***OFFICIAL NJIT AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Mason had also me nice offensive plays at the end. He has stepped up when needed. Off night for Murphy for sure.

Has Stephon Sharp seen much action this year? McBrayer with two nice FTs but I wonder if Sharp would match up better against larger guards.

I think we tried that one out last year -- let's stick with Dupree. Although we were able to keep it within 33 vs the Illini in the tourney last year with his guidance.

I think we tried that one out last year -- let's stick with Dupree. Although we were able to keep it within 33 vs the Illini in the tourney last year with his guidance.

Haha got it. I remember playing some good minutes early in his stint, I guess I forgot how it ended.

Haha got it. I remember playing some good minutes early in his stint, I guess I forgot how it ended.

You're right he did start out well vs Wisconsin except for being turnover happy. Not bad for the spot he was in but I don't think he'll be getting any run with all guards available.

NJIT made a lot of tough shots, they are not a bad team, the only really bad loss that they have is to Georgia State, they lost to Layfayette by 1 point but it was the first game of the season and Purdue was only up 3 at half in their meeting.

The things that stand out for me was the fact they got beat to many times in face up 1 on 1 defense, Curry and Murphy repeatedly got beat all night off the dribble. Good win to get in my mind.

NJIT is not good, gophers did not play well. I am glad we pulled out the win. Lots of places to improve before December 27th. The most concerning thing to me is how we consistently come out slow and put ourselves in a hole. At a certain point it may cost a game if we do not correct that. I will say one positive is how Springs has improved. He is not forcing as many shots up and is playing good defense.

Gametime

My analysis of the game (totally unfounded and strictly my opinion).

Mason
One of the best all around games he has ever played. His defense on one of the highest scoring players in the NCAA was tight. Lynn shot 5/24. If my math is correct, that's barely 20% (yes a bit above) and on threes, he shot 2/15 for a .13% ratio. For someone with Lynn's offensive prowess, that was one hell of a defensive performance. Oh, and Nate also threw in 18 on 7/11 and 4/5 on threes. Not a bad night for the guy! MVP tonight, no questions asked.

Coffey
Coffey had a pretty pedestrian night but still managed 13pts 8 reb and 3 assists. After his three point shot was blocked in the first half, I thought he became a little passive. He still wound up making it to the free throw line a bunch and knocked down most of his shots (9/11).

Murph
Jordan's play of late is a bit concerning. He seems to be forcing it every chance he gets. Many possessions wind up as a turnover, or a wild shot. If MN is going to make a run in the B10 schedule, they need him to relax and take what comes!

Konate
I know Konate gets a lot of sh** on here, but these last two games, he played a huge role and came through for the team. No, he isn't an offensive juggernaut, but his defense and rebounding has been huge. Props to BK and I am glad to see how much he has progressed since his Fr year. He also is the most energetic player on the team, whether he is on the floor or not. Several times I noticed him jump to the court from the bench, waving a towel when his teammates were performing well on the court. Love his attitude!

Overall
There is no way in hell we win that game last year. It, much like the Vandy game, was quite ugly at times. Glad we got a win in a game we seemingly did not get up for. A win is a win and I certainly will take it! GO GOPHERS!!!!

This team will be both exciting and frustrating to watch. Look really good at times, then do a lot of dumb things.

The most concerning thing to me is how we consistently come out slow and put ourselves in a hole.

Was it the 12-4 lead we had four minutes into the game or the fact we never trailed by more than three points that leads you to think we came out slow and dug ourselves a hole?

game

Great take. I would add that Lynch is a monster on defense and pretty good on the boards. He was dominant on the box early also. Murphy is having a sophmore slump and we aren't to the big ten season yet! He should never play the high post, he is a bad passer, he shouldnt shoot 3's this year. His bread and butter should be rebounding and taking slower players to the hoop from 10 feet in.

Mason
One of the best all around games he has ever played. His defense on one of the highest scoring players in the NCAA was tight. Lynn shot 5/24. If my math is correct, that's barely 20% (yes a bit above) and on threes, he shot 2/15 for a .13% ratio. For someone with Lynn's offensive prowess, that was one hell of a defensive performance. Oh, and Nate also threw in 18 on 7/11 and 4/5 on threes. Not a bad night for the guy! MVP tonight, no questions asked.

Coffey
Coffey had a pretty pedestrian night but still managed 13pts 8 reb and 3 assists. After his three point shot was blocked in the first half, I thought he became a little passive. He still wound up making it to the free throw line a bunch and knocked down most of his shots (9/11).

