Bowl game swag bags: (Holiday Bowl: Gift suite, Fossil watch; New Era cap)

I'm not sure what the gift suite includes but a medium priced watch and a baseball cap doesn't sound too impressive.

I'm not sure what the gift suite includes but a medium priced watch and a baseball cap doesn't sound too impressive.

I'd guess the gift suite is probably valued somewhere between $350-$600 for the items. That is pretty standard.

You ain't got sh*t unless you got swag in your bag!

Good thing we didn't get the Music City Bowl...that one only has a Fossil watch!

I would guess we should be able to find most of these items on Craiglist soon after the game.

I agree with a post above-- why again do they get these? The trip to a bowl game is plenty of reward-- no need to keep throwing more gifts into what is wrong with college sports

I've never understood why the NCAA allows these swag bags to come from sponsors, but if these teams got them from boosters the program would get the death penalty. I thought student-athletes weren't allowed to accept any extra benefits that weren't available to the general student body at their school. But unless all 50,000+ students at the U are also getting swag bags, this seems like an NCAA-endorsed violation of its own policy.

I've never understood why the NCAA allows these swag bags to come from sponsors, but if these teams got them from boosters the program would get the death penalty. I thought student-athletes weren't allowed to accept any extra benefits that weren't available to the general student body at their school. But unless all 50,000+ students at the U are also getting swag bags, this seems like an NCAA-endorsed violation of its own policy.

Kind of like serving beer at TCF. If one gets it, we all get it!

This is why it makes no sense to me.

Easy - these apply to whomever is playing in the game, whether it's Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, or whomever. The free gifts would be coming to them regardless of who they are by virtue of their playing in the game. A corporate sponsor has no vested interest in a Minnesota player specifically - it's not as though they're trying to entice Minnesota to come and play in the game. On the other hand, a booster has a vested interest in getting a player to come and play specifically at his school. There is enticement involved, and that's the key difference. It's a completely different scenario.

Easy - these apply to whomever is playing in the game, whether it's Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, or whomever. The free gifts would be coming to them regardless of who they are by virtue of their playing in the game. A corporate sponsor has no vested interest in a Minnesota player specifically - it's not as though they're trying to entice Minnesota to come and play in the game. On the other hand, a booster has a vested interest in getting a player to come and play specifically at his school. There is enticement involved, and that's the key difference. It's a completely different scenario.

To all who don't understand, please read Dpo's response.

Top Bottom