Alright time for a fun thread, get to know your oppents school time

wsufan99

Reaction score
Mascot Cougars

Founded in 1891

Town was originally called Three Forks for the 2 creeks and river that met there. Was later named for George Pullman the train coach maker.

Original colors were pink and blue, yep really. Was done to match the sunsets. Glad someone fixed that.

2 most famous alums.

Edward R Murrow
Keith Jackson

elevation at top of campus 2610, town elevation 2316.

total population with students 31,000

75 miles from Spokane

300 miles from Seattle.

Had live cougar mascot that lived in a cage at the stadium until the late 70s. There is now a giant bronze cougar statute there.

Yes Ryan Leaf was an idiot in college too, but he took us to the 1st Rose Bowl in 67 years, could have burned the town down in 1997 if he wanted.

Busch Light is called Pullman Water(yep google it). At one time Dismores the local grocery store sold 5% of all Busch Light in America.

If you stand in the middle of campus and walk 3 miles in any direction, you will be in either a wheat, lentil or garbanzo bean field.

WSU was a land grant school and was partly chosen to be there as there is a huge aquifer under ground.

Area is called the Palouse and is 4000 square miles of pretty much rolling hilled farmland.

The Snake River is 18 miles away and has a great dune area where the students go the first couple of weeks of school if no football game in town.

By the time you are a senior you have cougar calves as everything is up a hill on campus.

One of the classic college bars in American is on greek row across street from campus, "The Coug". Only about 12ft deep and 30ft wide. Was even a question on College Jeopardy once.

Cougar Gold cheese from the Ferdinand's Creamery on campus is to die for good.

The WSU logo was created by a Student in 1938 and changed to it's current look by him in the 50's when WSU went from Washington State College to Washington State University. He never ever ask for a dime from the school.

When WSU wins a home football game there is a victory bell. It used to be on campus and would signal the town of a win, it now resides at the alumni center. It rings in C first, than G for Go Cougs.

Obviously the WSU flag on Gameday, amazing how it is done and began. I hope it never stops.

Those are just a few fun things off the top of my head

Thanks wsufan. All your posts lately about "cougars" has gotten me aroused!

wsufan99,

How long has WSU done "flag raising" before Home games?
I see Cracraft did it on Senior Day and was an exceptional choice given the circumstances.

Since you mentioned distinguished alumni I'd like to mention one of ours, Norman Borlaug, B.Sc 1937, Ph.D 1942. After war work with DuPont during WWII he took a job with the Cooperative Wheat Research and Production Program in Mexico. Although he often described himself as, a simple plant scientist his work was revolutionary, so much so that he won the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize. You might ask how does a simple plant scientist win the Nobel Peace Prize? As the father of the "Green Revolution" you could say he fed the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Since you mentioned distinguished alumni I'd like to mention one of ours, Norman Borlaug, B.Sc 1937, Ph.D 1942. After war work with DuPont during WWII he took a job with the Cooperative Wheat Research and Production Program in Mexico. Although he often described himself as, a simple plant scientist his work was revolutionary, so much so that he won the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize. You might ask how does a simple plant scientist win the Nobel Peace Prize? As the father of the "Green Revolution" you could say he fed the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

I work with his nephew as a tour guide in the summer and he (Borlaug) is part of our tour curriculum on our way out to D.C.. Dr. King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, and Norman Borlaug won Nobel Peace Prize, Presidential Medal of Freedom, and Congressional Gold Medal. He and Dave Bartelma (former Gophers Wrestling Coach and Norm's HS Coach as well) were major reasons for getting wrestling to the high schools in our state. Norman is a member of the MNWCA Hall of Fame, Iowa wrestling Hall of Fame, and National Wrestling Hall of Fame as well. Incredible human being who saved the lives of billions!

I like the beer statistic. Busch Light is incredibly popular in my hometown....Askov, MN....but not really anywhere else that I've seen or heard of until now. Most folks about start dry-heaving at the thought of drinking one.

I like the beer statistic. Busch Light is incredibly popular in my hometown....Askov, MN....but not really anywhere else that I've seen or heard of until now. Most folks about start dry-heaving at the thought of drinking one.

BLD was what got me thru high school. The price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked for a National Brewer doing "marketing audits" at retailers back in the 80's. They told us that Bid Light, Anheuser-Busch Natural Light and Busch Light were the same beer. They also told us not to mention it in the stores. Our job was to track floor space, cooler space and sales, not influence buyers.

