Chip on U attendance: Coyle, football program have a lot of work to repair disconnect

He was probably about 45 years older than me, but Rod Wallace, the "Cannon Man" is someone that I will respect and miss. Rod was the man who built the Thunderbird on 494 that was demolished just this year. For anyone that was never in the "Tomahawk Lounge" bar when a North Star game or big concert was pending, will not know how great it was.

I did not ever meet Rod Wallace, but he was like many of us, a long lost Gopher fan, hoping his team would again return to glory. He probably was in attendance at the '61 and '62 Rose Bowls and was tying to keep the hope alive before he died, but I am not sure about that.

I do know that my dad, a 1961 graduate, was at the 1961 Rose Bowl and rode the train to CA on the official train, and he stayed on that train until we put him in the ground this year. I really hoped the Kill era would bring him back there, and the 2014 game in Madison might have been that bridge to take him there. Oh well, at least he got to Orlando for one day. He was in good health until a month before he died and watching the team play in the sun again in Orlando made him happy. I am sure he would found a way to get to San Diego this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzEf_JU1Fw

P.S. The band had much better, longer pregame show in Detroit last year. I hope they get more time again this year.

http://www.ummbvideo.com/newummbvideo/20151228Pregame.html

'

Sadly, the Holiday Bowl only gives 5 1/2 minutes to each Marching Band for pregame, which is about 2 minutes shorter than what we got in Detriot. Our Pregame show will be very similar, if not identical to our show in Orlando: http://www.ummbvideo.com/newummbvideo/20150101CitrusBowlPregame.html. Made me sad to find that out, but the bowl this year is very pro-band. Lots of events for us to play at (even a Battle of the Bands!), nice hotel to stay at, etc. The band coordinator for the bowl marched at Ohio State, so they make sure the bands are well treated, though they probably had little to no say in how long each band got for Pregame.

They really need to ramp up marketing to a younger, family crowd. The 30 something crowd is really lacking. We took the Creative Charters plan to Colorado last year and I bet the average age on the two flight's was in the early 60s . These people are starting to die off. He'll, Creative Charters even had a registered nurse on board. My wife said she would roll back prices to the first year of TCF. She also said Minnesotans are big on " Giveaways ' She would do something along those lines for the non-conference dogs. She has a lot of great idea's, but you guys always accuse me of tooting my horn, so we'll leave it at that.

You want them to market to 30-somethings, yet you want them to play music from 20-30 years before they were born? Makes sense!

"The biggest wussy on the planet, LessBolstad, called me out on matter surrounding this fiasco and boldly waged a bet that he totally puzzied out when I took him up on it. The mods even blocked a thread I started related to this matter and played the troll card on me. Not that any of this really matter, just say'in."

Oooo, that hurts! Biggest wussy on the planet? What are you, 12? Wanna fight after school under the water tower? Incidentally, from the very start of the whole seat "donation" thing I said it was going to be a fiasco (and it has been). .

You want them to market to 30-somethings, yet you want them to play music from 20-30 years before they were born? Makes sense!

It actually makes a lot of sense. Those 30-somethings listened to that very music strapped in car seats. It stretches to 20somethings too. Have you been there when the whole place, led by the student section, sings Living on a Prayer, or pretty much any 80s arena rock song? One of the most popular songs in the band the last couple years is Immigrant Song by Led Zep.

Top Bottom