PiPress: Could Gophers men’s basketball start the season 12-1?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

Last season, the Gophers men’s basketball team needed 27 games over four months to secure their eighth and final victory in one of the program’s worst campaigns in modern history.

While fans surely expected an improved product after such a dismal season, the 2016-17 Gophers seemingly have outdone themselves. A win Tuesday night over New Jersey Institute of Technology would improve Minnesota’s record to 8-1, matching their victory total of all of last season in fewer than four weeks’ time.

“We (would) cut down the nets,” coach Richard Pitino joked.

While the fourth-year coach was being facetious, matching last season’s win total so early in the season is one example of how far and fast this team has come.

What would it really mean to Pitino?

“Nothing,” he countered.

Nothing?

“It would mean that last year was not a good year,” Pitino said. “The goal is not to top last year. I think it’s such a different team. I get your point, but if I were looking at the exact same team from last year, I could say, ‘OK, guys, (good job).’ But we’ve got five new players.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/0...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1480991074

Go Gophers!!

Probably but it doesn't mean much. We haven't faced a tournament team yet and I doubt anyone we have played are RPI 100 teams.

Florida State and UT Arlington could definitely make the tournament and Arkansas has a shot. FSU and Arkansas are also likely RPI top 100 teams. Vanderbilt, St. John's, could be too.

Florida State and UT Arlington could definitely make the tournament and Arkansas has a shot. FSU and Arkansas are also likely RPI top 100 teams. Vanderbilt, St. John's, could be too.

With their Texas win and their conference schedule likely leading to a lot of victories UT Arlington might end up top 100

Probably but it doesn't mean much. We haven't faced a tournament team yet and I doubt anyone we have played are RPI 100 teams.

FSU and Texas Arlington are safely in Lunardi's bracket, us and Arkansas are on the bubble. Surprise it took you this long to take your troll talents to the hoops board, but I guess you have enough downtime before the Holiday bowl

It would be a disappointment if they don't go 12-1 now that they are past all the big name schools. Northern is the only decent school left.

CBS RPI has FS 26 , UT Arlington 41

It would be a disappointment if they don't go 12-1 now that they are past all the big name schools. Northern is the only decent school left.

Arkansas State is supposed to be half decent as well. They beat Georgetown earlier this season.

CBS RPI has FS 26 , UT Arlington 41

The Gophers are currently #8 in the RPI, which clearly means it is the most accurate and objective ranking out right now ;)

Probably too early to trust RPI right now, but to act like we could have sleepwalked to 7-1 with this schedule isn't true either.

Northern Illinois isn't looking so hot this year. Arkansas State looks to be the only opponent of substance left and they lost to TCU by 20+.

I predict 12-1, but still wouldn't be surprised with a loss (still hung up on last year's noncon).

Currently 4-1 against the top 100 (UT-A, Arkansas, Vandy, S. Ill). Of those, only S. Illinois is certain to drop out of the top 100. Arkansas State is currently #23. That is the game I'm most worried about losing in the final 5 NC. They already beat Georgetown and we play them off of a 9 day layoff.

The Gophers are currently #8 in the RPI, which clearly means it is the most accurate and objective ranking out right now ;)

Probably too early to trust RPI right now, but to act like we could have sleepwalked to 7-1 with this schedule isn't true either.

Their SOS is about to take a big hit. Currently their worst opponent played is St. John's (#240-something) but the next 4 opponents are all lower than that. Still if we win out, I would think we'll still be in the 30's-40's to start B1G play.

Arkansas State is currently #23. That is the game I'm most worried about losing in the final 5 NC. They already beat Georgetown and we play them off of a 9 day layoff.

Ark State - good 3pt shooting but no size. Plus, they are at Alabama 12/21 before heading to the U 12/23. hopefully they suffer brain freezes

nothing like pulling into jonesboro and not getting a beer with your steak. hate dry counties

Their SOS is about to take a big hit. Currently their worst opponent played is St. John's (#240-something) but the next 4 opponents are all lower than that. Still if we win out, I would think we'll still be in the 30's-40's to start B1G play.

Agreed with the 30-40 projection. If we are able to be 12-1 and can keep together in the B1G to an extent, we'll be able to keep it about there all year. While I am a believer in FSU and UTA, having a best win being home vs Arkansas coming out of non-conf play isn't ideal. Can't ask too much though, just will need to steal one from a decent team on the road in conference play.

NJIT was not a bad team tonight. With four seniors they will give a lot of teams trouble.

Kind of crazy based off how much of a dumpster fire this team was last year, but I genuinely think this program will have more success than the men across the street at the Bank over the next few years.

12-1 should be a given. On a side note, Murphy is playing like he is in never,never land.

Top Bottom