Leidners last game forMN

Let's not be naive. If you bring in a JC QB it is his job to lose. It won't be a 33/33/33 open competition starting in the Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's not be naive. If you bring in a JC QB it is his job to lose. It won't be a 33/33/33 open competition starting in the Spring.

not necessarily - very possible it could be just lighting a fire with the underclassmen.

just means you are comfortable with the JC starting, doesnt imply he's the default

I disagree. You don't recruit JC kids to be backups. When you bring in a JC kid it is almost always with the hopes that they start because you only have them for a short time so it is pretty pointless to invest a bunch of time recruiting a guy that is going to ride the bench. This is especially true at the QB position. A JC Quarterback with any talent is going to want to go somewhere he has a great chance of playing right away, no point of going somewhere to just hold a clipboard for 2 years.

We recruited a Juco RB last year despite Rodney and Shannon

+1. There are plenty of examples of JuCos coming here (and elsewhere, for that matter) who didn't start or in some cases even play much at all.

+1. There are plenty of examples of JuCos coming here (and elsewhere, for that matter) who didn't start or in some cases even play much at all.

I'd be interested in how common it is for a JC QB tho. I'm guessing not very.

I mean, it's always possible for things to be worse. This is the Gophers. However, I'd like to think our next QB will carry the program to new heights, and Mitch is going away. There is no other option than to plow ahead. We've probably max(x)ed out under Mitch. If we had Ohio State's or Penn State's receivers would Mitch had put up some better stats? Yeah probably. But those receivers aren't going to go to a program that doesn't have a good passer or a good offense. The offense is in full-on rebuilding mode and I fear recruiting will be in a rut until it comes to life. We need a line, we need a TE (or two), we need receivers, we need a good QB. A good QB will instantly jump start the rebuild.

Who is it going to be? Williams? Croft? Taa'mu? Green? Somebody else? I'm pretty excited for next season. It's going to be a new-look offense for hopefully better.

Look - I'm 61, I've been following the Gophers since the mid-60's, and I've been hearing this same line, or a version of it, almost every season. The next QB is going to make the difference. The Truth of the matter (as I see it) - the Gophers have not been able to recruit an elite QB - or even a very good QB - for over 50 yeas. What makes anyone think that the next QB is going to be this great difference-maker?

As others have said, if Green or Croft was lighting it up in practice, the staff would not be trying to bring in a JC QB. They might be going after a HS kid to be the QB of the future - but a JC QB is coming in to be the QB of the present - otherwise you're wasting a roster spot.

No guarantees. At this time next year, at least a few fans may be changing their opinion of Mitch Leidner. Crazier things have happened.

Look - I'm 61, I've been following the Gophers since the mid-60's, and I've been hearing this same line, or a version of it, almost every season. The next QB is going to make the difference. The Truth of the matter (as I see it) - the Gophers have not been able to recruit an elite QB - or even a very good QB - for over 50 yeas. What makes anyone think that the next QB is going to be this great difference-maker?

We are due?

JC kids don't pan out, happens all the time, after all there was a reason they were in a JC in the first place. That said you don't bring in a JC kid unless you expect him to compete for a starting job. He may very well not end up winning the job, but you at least expect him to be in the mix. It would be foolish to recruit a JC guy you don't think can be a possible starter because you would just be wasting time developing a guy that is only going to be around for a short period of time.

And you definitely don't bring in a JC QB unless you think there is a better than average chance you are going to need him.

Don't post a lot, but thought I would throw my .02 in. Mitch is a great kid who gave it everything he had. I wish him the very best and thank him for his years of service. Problem is, it is hard to win in the B1G with a TE playing QB.

the way I see the JUCO QB recruitment is this. The coaching staff is recruiting the best QB they can find and they just aren't sure what they have in house. They probably have hopes that Green/Croft turns into the starter, but are hedging their bets in case neither of them do. I bet if you asked them and they responded truthfully, they are hoping Green/Croft are next years starter.

The other thing could be that they are confident in one of them, but have serious doubts about the other thus needing a viable backup. And if they plan on a dual threat, the odds of injury is even higher so maybe they want 3 capable QBs next year.

4* JC recruit of the brewster era Hayo Carpenter for example.

I don't believe the story was every fully told or if it was I didnt see it-what was the deal with this kid? Very highly rated but slow as a nag? Didn't he have all kinds of offers? Injured? Made-up 40 times? Being a JUCO and more physically developed there is less chance of a bust than a project coming out of high school. Seems very strange...