Plenty of times a customer would walk past a floor display of Natural Light and say "I'd never drink that ____" and then walk to the cooler and buy Bud Light, at twice the price. ;)

Brewmaster at the old Schmidt Brewery in St.Paul, where G. Heileman brewed a LOT of beers. He told me they only had 5 recipes for all those beers.

Back to the WSU discussion.

You paint a pretty picture of Pullman aka Coug Town. I spend a weekend in Spokane this summer and I really enjoyed the scenery in that area.

A family bond that connects the Gophers and Cougars could be Mychal Thompson and his son Klay who played for the Gophers and Cougars respectively.

Worked for a National Brewer doing "marketing audits" at retailers back in the 80's. They told us that Bid Light, Anheuser-Busch Natural Light and Busch Light were the same beer. They also told us not to mention it in the stores. Our job was to track floor space, cooler space and sales, not influence buyers.

Plenty of times a customer would walk past a floor display of Natural Light and say "I'd never drink that ____" and then walk to the cooler and buy Bud Light, at twice the price. ;)

Brewmaster at the old Schmidt Brewery in St.Paul, where G. Heileman brewed a LOT of beers. He told me they only had 5 recipes for all those beers.

Back to the WSU discussion.

Completely agree with you. I never thought it was much different than most common beers. In my travels through the military, however, whenever beer came up (which was quite often) Busch Light was never spoken about positively. Of course these guys were from all over the country. The 5℅ stat just struck me. As Spoofin' mentioned, the price is right.

Okay wsufan99, permit me to brag a bit. You mentioned in another thread WSU being very good when it comes to academics. There appears to be some good similarities between our programs. Perhaps the most beautiful thing about U athletics is academics. Jerry Kill, like Mike Leach, was a disciplinarian and flipped football academics on its' head. It appears Tracy Claeys is serious too. We were once an embarrassment when it came to football and academics but now we rival the best in the country in all sports. Here's a recent snippet regarding last year's APR rankings:

"Overall, the University of Minnesota improved from fifth to fourth among FBS institutions with the highest percentage of teams earning APR Awards. This ranked behind only Stanford (17), Notre Dame (16) and Duke (15). Minnesota ranked first in the Big Ten with 14, while Northwestern followed closely with 12. The University of Minnesota was the highest among public institutions for the third straight year."

Both football and men's basketball had big turn arounds which helped contribute to the excellent academics overall for all athletic programs. It is nice to know WSU values the same things.

Worked for a National Brewer doing "marketing audits" at retailers back in the 80's. They told us that Bid Light, Anheuser-Busch Natural Light and Busch Light were the same...

...Plenty of times a customer would walk past a floor display of Natural Light and say "I'd never drink that ____"...

This is precisely the reason to always go high end which is why I always bought Keystone Light, unless of course they had a sale going on Old Milwaukee Light.

This is precisely the reason to always go high end which is why I always bought Keystone Light, unless of course they had a sale going on Old Milwaukee Light.

Old Milwaukee? Not even the best from that city. Heck, Milwaukee's best told you that on every can and you still missed it?

Many dirt race tracks in Southern MN sell it...beer in a bag.

BLD was what got me thru high school. The price is right.

Black Label for me...in returnables. Sometimes thought it was just colored water.

Just for perspective, consider if Minnesota had a Big Ten-size land grant university in Roseau. That's where Pullman, Washington is relative to the major population centers of the state

Just for perspective, consider if Minnesota had a Big Ten-size land grant university in Roseau. That's where Pullman, Washington is relative to the major population centers of the state

I think more Coleraine, which is about 75 miles from Duluth.

They'd have a heck of a hockey program.

Hey WSU, how's your hockey team? ;)

Mascot Cougars

Founded in 1891

Town was originally called Three Forks for the 2 creeks and river that met there. Was later named for George Pullman the train coach maker.

Original colors were pink and blue, yep really. Was done to match the sunsets. Glad someone fixed that.

2 most famous alums.

Edward R Murrow
Keith Jackson

elevation at top of campus 2610, town elevation 2316.

total population with students 31,000

75 miles from Spokane

300 miles from Seattle.

Had live cougar mascot that lived in a cage at the stadium until the late 70s. There is now a giant bronze cougar statute there.

Yes Ryan Leaf was an idiot in college too, but he took us to the 1st Rose Bowl in 67 years, could have burned the town down in 1997 if he wanted.

Busch Light is called Pullman Water(yep google it). At one time Dismores the local grocery store sold 5% of all Busch Light in America.

