Guesses at bowl attendence?

Taji34

Reaction score
Anyone have any guesses as to how many Gopher Fans will be at the Holiday Bowl this year? Does anyone remember how many tickets were sold last year? How about the year before? I don't think we'll reach Orlando levels of attendance, but I think we'll blow last year out of the water. I think we sell out our initial allotment and get more tickets.

Well attendance / interest is down... on the other hand San Diego.

Right, but I think San Diego will still pull more than Detroit.

That's what I meant by "on the other hand", attendance is down, but San Diego will certainly create some draw.

i think 5-7k gopher fans will be at the game.

San Diego will obviously be a bigger draw than Detroit. But enthusiasm is way down compared to where we were going into Orlando two years ago, and airfare to San Diego is astronomical. I would be thrilled if we sold our 7,000 allotment, but I don't see it happening. We'll get a decent number of SoCal transplants to attend, and maybe a few snowbirds from Arizona, but those won't show up in the official numbers.

Meanwhile, Wazzu basically sold out its allotment in 24 hours, so we will definitely be outnumbered.

Thinking in the 10-15K range. It's a great destination and a quality/visible bowl and opponent.

The snowbird's will be coming out of the woodwork. There's actually a Minnesota Club out here in Green Valley, Arizona. Plus, you've Phoenix and Tucson. We may not sell 7,000 tickets through the U, but I bet there will be at least 10,000 Gopher fans.. A buddy of mine in Vegas is driving and taking 3 friends.

i think USC wisconsin last year drew 48000, so this game might be closer to 35000. Maybe 5K for the U - my wife and I will be two of them

5 hours from Phoenix
6.5 hours from Tucson
5 hours from Vegas
3 hours from Santa Clarita/Valencia (the northernmost part of LA County)

Lots of chances for alumni to drive to the game.

I was at the Citrus Bowl. The official attendance was 48,624. I don't know how many fans officially bought their tickets through the U of M ticket office. My estimate, however, is that 50% of the fans (24,000+) were Gopher fans, 40% of the fans (19,000) were Mizzou fans and 10% (5,000) were neutral.

My guess for the Holiday Bowl is 8-10,000 official tickets sold through the U of M ticket office and another 3-5,000 through ticketmaster or directly from the Bowl's website.

Gophers will sell out allotment with snowbirds and So Cal alumni strong. Last year's HB had worst attendance in game history as Badger fans stayed away. 55,000.

San Diego will obviously be a bigger draw than Detroit. But enthusiasm is way down compared to where we were going into Orlando two years ago, and airfare to San Diego is astronomical. I would be thrilled if we sold our 7,000 allotment, but I don't see it happening. We'll get a decent number of SoCal transplants to attend, and maybe a few snowbirds from Arizona, but those won't show up in the official numbers.

Meanwhile, Wazzu basically sold out its allotment in 24 hours, so we will definitely be outnumbered.

WSU has a huge alumni base in California, southern Nevada and the Phoenix/Tuscon area, they should suck up a ton of tickets as those areas are car friendly. I think there are about 25,000 alums living within a car ride of San Diego. WSU sold about 5000 tickets by 10AM yesterday to just season ticket holders and athletic fund members. The rest went on sale to today to the general public. I would not be shocked to see 15,000 there. This is our first decent bowl since our last trip in 2003 there. Our last 2 bowls have been in Albuquerque and El Paso in a frickikn' snow storm. I went to both and they sold around 6000 in 2013 and about 5000 to El Paso last year.

If you can afford the flights and get a ticket why would you not want to go as Pacific Beach and La Jolla in Dec>Seattle and Minneapolis

My college roommates sister just moved there like 4 months ago so all I need is a flight, pretty nice.

Creative Charter apparently filled one plane already, they're loading another. So there's that, heh

If you can afford the flights and get a ticket why would you not want to go as Pacific Beach and La Jolla in Dec>Seattle and Minneapolis

Absolutely. I've got my flights and hotel booked, but I am also realistic about the challenges facing others who would be interested in attending. December 27th is also kinda tough, having to fly the day after Christmas for a Tuesday game - the 29th or 30th would've been been easier and you could make a long weekend out of it.

Per out ticket office 5 minutes ago.

This was the pre-sale for Season ticket holders and Athletic Donors only. I would not be shocked if WSU brings 15,000 or more.

WSU Cougars ‏@WSUCougars · 2m2 minutes ago

CAF members bought all 7,000 @HolidayBowlGame tickets! Lucky for you we have 1,000 extra!! Get yours now: http://bit.ly/2h3iMqO
#GoCougs

I bought four tickets in section 2 for the family. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it is safe to assume our fans at the game are going to be significantly outnumbered by WSU fans but hopefully we still draw a decent crowd. Wish we were in a position to go because San Diego is awesome.

I have 5 tickets, plane and hotel booked, ready to go. I also have many friends in CA, they have lots of WSU fans coming from Pulman.

Top Bottom