Murph
Jordan's play of late is a bit concerning. He seems to be forcing it every chance he gets. Many possessions wind up as a turnover, or a wild shot. If MN is going to make a run in the B10 schedule, they need him to relax and take what comes!

Konate
I know Konate gets a lot of sh** on here, but these last two games, he played a huge role and came through for the team. No, he isn't an offensive juggernaut, but his defense and rebounding has been huge. Props to BK and I am glad to see how much he has progressed since his Fr year. He also is the most energetic player on the team, whether he is on the floor or not. Several times I noticed him jump to the court from the bench, waving a towel when his teammates were performing well on the court. Love his attitude!

Overall
There is no way in hell we win that game last year. It, much like the Vandy game, was quite ugly at times. Glad we got a win in a game we seemingly did not get up for. A win is a win and I certainly will take it! GO GOPHERS!!!!

Thanks! And I agree about Lynch. He played well when he wasn't on the bench because of foul trouble. I also could have mentioned something about how well Springs played, but my fingers got tired and I didn't want to put anyone to sleep...........

Mason

Coffey

Murph

Konate

Overall

I agree about Mason, Coffey, Murphy and Konate. Lynch's blocked shots are definite momentum boosts! Murphy has not played well or looked comfortable all season. Springs is important!

Something is wrong with Murphy. I'll with hold judgement until the end of the non con season. He has been, other than this game, effective defender and rebounder.

He needs to be high motor Murphy and quit worrying about creating for himself.

Something is wrong with Murphy. I'll with hold judgement until the end of the non con season. He has been, other than this game, effective defender and rebounder.

this.

Mason

Coffey

Murph

Konate

Overall

great analysis. good read.

And he needs to concentrate on keeping his hands to himself. A post player has no business getting touchy fouls at the top of the key.

And he needs to concentrate on keeping his hands to himself. A post player has no business getting touchy fouls at the top of the key.

He is also averaging two turnovers/game that seemingly most of the time are just stupid travels at the top of the key. He needs to SLOOOWWWWWW down.

You're right he did start out well vs Wisconsin except for being turnover happy. Not bad for the spot he was in but I don't think he'll be getting any run with all guards available.

Under the circumstances sharp was alright, a walk on wing playing the starting PG role in the Big Ten, what could possiblygo wrong? I do think in a pinch Sharp could play back up minutes at the 2 0r 3 if were injured, but no more than 5-7 minutes

He just looks really frustrated.

Watched the game on DVR and honestly didn't think we played all that bad. Think defensive rotation was a bit goofy and the offense wasn't very crisp but it never felt like they were just playing terribly. They just couldn't play consistently at a high level to put distance between them

What was the deal with the shot selection by Lynn for NJIT? If he just takes good shots, they may have won. He was 5 of 24 last night from the field. 2 of 15 from 3.

Some of the shots he took had virtually no chance of going in.

Was it the 12-4 lead we had four minutes into the game or the fact we never trailed by more than three points that leads you to think we came out slow and dug ourselves a hole?

No I think it was the fact that we were down by 2 four minutes later and that was our biggest lead until a minute left in the game. I mean if you think we came out fast tonight, I don't want to see what coming out slow is. NJIT is ranked 247 in RPI and 207 on Kenpom so the fact that we needed a three to be up 2 at half and comeback in the final 5 minutes against the T.H.E New Jersey Institute of Technology are all reasons I think we came back a little slow. Not to mention in all of our big games (vandy, arkansas, st. johns) we have came out slow only to have big run to put us up are also reasons.

Just watched the replay of the game. Did anyone catch Lewis from NJIT give the crowd the middle finger when he fouled out??? The Barnyard was giving him the "left, right, left, right" and when he sat down he gave them the bird. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the replay of the game. Did anyone catch Lewis from NJIT give the crowd the middle finger when he fouled out??? The Barnyard was giving him the "left, right, left, right" and when he sat down he gave them the bird. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone posted a picture on twitter. I didn't notic during the game. When Murphy fouled out, I thought it looked like he was trying to subtly give someone the finger the way he was resting his head in his hand haha

Someone posted a picture on twitter. I didn't notic during the game. When Murphy fouled out, I thought it looked like he was trying to subtly give someone the finger the way he was resting his head in his hand haha
I saw that too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Watched the game on DVR and honestly didn't think we played all that bad. Think defensive rotation was a bit goofy and the offense wasn't very crisp but it never felt like they were just playing terribly. They just couldn't play consistently at a high level to put distance between them
I think NJITs Princeton offense caused some of the rotational problems. Add to that the kids seemed to take NJIT too lightly and you get a close game.

Top Bottom