ESPN.com Big Ten All-Freshman team

I thought we had a bumper crop of excellent freshmen on defense. I'm surprised not to see ESPN recognize that - I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...state-pace-espn-com-big-ten-all-freshman-team

Winfield made the list, guess I am having a hard time figuring out who got slighted. We had some freshman play well but Winfield is the only one I could see getting recognized as All Big Ten, which he did, so don't really see what your gripe is.

Winfield made the list, guess I am having a hard time figuring out who got slighted. We had some freshman play well but Winfield is the only one I could see getting recognized as All Big Ten, which he did, so don't really see what your gripe is.

Boy did he stand out. I like that a good number of frosh got decent playing time.

How about our holder? :D

Who are the freshmen who played?

• Winfield -- Great year, deserving of recognition.
  • Coughlin -- Played a lot once healthy, but not sure there's a lot on the stat sheet.
  • Martin -- Great pick against Iowa, but played less as the season wore on.
  • Buford -- Pass defense improved when he and Hardin were back, but probably missed too much time. I didn't notice him much in the last game or two, either, but maybe I just missed him.
  • Barber -- Joined the others halfway though the season; not much impact on defense.
  • Johnson -- Looked like he would be impressive early but disappeared toward the end of the season.
  • Beebe -- Contributed plenty, but doesn't show up in stats.
  • DeLattiboudere -- Contributed plenty, but maybe not enough sacks for recognition? Also a redshirt, if that matters on the list.
  • Devers -- Strong start, then injured.
  • Durr -- Almost exclusively special teams.
  • Waters -- Mostly special teams.

Any others who played much? A lot of good experience and a lot to look forward to, but not many would stand out to outsiders.

Who are the freshmen who played?

• Winfield -- Great year, deserving of recognition.
  • Coughlin -- Played a lot once healthy, but not sure there's a lot on the stat sheet.
  • Martin -- Great pick against Iowa, but played less as the season wore on.
  • Buford -- Pass defense improved when he and Hardin were back, but probably missed too much time. I didn't notice him much in the last game or two, either, but maybe I just missed him.
  • Barber -- Joined the others halfway though the season; not much impact on defense.
  • Johnson -- Looked like he would be impressive early but disappeared toward the end of the season.
  • Beebe -- Contributed plenty, but doesn't show up in stats.
  • DeLattiboudere -- Contributed plenty, but maybe not enough sacks for recognition? Also a redshirt, if that matters on the list.
  • Devers -- Strong start, then injured.
  • Durr -- Almost exclusively special teams.
  • Waters -- Mostly special teams.

Any others who played much? A lot of good experience and a lot to look forward to, but not many would stand out to outsiders.

Think you nailed it. Good experience gained for all those guys but Winfield was really the only one that deserved any kind of recognition (which he got) when you compare those guys against the rest of the conference. If Devers had been able to do anything once BIG play started he might also have gotten recognition based on the ridiculous start to the year he had, but he was basically invisible after the first couple games.

If Devers can add 15-20 pounds in the off season and not lose his burst I think he'll be quite a player.

Top Bottom