As others have said, if Green or Croft was lighting it up in practice, the staff would not be trying to bring in a JC QB. They might be going after a HS kid to be the QB of the future - but a JC QB is coming in to be the QB of the present - otherwise you're wasting a roster spot.

No guarantees. At this time next year, at least a few fans may be changing their opinion of Mitch Leidner. Crazier things have happened.

Like coaches, sometimes it's miss, miss, miss, hit. Nobody knows if Ta'amu is going to be great but IMO he looks promising. The offense as a whole is a bit of a mess right now. I would love to have some recruiting firepower in the form of a coach who's been in the league or an ex-NFL player, etc. That kind of moxie goes a long with some of these guys (Brew had cred and sales smarts, hate on him if you want for his other limitations) and the current staff doesn't have a lot to hang their hat on. Success breeds success and becomes a positive feedback loop, as does losing.

Didn't Brewster also bring in David Pittman as a JuCo QB? Did he ever see playing time? (IIRC he might have played a few snaps at receiver).

Didn't Brewster also bring in David Pittman as a JuCo QB? Did he ever see playing time? (IIRC he might have played a few snaps at receiver).

Yep, you are right. He played sparingly at WR. That was about it. Truth be told, they may have only brought him in as a WR or an ATH with the statement of they'd give him a look at QB to see what he had. But I think during his recruitment, he was being brought in as a WR more than a QB.

not necessarily - very possible it could be just lighting a fire with the underclassmen.

just means you are comfortable with the JC starting, doesnt imply he's the default

Agree. As I looked around, it seems other teams have done just that...with success. Sends a message.

Once Ole Miss fired their OC/QB coach he changed his tune. It went from I feel comfortable with Ole Miss and won't visit Minnesota to I called Coach Johnson and we're setting up a visit for this weekend.

Sounds like maybe he could be using the U as leverage with Ole Miss?

Brought in as a WR. Played WR. Threw a pass in the bowl game IIRC.

I don't believe the story was every fully told or if it was I didnt see it-what was the deal with this kid? Very highly rated but slow as a nag? Didn't he have all kinds of offers? Injured? Made-up 40 times? Being a JUCO and more physically developed there is less chance of a bust than a project coming out of high school. Seems very strange...

IIRC, Hayo was the #1 rated JC WR that year - in large part because he had a documented 40 time that was NFL fast. Problem was that when he got here he was anything but fast. I recall seeing a play early on where he was run down by a LB from behind (maybe in a scrimmage, can't recall exactly) and I turned to my buddy and made some comment like "what was your favorite Hayo moment? Little did I know how accurate that joke was.

I think Leinder's legacy was cemented with the Wisconsin game. That being said a great performance and a win in the Holiday Bowl would be a great way for the senior class to go out and be a great way to go into next year

IIRC, Hayo was the #1 rated JC WR that year - in large part because he had a documented 40 time that was NFL fast. Problem was that when he got here he was anything but fast. I recall seeing a play early on where he was run down by a LB from behind (maybe in a scrimmage, can't recall exactly) and I turned to my buddy and made some comment like "what was your favorite Hayo moment? Little did I know how accurate that joke was.

It was in a game...I want to say against Wisconsin but could be wrong on that. All I know is that it was sad to see our "speed demon" get rundown by a guy far bigger then him

It was in a game...I want to say against Wisconsin but could be wrong on that. All I know is that it was sad to see our "speed demon" get rundown by a guy far bigger then him

Kinda felt the same way watching Berkley Edwards at times. Speed on paper didn't seem to translate onto the FB field.

It was against Wisconsin. The whole stadium was excited when he got the ball, and there was a collective gasp as he got run down from behind by a defensive end. It was over for Hayo at that moment.

Kinda felt the same way watching Berkley Edwards at times. Speed on paper didn't seem to translate onto the FB field.

Berkeley' issues were that he couldn't run between the tackles and he couldn't cut or spin. Other than that he was unbelievable.

Berkeley' issues were that he couldn't run between the tackles and he couldn't cut or spin. Other than that he was unbelievable.

Had a little trouble catching too. Citrus bowl.

I blame Claeys for Berkely not developing.

I think Berkley is actually fast.

But I hear you, it didn't seem to translate.

Top Bottom