Gopher Fat Cats Enjoy Vikings Suite

*Liz Eull, not Beth Eull.

And I don't see the problem here.

Optics, my man. The Strib is pounding this story on the front page every day, and now the U of M is caught up in the fallout.

The Strib's narrative is that fat cats and privileged politicians are enjoying free seats to Vikings games and other events. The Stadium commission is run by Dayton appointees, so the incoming Republican majority in the Legislature is going to use this as an issue to go after Dayton - mismanagement of public funds, unethical conduct, cronyism, political favors - while reminding everyone that the average joe can't afford a ticket to a Vikes game, while these SOB's are getting in for free.

Now, Coyle and other U of M employees are being painted with the same broad brush. again the narrative is that anyone who sits in these suites for free is a free-loading SOB who is screwing the fans.

Whether Coyle et al actually did anything wrong is immaterial. The Strib is suggesting that they did something wrong, and that suggestion is enough for some people (especially people who think Ziggy got a sweetheart deal) to believe that they did something wrong.

It's guilt by association. Like HS kids who go to a drinking party, and stay sober. The simple fact that they went to the party is enough to make them look guilty. Coyle & Co. went to the wrong party, and the Principal found out. Now, they have to get called to the Principal's office.

What a joke. From what I read, joke. Only in Minnesota. Only the Star Trib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a joke. From what I read, joke. Only in Minnesota. Only the Star Trib.

Before a GOP person was in charge of the stadium and he brought in all his cronies. Nothing was said then. Only in Minnesota I totally agree.

Before a GOP person was in charge of the stadium and he brought in all his cronies. Nothing was said then. Only in Minnesota I totally agree.

Yep, only in MN would a liberal sports message board poster take a stupid story like this and somehow take a shot at the GOP over it.

I was going to say "only in Minnesota" but I think you guys got it covered, this would never happen in a business friendly state!

I was going to say "only in Minnesota" but I think you guys got it covered, this would never happen in a business friendly state!

That doesn't even make sense. Gophs are a client of the stadium...baseball. They'll also play a role in future NCAA BB tourney events.

That doesn't even make sense. Gophs are a client of the stadium...baseball. They'll also play a role in future NCAA BB tourney events.

I assumed he meant the story.

Yep, only in MN would a liberal sports message board poster take a stupid story like this and somehow take a shot at the GOP over it.

Well Spoof...you know they are going at the Democrats and people are saying its not ok...but was ok when the GOP was doing it. If they are going to cover this now, they need to go back a bit on this. Liberal? No I wouldn't say that. I'm just saying hey, what goes around comes around. I'm just saying... and oh yes, the whining continues on just about everything including this. I know where you're coming from. Doesn't make much sense my friend. I'll give you a pass.

It is a witch hunt. As far as politics goes the Dems have given this State a huge budget surplus.
Now we have to hope the Trump dumpster in Washington and his billionaire appointees don't screw it up.

Looks like it's just abut time to move this to the Off-Topic board...

It is a witch hunt. As far as politics goes the Dems have given this State a huge budget surplus.
Now we have to hope the Trump dumpster in Washington and his billionaire appointees don't screw it up.

Yes, thank you Minnesota Democrats, thank you for taking so much of our money that you have even more than you could spend. Maybe you should use it to build another subsidized light rail.

People realize that the Gophers are playing a home basketball game at US Bank in 2017? There's potential that a future football game could be there. As others have said the U is a client.

This isn't the same as having the husband of the former Mpls. Mayor sitting in the seats.

Yes, thank you Minnesota Democrats, thank you for taking so much of our money that you have even more than you could spend. Maybe you should use it to build another subsidized light rail.

Yep, that's exactly what I think of every time I hit the thousands of potholes, drive on the miles and miles of deteriorating state highways, and cross over/under the many deteriorating bridges.

Never understood the idea of something for nothing. People want to make as much $$ as they can, drive on the best roads, have their kids get a superior education, The roads to be plowed as soon as possible, but want and try to pay the absolute least they can in taxes. Brilliant.

Yep, that's exactly what I think of every time I hit the thousands of potholes, drive on the miles and miles of deteriorating state highways, and cross over/under the many deteriorating bridges.

Never understood the idea of something for nothing. People want to make as much $$ as they can, drive on the best roads, have their kids get a superior education, The roads to be plowed as soon as possible, but want and try to pay the absolute least they can in taxes. Brilliant.

If you think our tax dollars are spent wisely and all we need is more tax revenue, more power to you, keep feeling the Bern.

If you think our tax dollars are spent wisely and all we need is more tax revenue, more power to you, keep feeling the Bern.

Nice, but pretty ineffective try at a jab. I do know that in the 8 years of Pawlenty, we built Target Field, TCF stadium, North star rail, property taxes rose by over $2B, started as Gov with a $4B deficit and left office with a $5B deficit. He somehow did this while still "cutting" spending by $2B....oh, and then there was those "fee" increases and additions.

Nice, but pretty ineffective try at a jab. I do know that in the 8 years of Pawlenty, we built Target Field, TCF stadium, North star rail, property taxes rose by over $2B, started as Gov with a $4B deficit and left office with a $5B deficit. He somehow did this while still "cutting" spending by $2B....oh, and then there was those "fee" increases and additions.

Plus the roads were garbage at the end of TPaw.

So you're countering my argument about high taxes and wasteful government spending with examples of wasteful government spending? I'm glad you're happy to pay more than your fair share.

Also, Tim Pawlenty's budgeting had more effect on surging tuition (my annual bill when I graduated in 2007 was 50% more than it was in 2002, and it's only gotten worse) than the athletic department could ever dream of.

The epitome of "I've got mine, so screw you!"

Back to the point of this article, I think it is a non story that the strib knew would generate clicks because it is a partisan topic and involves the so called elites being treated like elites. Is this type of thing unusual? I have occasionally been invited by vendors to attend a sporting event and as long as my company does not have a policy against such a thing where is the harm? The U of M is not going to bring the final four to a different venue if it ever gets awarded.

From the comments section: "Marketing? Is the truth not that nobody would pay that much money to sit in these suites and so it is better marketing to give them away than to have them empty or admit to the public that they are overpriced? I have received numerous free tickets for sports events at the U for even less popular sports---same purpose, fill the ranks---I never attended and tried to give the tickets to students, but often there are no takers. "

I partially agree. Not the same thing, but newspaper and magazines often give away papers and even subscriptions for many reasons including being able to tell those buying ad space that they have x amount of subscribers. I know I am stating the obvious here, but some of those "subscriptions" are to friends and family of employees.

The commision's use was questionable.

Not really sure what Coyle is doing there but I don't necessarily think there is a conflict of interest or anything like that.

Coyle and others from the U were likely there because they are playing a basketball game at the stadium next year, and are the host school for the Final Four as well as Gopher baseball. It would be idiotic for a school to host a big event at a venue without ever visiting that venue numerous times to get a feel for its operations during big events.

Coyle and others from the U were likely there because they are playing a basketball game at the stadium next year, and are the host school for the Final Four as well as Gopher baseball. It would be idiotic for a school to host a big event at a venue without ever visiting that venue numerous times to get a feel for its operations during big events.

Makes sense.

So you're countering my argument about high taxes and wasteful government spending with examples of wasteful government spending? I'm glad you're happy to pay more than your fair share.

Nope, just countering your clearly uninformed comment blaming Dems.

Top Bottom