seem to be hitting their stride. Selection would probably know this, but could they get to a level where they wouldn't need to win their conference tourney to get in, Arkansas state seems like a decent squad in the Sun Belt as well

MTSU

Can't say I'm shocked Vandy going through some growing pains and MTSU has a lot back from last year. These are always weird games for a team like Vandy,on another note good thing we played UT Arlington when we did, they seem to be hitting their stride. Selection would probably know this, but could they get to a level where they wouldn't need to win their conference tourney to get in, Arkansas state seems like a decent squad in the Sun Belt as well

MTSU (currently #4 RPI, #73 KenPom) definitely building a resume worthy of an at-large bid (if needed). The win over Vandy, road win over Ole Miss, a neutral-site win over CAA favorite NC-Wilmington (UNCW's only loss). And next two games are roadies vs. OVC favorite Belmont and VCU. Kermit Davis crafted a non-conference schedule that will give his team a legit chance for an at-large bid as long as Blue Raiders don't lose more than 3 or 4 Conference USA games.

MTSU (currently #4 RPI, #73 KenPom) definitely building a resume worthy of an at-large bid (if needed). The win over Vandy, road win over Ole Miss, a neutral-site win over CAA favorite NC-Wilmington (UNCW's only loss). And next two games are roadies vs. OVC favorite Belmont and VCU. Kermit Davis crafted a non-conference schedule that will give his team a legit chance for an at-large bid as long as Blue Raiders don't lose more than 3 or 4 Conference USA games.

Nice, could Texas Arlington get to that point to with a two or three loss in conference record?

Nice, could Texas Arlington get to that point to with a two or three loss in conference record?

Perhaps. Like MTSU, UTA playing a competitive non-conference schedule. ... Texas Southern (SWAC favorite), @ Minnesota, @ Florida Gulf Coast (A-Sun favorite), @ Arkansas, @ Texas, @ Saint Mary's, but at this point I would like MTSU's odds quite a bit better. With Texas struggling, UTA probably needed to beat one of Gophers/Arkansas, as well.

MTSU is legit, but I'd definitely say if we played them at home I would expect a W although it would be tough. Bad look for Vandy to get run out of the gym like that. UTA and Arkansas State are really helping our cause by putting together good non-conf resumes. It seems as though we will need to be ready to play out of the gates 12/23 vs Ark St.

Basically my point was that beating Vandy on a Neutral floor was considered a "Must Win", so if we lost that game we would have had to pick up an extra game in the "50/50" or "steal a game type of a categories" (going by how SS) breaks it down. And people were tending to act like this is a "put it on the resume" game which I feel it wasn't.

This thread is making me feel like Al Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom