WCCO: 4 Reasons To Buy Into Gophers Basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Here are four reasons to buy into Gophers basketball this year. If things keep progressing, you could hear Minnesota’s name called on Selection Sunday in March.

Can Exceed Last Season’s Win Total Before Big Ten Play
Completely Different Roster From 2015-16 Season
Went 2-1 In Early Non-Conference Power 5 Tests
Gophers Winning With Defense

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/12/07/4-reasons-to-buy-into-gophers-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

per WCCO:

Here are four reasons to buy into Gophers basketball this year. If things keep progressing, you could hear Minnesota’s name called on Selection Sunday in March.

Can Exceed Last Season’s Win Total Before Big Ten Play
Completely Different Roster From 2015-16 Season
Went 2-1 In Early Non-Conference Power 5 Tests
Gophers Winning With Defense

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/12/07/4-reasons-to-buy-into-gophers-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Not a completely different roster, I would call it a somewhat different roster. Three significant contributors are from last year.

I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread with just my thoughts, but I am becoming a little more concerned about this team now than I was two weeks ago. If you go back to the 2nd half against FSU, the Gophers have played 5 relatively ugly half's in a row, especially on the offensive end of the floor. I'd like to see more movement offensively: both ball and player movement. I do like that we run a lot of high pick and roll, but in conference play we will need more wrinkles and I think teams will dare Nate/Dupree to give the ball up to Reggie/Jordan/Eric until those 3 prove to be more efficient scorers in the paint. There were times against both Vanderbilt and NJIT that a better opponent would have put the game away from the Gophers: in the Vandy game it was the opening 7:30 where the Gophers managed 2 points and in the NJIT game it occurred in the second half where the Gophers went more than 6:30 of game time without a field goal. That's not to say bad half's or games can't or shouldn't happen, but it's three games in a row now where the offense has been nonexistent for long stretches. When you don't finish at a high rate in the paint, don't have an abundance of 3 point shooting, and (usually) struggle at the line it's tough to know what the answer is.

Individually, the one player I am most concerned about is Jordan Murphy. I feel the like scouting report is out on Murphy much like it was on Joe Coleman and Murphy doesn't appear to have added anything to his offensive game over the Summer. He needs to either improve his handle and court vision so his drives become more effective or add a consistent jumper to open up more lanes for himself. If he's struggling now in the non conference portion of the schedule, it likely will only get worse in conference play where coaches/players are already familiar with him. I don't claim to be the body language guy, but Murphy didn't exactly appear engaged against NJIT either.

Pitino has mentioned after the last two games that it's nice to be able to win when you don't play well, and that is certainly true...but at some point you need to fix the not playing well part. Obviously this team is much more fun to watch than last year's squad but they need to reach the level of play they have shown in stretches (against Arkansas, St. John's) a little more consistently to really make a 180 from last year.

Loved Clem's teams, couldn't watch Monson's, Excited about Tubby. But hated his offense. And I have faith in Pitino's coaching ability. His teams keep improving throughout the year. Even last year they were turning a corner until the three guards thing screwed it all up. Even when they play badly, I think his teams have been more entertaining than any since Clem's. I think he understands the entertainment aspect of this game. His comments on his team are open and candid. Like Joey's 'pump fake', and 'low motor Murph and hi motor Murph'. After the NIT win, Larry Brown said he couldn't understand how the Gophers beat them, as he said he had the much more talented team. I don't know how Pitino has recruited so well after all the crap that has been said about him. I believe he can become the big time coach that we will never ever be able to draw or afford to hire to this program, and that's the real reason to buy into this team.

I agree with some of the concern with Murphy. I don't want to see any 3pt shots from him and his back to the basket post ups have been tough to watch. Didn't he excel facing the basket last year? The back to basket and forcing into double teams has not worked against the better teams

There's a lot of new talent on the team though and I have enjoyed watching so far. Where would we be if Fitzgerald was available. He would likely be the 6th man. With the early success, I kind of forgot about his loss.

I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread with just my thoughts, but I am becoming a little more concerned about this team now than I was two weeks ago.

I am concerned as well for the B1G season. I just don't see enough depth to hang with the top teams for long. Hope I'm wrong.

I am concerned as well for the B1G season. I just don't see enough depth to hang with the top teams for long. Hope I'm wrong.

This team reminds me of some of the OSU teams that ran 8 deep at most and if possible they only played 7 players in each game. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many games like that for us(in BIG play) where Springs, Konate, and Curry are the only players off the bench getting any significant(>3mpg) minutes.

I agree with some of the concern with Murphy. I don't want to see any 3pt shots from him and his back to the basket post ups have been tough to watch. Didn't he excel facing the basket last year? The back to basket and forcing into double teams has not worked against the better teams

There's a lot of new talent on the team though and I have enjoyed watching so far. Where would we be if Fitzgerald was available. He would likely be the 6th man. With the early success, I kind of forgot about his loss.

Yeah, I mean Murphy has not had a good game since, well, uh, Saturday! The only Gopher with more than 9 points (he had 16), the only Gopher with more that 7 rebounds (Bakary had 7), he had 14. That was also against a much higher caliber team in Vandy, or at least Vandy should be rated that way by the end of the year. I did not see disinterest from him, what I saw was frustration and maybe a lack of focus on a couple of his fouls. He also needs to take some jump shots, and yes the occasional 3 pointer, or it will become increasingly easier to defend him. He also needs to be stronger on his short game but I am sure that some of that is due to the way he is being defended close to the basket.

