2P% Against: 39.5- 11th
3P% Against: 28.7- 29th
EFG% Against: 40.7- 6th
TS% Against: 45.0- 10th
Block%: 15.3- 26th
Defensive Rating: 89.5- 33rd
Adj. Defensive Efficiency: 93.0- 24th

*Rankings are national rankings

Really like what I have seen on that end so far. Lynch is obviously an astronomical defensive upgrade from King. Amir's length on the perimeter also helps alot. Curry has been a lowkey good defender too, especially for a Freshman. Gotta give props to the Bakery as well, he looks like he actually knows what he is doing out there. We finally have the personnel to play almost exclusively man defense, which is nice.

Don't know if those numbers are super sustainable but I do think this group has kids who can defend finally. McBrayer and Coffey are the longest set of wings the Gophers have had in a long time and both seem willing to play tough D. Springs looks like he could be a guy who plays tough defense as well given his size and strength. Not sure if he is always engaged on that end but if he is, that's a good 3-way group.

Lynch is obviously a huge key as well.

The big key though will be if this group can defend hard without fouling. They don't have guard depth to withstand nights where multiple guys get in foul trouble. But it's nice to finally have athletes on the wing that can guard people or you can at least see not getting manhandled.

It's also nice that Dupree seems to be able to handle PG duties on both ends of the floor. We have been forced only once (I think) to play Sharpe at PG to spell Mason.

The defense has been a most pleasant surprise so far. They will have to bring it every night because it's very likely we're going to have some games where the shot making will be god awful. Thank goodness free throw shooting doesn't matter--one of the dumber things the self-proclaimed "Smartest Guy on GH" ever stated--or we could even lose a game or two (or three or four, etc) on just foul shooting.

Top Bottom