Malik Zaire

Plinnius

Reaction score
Notre Dame graduate transfer quarterback Malik Zaire is planning visits to Wisconsin and North Carolina this week, a source told ESPN.com Monday.

Zaire's planned visits were first reported by IrishIllustrated.com and confirmed by ESPN.

Zaire, who is expected to graduate this month and said last week he will play his fifth season elsewhere, is expected to visit the Badgers on Wednesday and the Tar Heels on Friday.

UNC redshirt junior quarterback Mitch Trubisky has another year of eligibility, but he could declare early for the draft, as he is Todd McShay's No. 1 quarterback prospect.

Pittsburgh is also in the running for Zaire's services, the source said, while adding that Auburn expressed some initial interest but would be a long shot given Zaire's desire to avoid a zone-read offense in favor of a pro-style set.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...planning-wisconsin-north-carolina-visits-week

Notre Dame graduate transfer quarterback Malik Zaire is planning visits to Wisconsin and North Carolina this week, a source told ESPN.com Monday.

Zaire's planned visits were first reported by IrishIllustrated.com and confirmed by ESPN.

Zaire, who is expected to graduate this month and said last week he will play his fifth season elsewhere, is expected to visit the Badgers on Wednesday and the Tar Heels on Friday.

UNC redshirt junior quarterback Mitch Trubisky has another year of eligibility, but he could declare early for the draft, as he is Todd McShay's No. 1 quarterback prospect.

Pittsburgh is also in the running for Zaire's services, the source said, while adding that Auburn expressed some initial interest but would be a long shot given Zaire's desire to avoid a zone-read offense in favor of a pro-style set.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...planning-wisconsin-north-carolina-visits-week

It's going to be Wisconsin.

Does being Todd McShay's No. 1 quarterback prospect really mean anything? #LeidnerInThe1stRound

Go UNC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate this. The graduate transfer rule is just another way for the rich to get richer in college athletics. It's an absolute farce how many of these "student" athletes show up, do barely anything academically beyond the minimum required to stay eligible, play out their season, then promptly leave school.

I'll feel this way until MN gets a big-time transfer. Then I'll love the rule.

Hate this. The graduate transfer rule is just another way for the rich to get richer in college athletics. It's an absolute farce how many of these "student" athletes show up, do barely anything academically beyond the minimum required to stay eligible, play out their season, then promptly leave school.

Say that to Akeem Springs brother's face.

Totally disagree. This rule rewards kids who actually ARE student-athletes and have proven it by earning their degree in 4 years. They should have the right to transfer and play wherever they want.

In a system where the coaches and administrators have all the power, this is a rare case of the NCAA getting something right.

These guys actually have to graduate, so your second sentence does not really apply for these guys.

It also helps lesser programs quite a bit. Notre Dame wasn't very good this year but he is looking at North Carolina (you'd have to consider them a lesser program than Notre Dame).

There are also quite a few QBs who went to lesser or equal programs.

Gophers have needed a top tier QB every year for ten years. Other schools seem to get them.

Wonder

absolutely; this is where their competitive advantage hamstrings us- drinking culture

If it is down to Wisconsin and UNC, wonder which school will dole out the most dough to get him. It's going to come down to who has the biggest suitcase.

Totally disagree. This rule rewards kids who actually ARE student-athletes and have proven it by earning their degree in 4 years. They should have the right to transfer and play wherever they want.

In a system where the coaches and administrators have all the power, this is a rare case of the NCAA getting something right.

These guys actually have to graduate, so your second sentence does not really apply for these guys.

It also helps lesser programs quite a bit. Notre Dame wasn't very good this year but he is looking at North Carolina (you'd have to consider them a lesser program than Notre Dame).

There are also quite a few QBs who went to lesser or equal programs.

I totally respect your reasoning, and I think that's why the NCAA initially instituted the rule. But we definitely disagree on this...which is OK.