Part of the problem with this team has been Lynch's injuries. Surgery towards the end of last season and again right before the beginning of this season. Then he hurts his ankle a few games ago. But, I like his game and I see him getting stronger as the year goes and I see Bakary getting better as his backup.

We currently have an RPI of 7. I know it does not mean much right now (I think Middle Tennessee State is 8), but it's been around 6 years since we have gotten any respect from any rating service. I am excited about this team and even more excited about where they will be next year with a true point guard on the team to backup Mason.

4 straight "meh" performances

Don't get me wrong, am pleased with 8-1, beats the alternative, but I echo some of what EG#9 said above. For the most part Gophers have not played well since the Arkansas game. 4 straight "meh" performances. ... SIU, Florida State, Vanderbilt, and NJIT. Absolutely, it's a good sign Gophers have grinded out a couple ugly wins, shows some added maturity, but they need to start playing well. 4 in a row is a trend. The clock is ticking, and Sparty visits Williams Arena to open the B1G season in less than 3 weeks. Would like to see a couple razor-sharp performances before then.

It probably just depends on what your expectations of the team are. Without this thread going crazy on another "except mediocrity" or "this is a new team" rant I think we need to remember where this team was last year. We've already matched our win total for all of last season and now its not ok we aren't blowing people out by enough? I think going 3-1 against power 5 teams and a win over a sneaky UT Arlington team is a pretty good start. Wins and Losses are all that matter to this point.

Of course this team is going to have some bad games/stretches this year. They aren't going to go 16-2 in the Big Ten. Let's hope they can just stay healthy and continue to improve.

We know what the Gophs are capable of, but inconsistency is a hallmark of young teams. They've put together some nice runs but still tend to relax at times. The hope is that this is part of the growing process.

It boils down to what are you expectations of this team?

I don't expect them to compete consistently with the top teir teams in the Big. 8-8 based on what I see would be a great result. 6-10 a more likely outcome.

We're going to win a couple and lose a couple head scratchers going forward.

The positives I've seen from these "meh" performances have been the following:

We're deeper than I thought where Bakary looks to be a viable option off the bench
Springs has woken up and is becoming a solid contributor and not just a chucker (hasn't missed 10 in a row)
Nate can carry the team still
We're winning games where Lynch and Murphy spend vast minutes on the bench

We're not good, certainly not great, but we are improving. I know there are a bunch of people that will stand up and say "THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH", but the reality is we've got 2 years to grow with this squad seeing as the only guy we lose of consequence next year is Springs (if everyone behaves) and Pitino is getting a better sell story on the recruiting trail for next year.

I want them to be competitive in B1G 10 play, what EG#9 is describing could result in us not being competitive in a large volume of games, which cannot happen. Murphy was good in the B1G last year, I hope he can figure it out and do that again. Just by the fact that the supporting cast around him has improved, we should be able to at least compete.

I think Murph will be fine, he just needs to adjust to his role, has a lot more guys to play with this year and has Lynch in the middle with him. Plus I feel like most guys have a little sophomore slump. I would also say murph brings a lot more to the table than Joe Coleman did. I tend to trust guys who have proven it to figure their **** out

This team reminds me of some of the OSU teams that ran 8 deep at most and if possible they only played 7 players in each game. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many games like that for us(in BIG play) where Springs, Konate, and Curry are the only players off the bench getting any significant(>3mpg) minutes.

Like I said earlier, Gilbert and Hurt need to step up and help the depth.....hopefully.

Murphy has been/is a concern for me as well. Whereas McBrayer has elevated his game noticeably, Murphy seems to have regressed and I too noticed the body language against NJIT. Not good. He is not playing the game intelligently, despite being a highly intelligent young man. He lacks consistent concentration, which is apparent with his FT%

He needs to shoot MORE from the 15-18 ft range as well as the occasional three pointer to keep defenders honest. They are sagging on him and he is not making good decisions when driving into the lane.

I for one would like to see Michael Hurt play more. He makes smart decisive cuts and plays with a pace that this team sorely needs. Our offensive cuts/motion were very lackadaisical against NJIT. Hurt can bring things to this team this year.

I for one would like to see Michael Hurt play more. He makes smart decisive cuts and plays with a pace that this team sorely needs. Our offensive cuts/motion were very lackadaisical against NJIT. Hurt can bring things to this team this year.

+1. I also think once he gets that first 3 out of the way, he'll relax and be a good outside threat. Taking 1 every other game is tough.

Is Iowa bad enough this year that games against them don't count again? Someone check with Doogie...

We only get Iowa once, so we'll still have 17 conference games that count.

I don't think Hurt is ready. If Gophers stay healthy, I like the rotation the way it is. A lot of Springs and Curry, some Bakary, and a dash of Gilbert sprinkled in. Instead of Coach Mo's "play 8 trust 7", "play 9 trust 7" seems more apropos for this Gopher squad.

Hurt was in for one sequence against NJIT and he got beat badly off the dribble and that was it for the night, not even close to being ready on defense, he's pretty good offensively, shooting isn't the only thing he does well on that end of the court.

Top Bottom