Holiday Bowl Festivities (please pin this thread)

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I will be posting all of the official Holiday Bowl activities planned by the Bowl and the University of Minnesota. I'm going to start with what I know and add to it as I go. If knows of additional activities, please respond in the thread and then I will edit this first post to keep all of the info in one place.

Here is what I have so far (all times Pacific Standard Time):

Monday 12/26 11:00 a.m. at Hilton San Diego Bayfront: Bank of America Kickoff Luncheon (limited to 1,200 people at $60/person or $600/table of 8). Includes a Battle of the Bands and players at each table. http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/product/kickoff-luncheon/

Monday 12/26 6:00 p.m. at Horton Plaza Park: Marching Band Showcase http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/holiday-bowl-marching-band-showcase/

Tuesday 12/27 9:45 a.m. downtown San Diego: Bumble Bee Seafoods 5K Run/Walk http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/events/parade/5k-run/

Tuesday 12/27 10:00 a.m. downtown San Diego: The Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/events/parade/

Tuesday 12/27 1:30 p.m. Qualcomm Stadium Parking Lot Section F1: VIP Tailgate Party (limited to 1,500 people at $60/ticket) http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/holiday-bowl-events/holiday-bowl-vip-tailgate-party/

Tuesday 12/27 4:00 p.m. Quallcom Stadium kickoff of the Holiday Bowl

Stay tuned, more to come

it appears there's a battle of the bands game day after the parade as well:
27th Battle of the Bands – Broadway Pier – 11:45 am (approximate)

As far as I am aware, given the itinerary we just received, all the battle of the Bands events feature the entirety of both bands! Be ready to cheer us to victory over the WSU Band!

As far as I am aware, given the itinerary we just received, all the battle of the Bands events feature the entirety of both bands! Be ready to cheer us to victory over the WSU Band!

Stay away from the flute players. We've had enough scandals.

I will be posting all of the official Holiday Bowl activities planned by the Bowl and the University of Minnesota. I'm going to start with what I know and add to it as I go. If knows of additional activities, please respond in the thread and then I will edit this first post to keep all of the info in one place.

Here is what I have so far (all times Pacific Standard Time):

Monday 12/26 11:00 a.m. at Hilton San Diego Bayfront: Bank of America Kickoff Luncheon (limited to 1,200 people at $60/person or $600/table of 8). Includes a Battle of the Bands and players at each table. http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/product/kickoff-luncheon/

Monday 12/26 6:00 p.m. at Horton Plaza Park: Marching Band Showcase http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/holiday-bowl-marching-band-showcase/

Tuesday 12/27 9:45 a.m. downtown San Diego: Bumble Bee Seafoods 5K Run/Walk http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/events/parade/5k-run/

Tuesday 12/27 10:00 a.m. downtown San Diego: The Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/events/parade/

Tuesday 12/27 1:30 p.m. Qualcomm Stadium Parking Lot Section F1: VIP Tailgate Party (limited to 1,500 people at $60/ticket) http://www.sandiegobowlgames.com/holiday-bowl-events/holiday-bowl-vip-tailgate-party/

Tuesday 12/27 4:00 p.m. Quallcom Stadium kickoff of the Holiday Bowl

Stay tuned, more to come

Hope all that attend have a great time! Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will they have a holiday T..

According to Wikipedia, they have "almost 200" members, so I'll expect you guys to blow them away, both in terms of numbers and talent! :)

Bowl Game Activities

I hate to rain on the good times everyone has had over the past week, but I have reservations for Orange County, Anaheim, Disneyland, and San Diego.....

Looking at the Holiday Bowl parade; anybody have any knowledge for it & is planning on going? I've been to the Rose Bowl parade and while I would never have those type of expectations for the Holiday Bowl, the parade seems like a good one from what I've seen. Has anybody heard anything in regards to that?

Is there any game day activities, other than the Holiday Bowl VIP tailgate planned?

According to Wikipedia, they have "almost 200" members, so I'll expect you guys to blow them away, both in terms of numbers and talent! :)

Don't worry your band will blow ours into the Ocean. You can thank the old band director that they finally chased out town 2 years ago when he thankfully retired. Goodness the guy was there for like 30 plus year and it was to the point 3 years where it looked like a HS band our there, just absolutely horrible. Old crappy unis, same percussion equipment since like 2003, gold tubas when your school uses silver in some stuff. No one, I mean no one stayed at the half to watch that circus.

Biggest problem is WSU does not have an actual school of music, so attracting people for the band is hard. They are pretty much just good HS musicians that actually get paid through a work study program to be in the band each semester, basically it is like a buck a day.

The new guy came from the University of Houston 2 years ago and he has really improved them, it is like night and day. New unis, nice percussion equipment, silver tubas, a flag team, baton twirler, stuff like that.

From the welcome back to Pullman Parade/Lentil Festival the weekend before school, and yes before you ask that is the entire downtown in Pullman 3 blocks, it is truly that small. Looks like 1950's Mayberry and you expect Barney Fife to be walking down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jrAmYfAIU4

Looking at the Holiday Bowl parade; anybody have any knowledge for it & is planning on going? I've been to the Rose Bowl parade and while I would never have those type of expectations for the Holiday Bowl, the parade seems like a good one from what I've seen.