If you stand in the middle of campus and walk 3 miles in any direction, you will be in either a wheat, lentil or garbanzo bean field.

WSU was a land grant school and was partly chosen to be there as there is a huge aquifer under ground.

Area is called the Palouse and is 4000 square miles of pretty much rolling hilled farmland.

The Snake River is 18 miles away and has a great dune area where the students go the first couple of weeks of school if no football game in town.

By the time you are a senior you have cougar calves as everything is up a hill on campus.

One of the classic college bars in American is on greek row across street from campus, "The Coug". Only about 12ft deep and 30ft wide. Was even a question on College Jeopardy once.

Cougar Gold cheese from the Ferdinand's Creamery on campus is to die for good.

The WSU logo was created by a Student in 1938 and changed to it's current look by him in the 50's when WSU went from Washington State College to Washington State University. He never ever ask for a dime from the school.

When WSU wins a home football game there is a victory bell. It used to be on campus and would signal the town of a win, it now resides at the alumni center. It rings in C first, than G for Go Cougs.

Obviously the WSU flag on Gameday, amazing how it is done and began. I hope it never stops.

Those are just a few fun things off the top of my head

How can you bring up alumni and not mention Paul Allen (Microsoft, not KFAN/Vikings), Gary Larson (The Far Side), or Dolph Lundgren?!?

1410297211000-AP-Ryan-Leaf-Texas.jpg

Ryan-Leaf-out-of-prison-Montana.jpg

leaf-mug2-web.jpg

Go Gophers!!

I was wondering why you had a photo of some other guy in between two Ryan Leaf photos and then realized this is him as well. Yikes!

He was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He looked good. He talks freely about his past and is part of a group counseling others who have suffered from chemical abuse. Too a couple of funny stories too.

Okay wsufan99, permit me to brag a bit. You mentioned in another thread WSU being very good when it comes to academics. There appears to be some good similarities between our programs. Perhaps the most beautiful thing about U athletics is academics. Jerry Kill, like Mike Leach, was a disciplinarian and flipped football academics on its' head. It appears Tracy Claeys is serious too. We were once an embarrassment when it came to football and academics but now we rival the best in the country in all sports. Here's a recent snippet regarding last year's APR rankings:

"Overall, the University of Minnesota improved from fifth to fourth among FBS institutions with the highest percentage of teams earning APR Awards. This ranked behind only Stanford (17), Notre Dame (16) and Duke (15). Minnesota ranked first in the Big Ten with 14, while Northwestern followed closely with 12. The University of Minnesota was the highest among public institutions for the third straight year."

Both football and men's basketball had big turn arounds which helped contribute to the excellent academics overall for all athletic programs. It is nice to know WSU values the same things.

When Leach arrived the APR was so low that we lost scholarships, took 4 years to get back to a full 85.

How can you bring up alumni and not mention Paul Allen (Microsoft, not KFAN/Vikings), Gary Larson (The Far Side), or Dolph Lundgren?!?

Paul Allen never graduated from WSU, he blew town after 2 years and won't give us any money for athletics :)

Was not sure if all you knew about gary Larson, so did not bring it up. Oh yes and Dolph when he came to the US to learn English he ended up at WSU.

I was wondering why you had a photo of some other guy in between two Ryan Leaf photos and then realized this is him as well. Yikes!

I was a senior at WSU when Leaf took us to the Rose Bowl(was on the 6 year plan). He was in a couple of my room mates classes and we used to see him at the bars around town with his offensive lineman, guy was a big as they were.

He really was a jerk of a guy then and did not have many students who would say much nice about him as a person. Heard he was the same way in HS as a girl in my sister's sorority grew up with him in Montana.

Drugs are so horrible. Just before he was arrested the last time he was in Pullman for homecoming and I stood next to him at The Coug and talked to him for a few minutes. He looked great and was very friendly, said he had beaten the drug stuff and was moving on. He was in town to promote his book 596 Switch(named after the play they were going run as time ran our in the Rose Bowl loss to Michigan), we still have 1 second left by the way. About a month later he was arrested for the theft of prescription drugs and the bench warrant was reinstated for his charges our of Texas.

He never, ever should have left after his junior year, still think it would have done him wonders as he was so immature. I played against Drew Bledsoe in HS four times as we were in the same conference and he was amazing, some of the throws he made as a HS kids, good god, but Leaf he was absolutely amazing. He had it all, but the head.

Top Bottom