Holiday FB conflict with MSU

book

Reaction score
The bad thing about the bowl is that it starts at 600 and the MSU game begins at 800. Biggest hoops game in two years and this... No band either... Hope COYLE is at least inquiring about a change in the BB time to accomodate all gopher fans. (I'm sure MSU would do the same in a similar position)

The bad thing about the bowl is that it starts at 600 and the MSU game begins at 800. Biggest hoops game in two years and this... No band either... Hope COYLE is at least inquiring about a change in the BB time to accomodate all gopher fans. (I'm sure MSU would do the same in a similar position)

Timing is unfortunate for certain. That said, there will be bigger games this season.. MSU is great, but a little down right now and games during winter break (early BT game) is always a little off from a crowd standpoint. Unless we crap our pants (always a possibility), I predict the Wisky and Indy games will be bigger and the Barn rocking even more.

But yes, it sucks that fans cannot watch both.

Iowa's opener was moved today 30 minutes. I'm not sure what options we have, outside of starting it at 9pm (very late and not likely) or 4pm, (really early, would likely negatively impact the crowd).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

How about a day earlier or a day later?

And screw up travels plans, TV plans, practice schedules, etc. so our fan base can watch a football game?

Not happening.

Fill The Barn.

Go Gophers!!

Timing is unfortunate for certain. That said, there will be bigger games this season.. MSU is great, but a little down right now and games during winter break (early BT game) is always a little off from a crowd standpoint. Unless we crap our pants (always a possibility), I predict the Wisky and Indy games will be bigger and the Barn rocking even more.

But yes, it sucks that fans cannot watch both.

That's probably a good assessment of MSU but it is a huge game because it is so important for this team to get off to a running start with home win. An early win like that would do a lot for the confidence of a team with no experience of winning.

That's not going to happen. It's an ESPN2 game, and MSU would be unlikely to agree with it anyway. And moving the start time to 4:00 or earlier would make the crowd worse, I'd imagine.

And screw up travels plans, TV plans, practice schedules, etc. so our fan base can watch a football game?

Not happening.

Fill The Barn.

Go Gophers!!

Basketball first. Big game. Need a win. Agreed. Fill the Barn.

I won't be going to either game so will just be recording the basketball game and watching it after the football game.

I asked Wolfson about a possible start time change, "will check tomorrow if there is flexibility to move up. TV tends to dictate though." Basically they arent going to move the game if they have to move off of ESPN2 so who knows what is going to happen.

I'll likely watch both with a two TV setup in the living room. :cool:

I've had enough of Mitch Leidner for one season. I'm going to the Barn.

Go to the barn and watch the bowl on your ESPN app, if the Gopher football team is keeping it close.

I think I'll just spend the whole evening at Sensors, I imagine the room with the gopher football game will dedicate a TV for hoops as well watch both at once

B1G opener always a tone setter, crowd needs to be engaged from opening tip

No game will be bigger for the psyche of this team than the B1G opener. Conference openers can set a tone for the rest of the season. Lose this, and the Gophers are staring 0-2 right in the face with the next game @ Purdue. Gophers will be playing a talented, but young and size-challenged MSU squad playing its first B1G road game. The crowd needs to be big (at least 13,000), and it needs to be engaged from the get-go.

Bummer that it conflicts with the bowl game. That's certainly not going to help the crowd, but I have a sneaking suspicion a 12-1 record with Sparty & Izzo coming to town will get a lot of people in the seats.

No game will be bigger for the psyche of this team than the B1G opener. Conference openers can set a tone for the rest of the season. Lose this, and the Gophers are staring 0-2 right in the face with the next game @ Purdue. Gophers will be playing a talented, but young and size-challenged MSU squad playing its first B1G road game. The crowd needs to be big (at least 13,000), and it needs to be engaged from the get-go.

Bummer that it conflicts with the bowl game. That's certainly not going to help the crowd, but I have a sneaking suspicion a 12-1 record with Sparty & Izzo coming to town will get a lot of people in the seats.

Totally agree, 5 of their next 7 games after this will be on the road and the two home games are Ohio State/Wisconsin. It will be key to win this game to build confidence into the hardest stretch of the season.

I'll be at the barn. Will watch the football game the next night.

San Diego or the Barn with a team that barely got by Vanderbilt. It will probably be 10 below.
and snowing. San Diego in a heartbeat. And it is not even close.

San Diego or the Barn with a team that barely got by Vanderbilt. It will probably be 10 below.

Yes, but remember you'll be forced to watch 4 quarters of Gopher offensive play calling. :mad:

They're both good options, but I really don't get how you can be down on the basketball team right now. They'll likely be on a 6 game winning streak and possibly favored against Michigan State with an opportunity for a statement victory.

If the athletic department gets the game switched to 4 pm, it will be among the dumbest decisions of all time. If the Gophers were playing Rutgers or Penn State it would make perfect sense, but this is Michigan State and the B1G opener for a likely 12-1 team we're talking about. You don't take any chance of hurting your crowd simply because your 8-4, middlin' football team is playing on TV.

If the athletic department gets the game switched to 4 pm, it will be among the dumbest decisions of all time. If the Gophers were playing Rutgers or Penn State it would make perfect sense, but this is Michigan State and the B1G opener for a likely 12-1 team we're talking about. You don't take any chance of hurting your crowd simply because your 8-4, middlin' football team is playing on TV.

The basketball team would love to be middlin' right now.

The basketball team would love to be middlin' right now.

Fair point.

However, the season that's going on right now, the Gophers have not been middlin'. Gophers have been above average, and perhaps picking up some steam if they can get to the MSU game 12-1. I don't think the U Athletic Department will do it, but if they do just don't think it would be wise to move a home game with a notable opponent to 4 p.m. on what will still be a work day for a lot of people. 6 p.m. I could understand, but no earlier.

Fair point.

However, the season that's going on right now, the Gophers have not been middlin'. Gophers have been above average, and perhaps picking up some steam if they can get to the MSU game 12-1. I don't think the U Athletic Department will do it, but if they do just don't think it would be wise to move a home game with a notable opponent to 4 p.m. on what will still be a work day for a lot of people. 6 p.m. I could understand, but no earlier.

Agreed. Someone brought up the IU game, but that worked perfectly because their football game is really late. Ours is at 6, so the only way to remove the conflict is to move the basketball game to 4 or 9:30, neither one of which seems to be a tenable solution.

Top Bottom