I've not been to the parade, but it is billed as "America's Largest Balloon Parade" and by that I think they mean number of balloons.

there's the bumble bee 5k at 9:45 am gameday for runners. flat course all downtown and much along the harbor. Harbor Dr. & Ash St. is the starting line. it finishes in a park and says there will be music at the finish. $40 same day entry

battle of the bands after the parade broadway pier, about 11:45AM

personally, the wife and I are planning on hitting Old Town for lunch before the game. then trolley old town to qualcomm

Well isn't this interesting ...Only a few left of the stadium club tickets ( 105.00 EA,) I called to see if tickets could be picked up at will call seeing as we're in Arizona and If there was a ticket donation for the students. A agent said only a few refunds were issued and actually in the last couple of days a spike up in sales. Good to hear

The balloons

I've not been to the parade, but it is billed as "America's Largest Balloon Parade" and by that I think they mean number of balloons.

there's the bumble bee 5k at 9:45 am gameday for runners. flat course all downtown and much along the harbor. Harbor Dr. & Ash St. is the starting line. it finishes in a park and says there will be music at the finish. $40 same day entry

battle of the bands after the parade broadway pier, about 11:45AM

personally, the wife and I are planning on hitting Old Town for lunch before the game. then trolley old town to qualcomm

The balloon parade has a lot of local volunteers that carry these large balloons familiar characters (Think Macy's but not quite as big) along the parade route towards the harbor. There are quite a few bands in the parade even from out of state because of the battle of bands thing on the broadway pier,(If you like loud music it is kind of cool) and the vacation aspect usually nice weather brings a lot of groups to the parade not just locals. The parade is televised. The bumble bee 5K happens along the parade route with a lot of people wearing costumes before the parade. Each participating school get's a float with the cheer squads on it and behind with the mascot riding the float, and the marching band will be right behind the schools float. I thought it was a fun aspect. Saw a lot of red because Nebraska was playing USC when I was their so there a ton of USC fans at the parade and at all of the events I attended around town.

after Battle of the Bands, and from MyGopherSports:

'Sota Social

Monday, December 26 - 7:00pm

Union Kitchen & Tap, 333 5th Ave., San Diego
Join alumni and fans to get in the spirit, with appearances by the Spirit Squad, Goldy and more. Free event, food and drink on your own.

Taji34, in addition to the 3 aforementioned "Battle of the Bands", is there anything else we will want to be aware of from a UMMB perspective?
Thanks!

Qualcomm no umbrellas. Just a heads up. Game day is looking good now, sunny. If the forecast changes just note that umbrellas are not allowed in Qualcomm - as BYU and Wyoming fans are finding out today

Just signed up for the tailgate sponsored by the U of M Alumni Association. Anyone else signed up?

Oh we plan to. We have some fun songs that we can blast lined up. We like to play loud.

Don't worry your band will blow ours into the Ocean. You can thank the old band director that they finally chased out town 2 years ago when he thankfully retired. Goodness the guy was there for like 30 plus year and it was to the point 3 years where it looked like a HS band our there, just absolutely horrible. Old crappy unis, same percussion equipment since like 2003, gold tubas when your school uses silver in some stuff. No one, I mean no one stayed at the half to watch that circus.

Biggest problem is WSU does not have an actual school of music, so attracting people for the band is hard. They are pretty much just good HS musicians that actually get paid through a work study program to be in the band each semester, basically it is like a buck a day.

The new guy came from the University of Houston 2 years ago and he has really improved them, it is like night and day. New unis, nice percussion equipment, silver tubas, a flag team, baton twirler, stuff like that.

From the welcome back to Pullman Parade/Lentil Festival the weekend before school, and yes before you ask that is the entire downtown in Pullman 3 blocks, it is truly that small. Looks like 1950's Mayberry and you expect Barney Fife to be walking down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jrAmYfAIU4

It's funny you mention that. Music majors make up less than 10% of our band here, we have over 100 different majors represented in the band (I, for example, am a Computer Science major). Does get tough when you have someone there for 30 years who isn't doing the right thing for the program. But it does go both ways, Wisconsin's Director has been there for about 35 years, but he's done all the right things for their band. The school loves them. They have plenty of money for instruments, scholarships, travel, etc. Plus they're pre-pregame show outside the stadium is packed to the brim!

Either way, may the best band win!

Taji34, in addition to the 3 aforementioned "Battle of the Bands", is there anything else we will want to be aware of from a UMMB perspective?
Thanks!

From what I remember from the itinerary, we're in the parade on gameday at the pier, and we will be preforming at a few different tailgates before the game (not just the VIP tailgate!), but that's about it. The Battle of the Bands are the real big band things it seems.

Oh we plan to. We have some fun songs that we can blast lined up. We like to play loud.

It's funny you mention that. Music majors make up less than 10% of our band here, we have over 100 different majors represented in the band (I, for example, am a Computer Science major). Does get tough when you have someone there for 30 years who isn't doing the right thing for the program. But it does go both ways, Wisconsin's Director has been there for about 35 years, but he's done all the right things for their band. The school loves them. They have plenty of money for instruments, scholarships, travel, etc. Plus they're pre-pregame show outside the stadium is packed to the brim!

Either way, may the best band win!

From what I remember from the itinerary, we're in the parade on gameday at the pier, and we will be preforming at a few different tailgates before the game (not just the VIP tailgate!), but that's about it. The Battle of the Bands are the real big band things it seems.
Was "Let's Go Crazy" a new addition? I don't recall hearing it before, but admittedly, I'm not at every game.

Was "Let's Go Crazy" a new addition? I don't recall hearing it before, but admittedly, I'm not at every game.
We played it during our first halftime, and have played it many times during our Post-Game shows throughout the season. We also played it during our indoor concert on Thanksgiving weekend.

Due to the length of it, and the ever increasing videos played by the booth, we rarely have time for a full length song so we only played it at most 2 times during breaks in games. During the bowl game the bands get a lot of time to play, so expect to hear it again during the game!

Top Bottom