Less than 1/3 of these graduate transfers in MBB and FB earn a graduate degree. In my experience (and it's only that -- my experience), many of them randomly pick a graduate program that's not offered at their home institution simply to get around the NCAA rules. They then do the minimum to stay eligible and drop out once their season ends. The SEC even banned graduate transfers a few years ago for this reason, although they recently backtracked on this and added the stipulation that students must "make progress towards a degree" or their program will be punished.

It's an even bigger problem in MBB, where mid-major schools have become feeders for larger schools by finding low-level prospects, coaching them up for 4 years, keeping them on track academically, and then losing them in their 5th year when they could make huge contributions. They can also rarely recruit graduate transfers themselves, as these smaller schools are unlikely to offer graduate degrees that also aren't offered at other institutions.

I understand wanting to "reward" kids who have done it the right way, earned a degree, and maybe been underplayed/undervalued at their home institution. But I guess I'd argue that their reward was a free Bachelor's degree, in addition to 4 years of coaching, strength training, medical care, meals, etc. What we have now is simply a collegiate form of free agency, which I don't like.

I understand wanting to "reward" kids who have done it the right way, earned a degree, and maybe been underplayed/undervalued at their home institution. But I guess I'd argue that their reward was a free Bachelor's degree, in addition to 4 years of coaching, strength training, medical care, meals, etc. What we have now is simply a collegiate form of free agency, which I don't like.

Agreed that it is a collegiate form of free agency. I just happen to be totally fine with this stuff assuming that the player has indeed graduated in four years.

I have a really hard time moralizing this stuff considering head coaches are free to break contracts, jump from school to school etc all the time without sitting out whereas players are forced to sit for a season.

I totally respect your reasoning, and I think that's why the NCAA initially instituted the rule. But we definitely disagree on this...which is OK.

Less than 1/3 of these graduate transfers in MBB and FB earn a graduate degree. In my experience (and it's only that -- my experience), many of them randomly pick a graduate program that's not offered at their home institution simply to get around the NCAA rules. They then do the minimum to stay eligible and drop out once their season ends. The SEC even banned graduate transfers a few years ago for this reason, although they recently backtracked on this and added the stipulation that students must "make progress towards a degree" or their program will be punished.

It's an even bigger problem in MBB, where mid-major schools have become feeders for larger schools by finding low-level prospects, coaching them up for 4 years, keeping them on track academically, and then losing them in their 5th year when they could make huge contributions. They can also rarely recruit graduate transfers themselves, as these smaller schools are unlikely to offer graduate degrees that also aren't offered at other institutions.

Oh yeah, I think the grad program is a sham for most of these players. I just meant, these are not individuals who just did enough to stay eligible. They earned degrees.

For the graduate degrees, I agree, most of them are just choosing to play football somewhere. For those that are NFL bound, I even question if they EVER go to class for their grad programs. You can pick a grad program that is nothing except for a final paper (they don't grade attendance in a grad program). So a player like Russell Wilson, if he picked the "right" grad program, could swing it so that he never has to step foot on campus at UW. I'm not saying that is what he did, but he certainly could.

So yeah, I agree, a lot of these players aren't really concerned about their prospective graduate degrees. I just wanted to point out that these people did graduate from college (so they did more than just the minimum to stay eligible).

I think you and I just see the situation differently. I am all for any rules that give the athletes more flexibility and choices, I understand where you're coming from, but we just see it differently.

It's interesting that Zaire hasn't decided on a landing spot yet. My guess (and the most recent buzz) is Florida, but they need to get a rule changed (they're banned from accepting grad transfers currently because they broke some rules a couple years ago).

But hey, he follows Rodney Smith on Twitter so I'm pretty sure we have an awesome shot at him.

It's interesting that Zaire hasn't decided on a landing spot yet. My guess (and the most recent buzz) is Florida, but they need to get a rule changed (they're banned from accepting grad transfers currently because they broke some rules a couple years ago).

But hey, he follows Rodney Smith on Twitter so I'm pretty sure we have an awesome shot at him.

Yeah I think the delay is clearly for Florida and the rule change.

Top Bottom