Tom Tuttle from Tacoma, WA

This video is played at every home WSU football game if we are losing to start the 4th quarter, this season only saw it one time, John Candy's character is a hero to us. Our fight song means the world to our Students and alums. It was written in 1919 by 2 students as a class project. It is the first thing your learn when you arrive on campus for orientation and and it is the last thing you do at graduation before you turn your tassels to the left.

There are very, very few places in FBS football like WSU. The population of the entire town is 31,000, and 21,000 are students. When the kids go home for summer it is a ghost town. What Leach has done here is beyond amazing and I hope he never leaves.

Pullman is 300 miles from Seattle, 90 miles from Spokane and sits in the middle of wheat fields as far as your can see in any direction. The entire county could fit in the football stadium. It has not changed in 70 years, just a few more apartments north of campus. Downtown is Mayberry and you expect Barney Fife to be on duty.

Interesting....good to know. I figured that Candy had become a cult hero to you all.

John Candy was only slightly heavier than Mike Leach.

Hey, totally not trying to bust your bubble but sounds a lot like Penn State and State College, PA. It has maybe 42,000 in State College, and 39,000 students.

Hey, totally not trying to bust your bubble but sounds a lot like Penn State and State College, PA. It has maybe 42,000 in State College, and 39,000 students.

Except Hapless Valley is nestled in the mountains and feels like a vacation destination. I've been to both and quite frankly was shocked at how in the middle of nowhere Pullman seems.

There is one key difference and you have to look at the make up of the areas around both towns and they are not even close. State College is in Center County and is combined with Clearfield County. It is called the "State College-DuBois, PA Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is made up of two counties in central Pennsylvania" These Counties are divided into 9 burrows and combined for the census with a population of 235,632 as of 2010. This works out to 2,429.8 people per square mile.

WSU is in Whitman County, the population of the country as of 2015 was 48,177, that includes 21,000 students in Pullman. The county is huge 2,159 sq mi, so that puts the population density at 22 people per square mile.

Here is a drive from Ellenburg to Pullman Washington. Ellensburg is 120 miles from Seattle, so we are still 180 miles from Pullman with 155 miles of it on a 2 lane hwy after you leave I-90 when you cross the Columbia. Show me how many cities you see in this 180 miles, Pullman is in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing like it in America. If you count more than one your lose the prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxQfrXs5BQ

Just a bit of clarification. Students are not typically counted in a census, as they are not permanent residents. Most are counted at their parents address. This is especially true for freshman and sophs. Upper class men may consider themselves Pullman residents, but only if they live there year round.

Top Bottom